• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Heat shields-R75/5

Have acquired a set of used Krauser bags and mounts for my '72 R75/5 toaster. The muffler sits perilously close to the bottom of the bag, as in, "will it melt when run"? Any thoughts or resources for heat shields for the bottom of these bags? Thanks.

Have acquired a set of used Krauser bags and mounts for my '72 R75/5 toaster. The muffler sits perilously close to the bottom of the bag, as in, "will it melt when run"? Any thoughts or resources for heat shields for the bottom of these bags? Thanks.

Hmm---there should be an inch or so of free air space between the muffler and bag. If there's not, one or more somethings are bent, saggy, etc. I've seen heat shields (Luftmeister?) attached to the mufflers that cover the conical, forward end of airhead mufflers, and that prevent the rider's shoe/boot heels from melting, but I haven't seen shields that extend back far enough to prevent hot contact with the saddlebags' bottoms.

Just a general question...were Krausers equipment for /5s? I kinda thought that these bags showed up a bit later. If so, that might be why they're so close...plus you have a short wheel base (SWB) which likely squeezes things.

-- Update -- Found an old ad from Bob Beach who sold Krauser products from West Germany. One of the small pictures shows a heat shield extended back probably then length of the driveshaft, but not to the final drive. Clearly not long enough to cover all the way under the bag, though. Found this post and this basically looks like it:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?74387-Exhaust-heat-shields&p=954851&viewfull=1#post954851

I think Kurt is right and those are newer bags than your model. One solution that is used on my 1100RT is a heat shield pad that BMW installs on the bottom or the oilhead system bags on the exhaust pipe side. It's a stick on part and can be ordered as a replacement. Go to the MAXBMW parts fiche and do a search on this number: 46 54 2 316 611

They are pricey for what they are of course but gives you an idea for a simple solution to your problem. What you need is some heat deflection and insulation if you lack clearance for cooling.

I don't think the Krauser or H&B bags were available for /5s initially--I think they arrived during the /6 era. Nonetheless, MAX's fiche shows new ones available now for the R75/5.
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51885&rnd=07242017 I'd assume that there would have to be a difference between a set of case holders for short wheelbase vs. long wheelbase bikes.

Snowbum's treatise on luggage systems might shed some additional light, as would some knowledgeable staffer at MAX's or Bob's BMW. Figuring out which variant you've got in hand may be problematic, too.

Back