• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The motorcycle community....

How is it even possible to do that ? when politics do directly effect the internal combustion vehicles that we all embrace? Can we not have an honest / thorough discussion on a topic just because it hints of a taboo component ?

This is ridiculous , politics are the only thing that effects each & every one of us, each & every day....and yet we must tip-toe around it ? Be afraid of the mere mention ?

If a person cannot take the mention of anything in a thread ? Then they should remove themselves from that thread...as opposed to telling others what they are permitted to say.

I know we ride & covet motorcycles from the land of the Nazi's.....does that mean that the admin's / some of the admin's must act like them ?

I left here for a while...due to , in large part this kind of crap. Fifty bucks p/yr to read a discussion group where I'm told what I can say...yeah I know ... don't let the door hit me ...... etc,etc. Well, I just might once again . I don't think I was alone the first time, I may not be alone this time either.

How many exits can one group take, and still exist?
Right on, Ron. Politics is too important to ignore.

Again, {I} strongly disagree. If {you} cannot deal with any subject in an emotionally controlled , civil , respectful, manner? Then you should restrain from participating in such a discussion ? But why not allow those of us who can, participate in such a discussion? :banghead

All the time {we} are involved in these discussions ... you will surely be welcomed in any of the oil/tire/battery threads you choose. :dance

My friend, I can take just about anything.

However, the fact of the matter here is (and you should read my post in the poll thread about the previous two exercises) there are a lot of people who can't and the whole thing just winds up harshing the buzz. :jose

Bejeepus...I get on here to read about motorcycle stuff. Politics is EVERYWHERE (work, TV, family reunions with their Archie vs. Meathead uncles, etc.). I don't ride to think about who said what stupid sh#& today. So, you guys in the "politics is part of life deal with it camp" are just going to make it part of every damned discussion on this board. I can see it now:

"I would like to use Brand A oil but that company buys it from <insert middle eastern supplier here> and I refuse to buy oil from a company that does business with <X> because they support <Y>..." - followed by 500 comments unrelated to the actual topic.

"EZCAN? They're from South Africa and I won't support a company that supports Apartheid!" - I know, that's the past but people can be ignorant and I'm just making a point, roll with it. - followed by 500 comments unrelated to the actual topic.

"I hate GS310s because their engines are made in India and I hate curry!" - followed by 500 comments unrelated to the actual topic.

THAT'S THE DAMNED PROBLEM!!! Allow politics/religion/etc. and EVERY discussion will devolve into partisan bickering. Please, give it a break already...

Last edited:
Right on, Ron. Politics is too important to ignore.

Yes. WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE. So go vote. I don't want to read about it here. This site is about motorcycles and I don't give a rats behind about what someone else's opinion is about those kind of hot-button topics.

THAT'S THE DAMNED PROBLEM!!! Allow politics/religion/etc. and EVERY discussion will devolve into partisan arguing. Please, give it a break already...

Bologna. You can retain the strict ban of politics/religion/etc on all forums except the one entitled, Motorcycles and Politics/Policy. It's ludicrous to ad hoc ban all references to politics in the entire website just because the primary purpose here is about BMW/motorcycling, that's a given. There is no reason you can't have one forum topic be dedicated to Motorcycling and Politics. I'll bet it would be well used.

Bologna. You can retain the strict ban of politics/religion/etc on all forums except the one entitled, Motorcycles and Politics/Policy. It's ludicrous to ad hoc ban all references to politics in the entire website just because the primary purpose here is about BMW/motorcycling, that's a given. There is no reason you can't have one forum topic be dedicated to Motorcycling and Politics. I'll bet it would be well used.

I meant allowing political discussions in general. If there's a forum for it, have at it. I am opposed to permitting the discussion of, or perhaps I should say "the introduction of," politics/region/etc. as a devolution of a thread that started about some "normal" topic. I would have no trouble at all avoiding such a forum as if it is the source of Ebola.

As someone said earlier motorcycles have internal combustion engines and a discussion on how they currently fit into society and what roll they will play in the future is a political discussion like it or not. I have made my living in the motorcycle industry for 32 years and it is going down the drain, not because of politics, but because of changes in society. To understand these changes and work to make motorcycles relevant in the future we MUST have this discussion.

I am an AMA member and a member of the Motorcycle Industry Council. Both of those organizations have become so mired in political correctness and making sure they don't hurt anyone's feelings that they have a very difficult time being effective.

I have been a member of the MOA off and on since 1992. I have to tell you as far as motorcycle people go BMW riders have the thinnest skin there is.

Society is made of good people and bad people. No matter who you are or what you do you are going to encounter them. Do you really want the MOA spending their time making this forum a safe place for you? So you don't get your feelings hurt, by words and opposing opinions?

If you intentionally annoy people just to prove your existence, perhaps you need to reassess who has a problem.

So, I’m really good with stating my annoyance at the obnoxious people that insist on generating excessive noise. If that doesn’t make me a good comrade, l’m happy not joining the “Bikers Republic”

Who are you addressing here?

If it is [me] you targeted the wrong one, as i did not take this thread in this direction. I just responded in kind to the turn.

I just started a topic about the seeming change / demise of motorcycling in general. It was others that added / noted the political component .

If you are annoyed ? I suggest it may be of your own doing, as again there is no need to read past the first hint [of] annoyance.

Lots of folks used to be interested in building their own electronics from kits too - those days are long gone. Anyone remember Heathkit? Life magazine?

I do! Ah, brings back memories.... My father had a huge collection of old 1940-50s Popular Science and Popular Mechanics magazines stored in a closest. I spent countless hours going through them, dreaming of making my own scuba set up from a surplus compressor, or marveling at how you could turn a fuel tank from a B-17 into a sports car. I just got rid of those magazines, and I hated to do it. An era gone by.

Not that this relates to the topic at hand.

As someone said earlier motorcycles have internal combustion engines and a discussion on how they currently fit into society and what roll they will play in the future is a political discussion like it or not. I have made my living in the motorcycle industry for 32 years and it is going down the drain, not because of politics, but because of changes in society. To understand these changes and work to make motorcycles relevant in the future we MUST have this discussion.

I am an AMA member and a member of the Motorcycle Industry Council. Both of those organizations have become so mired in political correctness and making sure they don't hurt anyone's feelings that they have a very difficult time being effective.

I have been a member of the MOA off and on since 1992. I have to tell you as far as motorcycle people go BMW riders have the thinnest skin there is.

Society is made of good people and bad people. No matter who you are or what you do you are going to encounter them. Do you really want the MOA spending their time making this forum a safe place for you? So you don't get your feelings hurt, by words and opposing opinions?

Well said ! And I agree ...... I won't start the [my dog's bigger than your dog banter] :) But , while I have not been [inside] ? the motorcycle industry as you have. I have been around a long time & have seen the same changes. And have become disgusted by them.

Who are you addressing here?

If it is [me] you targeted the wrong one, as i did not take this thread in this direction. I just responded in kind to the turn.

I just started a topic about the seeming change / demise of motorcycling in general. It was others that added / noted the political component .

If you are annoyed ? I suggest it may be of your own doing, as again there is no need to read past the first hint [of] annoyance.

My post was directed at Visian and his suggestion to put aside comments about "middle-aged pirates....." to protect the "community". If accepting boorish behavior (i.e., excessive exhaust noise and long herds of bikers demanding to ride as a continuous group) is the only way to preserve the motorcycle market, I say it should die.

Being a good neighbor is my first priority. I ride my motorcycle within those bounds.

My post was directed at Visian and his suggestion to put aside comments about "middle-aged pirates....." to protect the "community". If accepting boorish behavior (i.e., excessive exhaust noise and long herds of bikers demanding to ride as a continuous group) is the only way to preserve the motorcycle market, I say it should die.

Being a good neighbor is my first priority. I ride my motorcycle within those bounds.

OK, my bad.

Motorcycles are popular in my neighborhood. SW Suburbs Chicago, single family homes. Two BMW (LT and GT), 4 HDs, 1 Honda scooter in one block. They are out and about most days. Probably more owners, if I search them out. Mix of workers and retirees.

We watch out for pot holes and center road gaps as much as distracted car drivers. I55 needs evasive maneuvering skills and a lot of concentration to stay upright. Sport bike riders usually using full helmets and protection clothing. The HDs usually without helmets. Motorcycles are not a rare sight in Illinois. Alive and well here.

Motorcycles are not a rare sight in Illinois. Alive and well here.

We live right next to the highway leading to Big Bend National Park, 25 miles away. Except when it is too hot there is no shortage of motorcycles touring the area.

I went on a 160-mile ride on suburban and country roads in eastern Ohio this morning and saw no fewer than two dozen other motorcycles. Granted, this is a splendid Saturday weather-wise. Normally on my 50-mile commute to work (from Akron to a western suburb of Cleveland) I see a half dozen or so other motorcycles when the weather is dry. (One day I even saw a guy on an R1150RT nearly identical to mine; not sure why that surprised me, but it did.) I'm usually the only one on the road when rain is in the forecast or in the air.

There's a tavern up the road from me that's a Harley hangout. Most evenings I see 4 or 5 bikes parked in the lot. Tuesday is bike night, and then the parking lot is filled, probably two to three dozen bikes most of the time.

So it seems the majority of motorcycling around here happens on weekends and to bars.

3% of the population ride motorcycles. 5% of the population think they have seen a UFO. You don't realize how many white Camrys there are on the road until you buy one.

You, as a motorcyclist, anecdotally judging the size or health of the US motorcycle market is a little suspect.

It the (motorcycle market) is falling apart.

Just look at the National, AARP should have had a booth there.

Back