• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Video from the 1930s

Liaison
Staff member
Ran across this video on facebook...I've been told you don't have to have an account to view the film. Probably around 1937. Would be nice to be able to understand German.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpeter.ritz.92%2Fvideos%2F1666031553423455%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="420" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Well, I did keep hearing "bee em vee"! I know how google translates individual words as well as websites, but didn't think it could do language on the fly.

Google doesn't seem to be able to handle the translation. Looks like I'd have to download some other software for that.

Ran across this video on facebook...I've been told you don't have to have an account to view the film. Probably around 1937. Would be nice to be able to understand German.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpeter.ritz.92%2Fvideos%2F1666031553423455%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="420" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Awesome find! I'll be gone for a few days and won't have access to a computer, but when I get back, I'll try to find it on YouTube and add English translation to it. If someone wants to go ahead and locate it on YouTube while I'm out, even better. :)

One thing up front: The guess of 1937 is correct. The narrator mentioned "for fourteen years now..." at the shot with the year 1923.

I fed the video into Happy Scribe using a free account and got this transcript in German. I then fed that into Google translate and got this English. Best I could do for you. Someone else could probably parse it better.

German:

BMW. Hält.

Die 272 Kilometer pro Stunde den Weltrekord für 500 und 750 Kubikzentimeter Grabrede. Tatsache ist. Die deutsche Nationalmannschaft. Gewann dreimal hintereinander. Die heiß umstrittene Trophäe. Der Internationalen. Hagara. Dreimal auf BMW. Tatsache ist BMW baut seit 14 Jahren Hochleistung nach vollkommen neuen Konstruktions Grundsätzen die Richtung geben wurden. Tatsache ist BMW wurde zum Pionier des Kavan. Antrieb. Dem unverwüstlichen schmutziger und Hinterradantrieb und noch etwas Wichtiges bei BMW der wundervoll gekapselt Motor Getriebe Block Teleskop Gabel mit ihrer ausgezeichneten Feder Wirkung. BMW Maschinen in reiche Auswahl für alle Ansprüche.

Wie Führerschein freie weil er. Die neue geländegängige 35 350 Kubikzentimeter. Die erfolgreiche. Jobmaschine mit 550 Kubikzentimeter. ähnlich ist die neue erweckt gebaut die geländegängige 600 Kubikzentimeter Thoren und Beiwagen Maschine und nun noch die bekannten 750 Kubikzentimeter. Touren und Maschinen. Und. 17. Gelände die bei Kälte und alt und harten Prüfungsfragen erprobt und bewährt hat waren der Banken die Hochwertigkeit. Der BMW. Räder die beide. Brüder W.

English:

BMW keeps the 272 kilometre per hour world record for 500 and 750 cc
fact is The German National team won 3 times behind each other the hot
controversial trophy The international, Hagara 3 times on BMW

fact is BMW builds for 14 years high performance to completely new construction
principles

the direction given were
fact is BMW has been the pioneer of the Cardan drive

the indestructible dirty and rear-wheel drive

and still something important
at BMW the wonderful capsuled engine transmission block

and the telescope fork
with their excellent feather effect

BMW machinery in rich selection for all claims

as driver's license free because
of the new terrain 35 350 cc

the successful job machine With 550 cc

similar is the new brought built terrain 600 cc
Thoren and sidecar machine
and now still the known 750 cc tour and machinery

and 17 terrain at the cold and old and tough exam questions proven and proven
as were the banks and the high quality

The BMW bikes
both brothers W

Last edited:
Nice, Mike! :thumb I'll have to go back and watch the video while reading your text.

One thing from the translation -- "BMW has been the pioneer of the Kavan drive". That's likely "Cardan" drive.

Back