Thread: 2012 final drive question

2012 final drive question

I've had the final drive fluid changed twice in 12K miles BUT

The splines/gears [ not sure of the correct terminology ] at the rear of the drive have not been checked to see if the boot has let water in. I don't ride through streams, it saw several days of heavy rain last year heading to Ak. but that's it. 23K on the odo

Should I have my mechanic break it open and check the gears for rust issues. It's been bugging me since I saw one whose gears were completed rusted but had not caused problems for the owner [ yet ].

Is this something I should have checked while it's in for oil change/plugs/valve adjustments? Or is it, as my mechanic states, something rarely checked on a scheduled basis?

Thanks
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    I've had the final drive fluid changed twice in 12K miles BUT

The splines/gears [ not sure of the correct terminology ] at the rear of the drive have not been checked to see if the boot has let water in. I don't ride through streams, it saw several days of heavy rain last year heading to Ak. but that's it. 23K on the odo

Should I have my mechanic break it open and check the gears for rust issues. It's been bugging me since I saw one whose gears were completed rusted but had not caused problems for the owner [ yet ].

Is this something I should have checked while it's in for oil change/plugs/valve adjustments? Or is it, as my mechanic states, something rarely checked on a scheduled basis?

Thanks
    Sure. It only takes a few minutes.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Sure. It only takes a few minutes.

Thanks, he's a busy guy so if it was a lot of time involved I might not have him do it. Just a few minutes, I want him to check it,

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

You can easily see surface rust by pulling back on the rubber boot with a strong flashlight. Though not 100% always accurate, if you have a lot of surface rust, you can bet that your splines aren't perfect either.

I periodically pull back the boot to check for water intrusion, just make sure you fully seat the rubber boot when you're done taking a peek. As Paul noted, it doesn't take an experienced home or pro mechanic to get in to check (and they may as well lube it up while they are in).
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

thanks, I think I want the mechanic to re-grease as preventative maintenance anyway