Thread: Surging

Surging

Just got back from my first long trip on my 2011 R1200RT and occasionally I experienced surging when I used the cruise control. Anybody else experience this with their RT?

P Monk

surging?

Was there an actual increase in speed, or was the change an increase in throttle? Even on a road that appears to be flat there are some ups and downs that the cruise control will compensate for by increasing or decreasing throttle.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (the Black Hole), 2011 R1200RT.

With the CC set I sometimes roll throttle on without realizing it and then, when I release the throttle to pick my nose (or whatever), the bike suddenly slows to regain the set speed. Catches me by surprise every time.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Quote Originally Posted by dpmonk View Post
    Was there an actual increase in speed, or was the change an increase in throttle? Even on a road that appears to be flat there are some ups and downs that the cruise control will compensate for by increasing or decreasing throttle.
    The speed would decrease for a couple of seconds and then go back to the speed I had it set. This was on level road with my hand off the throttle.

P Monk

surging

Sounds like a problem with the CC alright since the engine is not surging. Sounds like something way above the average owners ability to correct. Pappy35 describes something I do way too often. Makes for a rough ride. Another mistake I often make is to push the resume switch when the bike has slowed too much from the setting. Would be nice if had a slower reaction.
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (the Black Hole), 2011 R1200RT.