• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Nova Scotia Trip -- Tips/Advice, Anyone?

MoparGuy

I am trying to put together an epic ride from Michigan - Nova Scotia. Do you think it is ridiculously ambitious to squeeze all the great scenic routes when everyone only has 7-9 days block of days? :scratch What months will be the best time to visit? Could anyone please recommend or assist with "must see" scenic routes? Tips and advice are immensely appreciated! :wave

Attachments

• NOVA SCOTIA PLAN RIDE 2b SMALLER.jpg
    NOVA SCOTIA PLAN RIDE 2b SMALLER.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Some Thoughts

Your proposed route looks interesting, but a lot will depend on the group's preferences. Traffic in Toronto and Montreal tends to be very heavy. I have enjoyed getting to the south side of the St. Lawrence River as I am leaving Ontario, and following some of the older roads closer to the river. There is a lot to see in Old Quebec City. We spent two nights there with the whole second day to look around and see things. Glenora Distillery as you are doing the Cabot trail has a tour, tasting and restaurant. There is an old restored fortress at Louisbourg NS that could occupy a whole day. Whale watching from Digby Neck was enjoyable. Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg, and Annapolis Royal were interesting. I would tend to think your time frame is short to see everything along the way, but sometimes a road trip just lets you see why you need to go back. If your time frame is long enough, you could request tourism guides from the provinces you are most interested in seeing and then pick and choose places to see that would suit your group.

I live near Toronto and avoid it at all costs. Travelling through Montreal does not have to be too bad if you take 30 which is south of the city. Check to see if the ferry is running from Bar Harbour to Yarmouth Nova Scotia.

I think your time frame is too short to see much in Nova Scotia. I usually allow 5+ days to get to Nova Scotia. I've always taken the south shore of the St. Lawrence but locals have told me the north shore is more scenic. I believe at Baie-Comeau you would take a three and half hour ferry to the south shore, to continue through New Brunswick on your way to N. S.

Halifax, Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg, the N.S. shoreline, Fortress Louisburg and of course, Cape Breton's Cabot Trail are all worthwhile sites to visit. So much to see in so little time.

Despite my leisurely ride to N. S., I leave Amerherst on the border of NS/NB (by 6:30 am) and can return home in two days. I would not wish to ride there as quickly as I'd be too tired to enjoy Nova Scotia.

Last edited:
7-9 days riding to and from Michigan? That will leave you very little time to see much of anything. Even I will say the Cabot Trail would be worth the run but the biggest reality is that you won’t be able to go to Newfoundland which is much nicer.

Not enough time....

Like others have mentioned, I don't think you have enough time to do the trip justice. I did the same thing from central Indiana many years ago, took about 15 days, did not do the Cabot Trail and it wasn't enough. Admittedly, we do not ride hard, but if you want to see everything on the route and enjoy it, you'll need more than 7-9 days. I am thinking about doing it again by myself (went with other people last time) and I would want 3 weeks. Just my opinion!

No doubt about it...

not enough time.

Consider your route continuing ONLY around the Gaspe, then toward Acadia... maybe 9 or 10 days would work. With favorable weather.

But no PEI or N.S.... OR your intended track, would be easy in just 7 or 9 days.

It's not so much about the riding/roads up in the Maritimes, it's the scenery and people/experiences off the bike... and that takes time.

"travel'n" John

Last edited:
not enough time.
I
Consider your route continuing ONLY around the Gaspe, then toward Acadia... maybe 9 or 10 would work. With favorable weather.

But no PEI or N.S.... OR your intended track would be easy in 9 or 10.

It's not so much about the riding/roads up in the Maritimes, it's the scenery and people/experiences off the bike... and that takes time.
"travel'n" John

I have to agree with John. I personally prefer the Gaspe Bay/Peninsula ride over the Cabot Trail (and I've done both four times).

Before leaving on the trip, lookup some road signage translations into French. Quebec is the only Canadian province where road signs are almost always only in French.

If you wish a direct route home, the Canadian route to Michigan, although on the Trans Canada Highway, a slab, this is faster than through the US. Riding through Montreal at 8:00 am on a Sunday morning is a breeze; you'll be practically the only vehicle on the road.

The only time I ride the 401 through Toronto is on a Sunday. Any other time I take the outrageously pricey 407 toll road to avoid the 401 bumper to bumper traffic and construction delays. There's no stopping as they'll mail a bill. Failure to pay their fee will result in some unpleasantness the next time you enter Canada. Sorry about that.

I just put this itinerary together for me and a friend without knowing much about the area. Suggestions? Meet-ups?

Day1 . Wed Oct 16
Boston MA - Calais ME (5 hr 30 min drive)
Calais Motor Inn

Day 2. Thu. Oct 17
Calais ME > Wolfville NS (5 hr 45 min drive)
Ferry unavailable!
Stay with my cousin

Day 3. Fri. Oct 18
Wolfville NS > Sydney NS (4 hr 50 min drive)
Travelodge by Wyndham

Day 4. Sat Oct 19
Sydney NS > Malpeque NS (5 hr 35 min drive)
Clark's Sunny Isle Motel

Day 5. Sun Oct 20
Malpeque - Bangor ME (6 hr drive)
The Charles Inn

Day 6 Monday Oct 21
Bangor ME - Boston MA (3 hr 45 min drive)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just returned from a 12 day trip from Toronto, around Gaspe' peninsula, Cabot Trail, Halifax, Saint Stephen New Brunswick, Mount Washington, Lake Placid and home again. One day off in Quebec City and one day off in Halifax. If I was doing it again I would take 16 to 21 days depending upon what you want to see. Last Week of August to second week in September usually nice weather and schools going back so better time to travel. Less bugs, days cooler but still long enough.
First trip on my new RT. Great touring bike. Needs a Russell Day Long seat.

Did Gaspe to Fundy from Massachusetts in 2018

I am trying to put together an epic ride from Michigan - Nova Scotia. Do you think it is ridiculously ambitious to squeeze all the great scenic routes when everyone only has 7-9 days block of days? :scratch What months will be the best time to visit? Could anyone please recommend or assist with "must see" scenic routes? Tips and advice are immensely appreciated! :wave

We did part of your trip in 9 days and roughly 2,000 miles. Two rest days. Mass to Quebec City day one; Quebec City to Matane day two (includes ferry ride across St. Lawrence); Matane to Perce day three; rest day day four; Perce to Bouctouche, NB day five; Bouctouche to Monction with a few side trips to visit some relatives day six; Monction to Bangor, ME day seven (with a stop at Hopewell Rocks); rained out day eight then Bangor to Fitchburg, MA day 9.

I would have spent more time visiting relatives and eating seafood in New Brunswick but there were a total of 7 bikes and all stops took a good deal of coordinating.

If you do get out to NS you'll be traveling through NB. Here's a good restaurant, Fred's, that we've gone to several times located in Cape Bald, NB (Cap Pele, NB). Near Shediac, NB. The Cabot Trail will be damp and cool in August if you go. Went there back in August of 2004.

Good luck GoldRush!

Just saw this thread. I’ve done your basic route 3 times. The 1 st was solo and a brisk 8 days. After picking up a regular riding partner (wife) the last 2 trips were 10-11 days. Toronto is not pleasant but none of the 401/Quebec (10 ?) is. You have great options East of Montreal and there is a 2 laner

which hugs the St. Lawrence. We prefer to jump into new bruns. At Rivers-de-Loup which is terrific down to Fredericton. On the US side the state road from st.cath. NY through the finger lakes and Saratoga springs is +. We cut through the upper half of NH/VT and head towards Downeaster Maine. Lower Maine is Touristy and less interesting than N. Mi. The 3 trips were in August. Mostly good weather fewer bugs. We had planned to go back this August but the world stopped. Hopefully next Year Detroit to PEI

Since the OP asked for itinerary suggestions, I’ll mention the Fortress at Louisberg on Cape Breton. Neat, very historical place.

Regarding the timeline, we have spent time touring NS, Cape Breton, and PEI. We spent about 7-10 days at each of those destinations, plus travel time to get there. So much to see and do. I can’t imagine driving there and back in 9 days from Michigan.

Looking at six weeks to do Spearfish to Spearfish - TransLab, NL, PEI all of the above then down into NB, Maine, NH, Vermont, NY etc... No real set itinerary. Was going to do it this August/September - we would have left last Monday but alas, COVID-19 got in the way.

They're not going to let you across the border yet. We're opening a Moto B7B in Newfoundland but covid put a stop to that this spring. We could still take tenters.

Back