• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

TDC pin locator tool, dimensions?

AjaxTheDog

I had one of these tools then lost it somewhere. I recall it was like a 3/8" rod with a bend in it. I have some rod stock around so I figured I'd just make one.

My question is, how long is the section that gets inserted into the hole through the flywheel?

I remember that when it was it its correct position at TDC the rod went in all the way to the bend in the tool so you could tell if you were in the right position or not. Thanks in advance.
TDC tool.JPG

From the specs GS Addict sent me when he rebuilt my my hall sensor.... a 5/16 or 8 mm rod bent 90 degrees 4” x 3.5”s. It worked perfectly for me.

As I recall, based on someone's advice, I went to the local hardware store and obtained a 3/8-inch square u-bolt such as shown below -

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nationa...ith-Hex-Nut-2192BC-675-SQ-U-BOLT-ZN/204660109

national-hardware-u-bolts-2192bc-675-sq-u-bolt-zn-64_400_compressed.jpg

I cut the u-bolt at one of the corners and used a grinding wheel to round off the end a bit (a dull point). I painted the threaded end with fluorescent orange paint to help me remember the this was inserted in the flywheel. Bike will definitely NOT crank with this in place. This is used with my R1100RS.

As I recall, based on someone's advice, I went to the local hardware store and obtained a 3/8-inch square u-bolt such as shown below -

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nationa...ith-Hex-Nut-2192BC-675-SQ-U-BOLT-ZN/204660109

View attachment 74579

I cut the u-bolt at one of the corners and used a grinding wheel to round off the end a bit (a dull point). I painted the threaded end with fluorescent orange paint to help me remember the this was inserted in the flywheel. Bike will definitely NOT crank with this in place. This is used with my R1100RS.

Brilliant! Yeah, I was thinking I'd put a long string on it tied to the ignition key. Make it foolproof.

Brilliant! Yeah, I was thinking I'd put a long string on it tied to the ignition key. Make it foolproof.

Drill a hole through the end of the rod, use a keychain ring to attach a small carabiner, and clip the ignition key there until you are done with the task. Strings and ribbons sometimes get “temporarily” untied or moved if in the way of working...

Best,
DG

Back