• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R65LS Final Drive burping gear oil?

seandaly

Hi all,

Sorry, yet another question about this new R65. I noticed this morning, after some high-speed interstate slabbing that made the rear end bounce quite a bit, that I had a bit of gear oil coming out of the final drive. It's not very much, and it does appear to be running down from the breather on the top and runs most of the way down the side of the final drive case. The rear wheel got a bit of splattering too. But, since the wheel hub appears bone dry, I am assuming it came from the breather and not anywhere else that it shouldn't be coming from. Does this just happen occasionally? My oilhead RT doesn't do this.

They do that sometimes when it's cold out. Where are you? If it is summer in your part of the planet maybe the final drive is/was overfilled and the easy way out for the extra is through the breather, which is better than blowing the seal into the driveshaft housing....

Thanks, Steve. It isn't cold in my area (Southern California) but I did buy the bike from a dealer and they serviced it just prior to my purchase and I'll be the filled it on the high side, so I'm guessing it's just excess oil that's finding its way out. I cleaned the surfaces on the final drive and have not noticed any more oil since cleaning it, so I think it's okay. Thanks for your reasurances!

Another possibility is that the seal separating the final drive oil from the driveshaft oil may have failed, overfilling the final drive. You should be able to remove the excess oil using the check screw on the rear of the final drive, but if 150cc or more comes out, it probably came from the driveshaft cavity.

Back