Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The motorcycle community....

ZWEI KOLBEN
    3% of the population ride motorcycles. 5% of the population think they have seen a UFO. You don't realize how many white Camrys there are on the road until you buy one.

You, as a motorcyclist, anecdotally judging the size or health of the US motorcycle market is a little suspect.

It the (motorcycle market) is falling apart.

Just look at the National, AARP should have had a booth there.

Quote Originally Posted by scqtt View Post

Nah! Most are already members.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Nah! Most are already members.
    For MANY years. BTW does AARP offer a lifetime membership?

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Boy, I love Friedle's humor...
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    Boy, I love Friedle's humor...
    Thanks ! I'll be here through Tuesday. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by scqtt View Post
    Did you just notice that? It was true at my first National in York, PA at age 29.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    For MANY years. BTW does AARP offer a lifetime membership?

Friedle
    They sell life insurance. Kinda the opposite.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Mary Matalin’s husband once advised Hillary’s husband “it’s the economy, stupid.”

Paul’s comment regarding student loans and the comment regarding the “crash” seem most relevant. Jobs as they relate to degrees and how long they do is more fluid now, too.

To Paul’s notion regarding buying motorcycles, I’d add the notion that road travel as a hobby (and the associated expense) is a victim as well. It might be less political hopefully to suggest perhaps burning fossil fuel as a hobby may be less appealing also. I embrace a bit of being old fashioned, but don’t expect it adopted by those younger.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Chicken Little

"The sky is falling."

There is an unhealthy preoccupation with more is better; growth means health, lack of growth indicates failure. HD is definitely on the skids these days, why should I care? BMW seems to be holding up well, good for them. Regardless of how either company performs, there will be motorcycles to admire, purchase and ride. Asian marquees continue to sell vastly more small bikes, well, due to Asian demographics.

I'm not particularly concerned with what "youth do". Each generation that ages looks back at the youths and shake their collective heads.

Fuel it or Charge it and just ride for the pure joy of riding. Horses have seen a significant drop in sales but there are still plenty of horses to ride. Worry about the important stuff like did you remember to zip your fly before you went into the grocery store.

"Fuel it or Charge it and just ride for the pure joy of riding. Horses have seen a significant drop in sales but there are still plenty of horses to ride. Worry about the important stuff like did you remember to zip your fly before you went into the grocery store."

True but...look at all the 'hoops' one must jump through to ride said horse.Stable the horse, feed the horse, shovel after the horse, or stable it a distance away, and drive there to ride it in a limited manner. I would sure hate to see motorcycles / motorcycling come to that. But they may very likely be reduced to just that.

Oh well, when satellite controlled /self driving "pods" take over our streets ... there will be no room for motorcycles , they will likely not even be permitted......
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by crucian View Post
    ...why should I care? ...I'm not particularly concerned with what "youth do"....
    One thing I will care about is when our newspapers shut down. I'm going to miss my daily paper.

But it'll be better for the environment, I suppose.
    Rinty

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    One thing I will care about is when our newspapers shut down. I'm going to miss my daily paper.

But it'll be better for the environment, I suppose.
    Agreed about the daily paper. On the environment - trees are a renewable resource.

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Oh well, when satellite controlled /self driving "pods" take over our streets ... there will be no room for motorcycles , they will likely not even be permitted......
    A true "Sky is Falling" statement. It's going to be all right, I promise......

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I think it's likely it will be a lot safer for motorcycles when fully mature AV's dominate the roadways. There will arguably be more room for motorcycles when you factor in a smaller fleet of cars utilized much more efficiently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duWFnukFJhQ

[QUOTE=71243;1174196]
    True but...look at all the 'hoops' one must jump through to ride said horse.Stable the horse, feed the horse, shovel after the horse, r stable it a distance away, and drive there to ride it in a limited manner. /QUOTE]

As a person that maintains a small herd of critters called equines I cannot ignore such ignorance, I walk down to the pasture, whistle or having already been seen, my BUDS are there at the gate waiting for me. I know they are waiting for a treat, their daily sweet feed; but surely not put that heavy leather thing on their back, a metal rod in their mouth to make them feel uncomfortable, and finally me to climb on board and head out...……..What drivel to suggest that there is a "pain in the a.s" factor there.

One chooses one's own joys in life. lol....some even choose to sit on a machine and go through snow drifts or across deserts to fill the void and need in life to overcome boredom and lack of fulfilling adrenalin rushes. For me, I head my critter out the back gate and point him/her towards one of the mountains that surround me or just over to see a friend.

By the way, ever want to find out how idiotic drivers can really be. Ride an equine along a highway or even on your portion of pavement...……….Just thoughts.....God bless....Dennis