Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The motorcycle community....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The motorcycle community....

I it just me?....or does it seem to be 'shrinking'?....I'm sure it's aging, but.

I follow here & some other M/C forums and it just appears that participation has really slowed. And locally, about all I see on the road is H/D. Granted they have always been most numerous , but now....almost exclusive.

Two H/D dealers...and AFAIK only one "multi-brand" dealer in the whole region?. About 50 miles to the next one. Used to be some choices, which are just gone. No BMW dealer in several years now.

Ooops I forgot one...A Guzzi dealer whose franchise is fairly new..... used to be used bikes only.
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I it just me?....or does it seem to be 'shrinking'?....I'm sure it's aging, but.

I follow here & some other M/C forums and it just appears that participation has really slowed. And locally, about all I see on the road is H/D. Granted they have always been most numerous , but now....almost exclusive.

Two H/D dealers...and AFAIK only one "multi-brand" dealer in the whole region?. About 50 miles to the next one. Used to be some choices, which are just gone. No BMW dealer in several years now.

Ooops I forgot one...A Guzzi dealer whose franchise is fairly new..... used to be used bikes only.
    yes young people are not buying motorcycles or even cars like they used to. The educated ones want to live in urban areas where the jobs and action are. I read a recent article detailing how many teenagers could care less about driving and obtaining a license, social media allows them to communicate on line w/their friends.

College loan debt is revoking many of their options - including motorcycles, cars, and housing.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

2007 Harley sold roughly 350,000 motorcycles, lately they are lucky to sell 200,000 motorcycles a year. Do the math!

Some lines, BMW for example keeps creeping up, but when they sell 15,000 motorcycles in the USA, it is a drop in the bucket compared to Honda or HD, both are having slumping sales.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Itís sad the direction this is going. Iím sure the members here all share a love of biking, for sport, recreation, travel, what have you. I feel for the younger people who may have an interest but will be faced with diminishing resources as dealerships may close, manufacturers may go out of business, and information sources dry up because of flagging demand. I fear it may be an irreversible trend as younger people find new avenues for their interests.
    Hopefully, the strategy that some manufacturers are taking with producing new smaller, less expensive bikes that will make taking up the sport less intimidating will bring more people to this world we like so much.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by speck.wisc View Post
    Itís sad the direction this is going. Iím sure the members here all share a love of biking, for sport, recreation, travel, what have you. I feel for the younger people who may have an interest but will be faced with diminishing resources as dealerships may close, manufacturers may go out of business, and information sources dry up because of flagging demand. I fear it may be an irreversible trend as younger people find new avenues for their interests.
    Hopefully, the strategy that some manufacturers are taking with producing new smaller, less expensive bikes that will make taking up the sport less intimidating will bring more people to this world we like so much.
    also the Greenies have demonized the internal combustion engine as the root of all environmental problems, which is BS. They are brainwashed in college by the Pruis driving academic elites. Remember the world will end in 12 yrs according to Bernie and AOC unless we stop using fossil fuels and many of the youts believe this hysterical nonsense. It's not COOL to be into cars and motorcycles anymore.

Geez guys, is it possible to have any thread lately that some folks seem the need to throw the political monkey wrench in?

As mentioned in a few threads that I am catching up on since getting back from a no news three week rally and beyond trip, leave the politics out of this please. Warnings seem to be pretty much ignored and it's getting old.

On the thread topic, I see the same numbers of folks riding, from the cruiser crowd to the sport bikes and the group we seem to fall in. The young folks who are interested in riding will figure it out just like I and others did when we were the young ones. Bikes have peaked and valleyed for years, just another dip in my view.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

How is it even possible to do that ? when politics do directly effect the internal combustion vehicles that we all embrace? Can we not have an honest / thorough discussion on a topic just because it hints of a taboo component ?

This is ridiculous , politics are the only thing that effects each & every one of us, each & every day....and yet we must tip-toe around it ? Be afraid of the mere mention ?

If a person cannot take the mention of anything in a thread ? Then they should remove themselves from that thread...as opposed to telling others what they are permitted to say.

I know we ride & covet motorcycles from the land of the Nazi's.....does that mean that the admin's / some of the admin's must act like them ?

I left here for a while...due to , in large part this kind of crap. Fifty bucks p/yr to read a discussion group where I'm told what I can say...yeah I know ... don't let the door hit me ...... etc,etc. Well, I just might once again . I don't think I was alone the first time, I may not be alone this time either.

How many exits can one group take, and still exist?
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

When a new, or slightly used BMW, costs as much as a new car...what do you expect?
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Guns, Politics, Religion. Banned. If this is not OK with any poster, good bye. We don't need the pollution here. "Wing nuts" or "Libtards". I am a licensed handgun owner. Able to carry concealed in 37 or more states. Voter. Registered with a party. Vote every chance I get. Even serve as an Election Judge. Have religious views. But not here. This is not the place. And besides. Rules are rules. If you can't follow rules, bye bye is what I say. And if you can't follow the rules or go bye bye on your own then it is the Moderators job to enforce the rules. And they generally do an excellent job despite member's ability to try their patience. Go mods!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Kudos to the Moderators

I must say in defense of the BMWMOA forum, the moderators do an exceptional job.

Unlike other forums I will not mention here, I have not been insulted or abused.

I am like Paul here, He could have written my script. So I am not a whiny cry baby. St.

Personally, I think lack of money is the biggest problem.
    We who are of the baby boomer generation grew up in a time of plentiful, good paying jobs.
    We had the money to spend on toys back when we were young and we had the ability to increase wealth as we got older.
    We started out with cheap toys when we were young and could afford bigger better toys as we got older.

I look at my nieces and nephews lives now and I don't see this happening. NOT because they are lazy or ill prepared, but because there are fewer and fewer GOOD jobs available.
    We baby boomers grew up in an almost golden era. We reaped the rewards. St.
    Last edited by STEVENRANKIN; 07-11-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Guns, Politics, Religion. Banned. If this is not OK with any poster, good bye. We don't need the pollution here. "Wing nuts" or "Libtards". I am a licensed handgun owner. Able to carry concealed in 37 or more states. Voter. Registered with a party. Vote every chance I get. Even serve as an Election Judge. Have religious views. But not here. This is not the place. And besides. Rules are rules. If you can't follow rules, bye bye is what I say. And if you can't follow the rules or go bye bye on your own then it is the Moderators job to enforce the rules. And they generally do an excellent job despite member's ability to try their patience. Go mods!
    Post #6 mentioned that the Greenies are attacking the internal combustion engine. And that was deemed to be politics. Why? webBikeWorld sent out one of their news articles on the same subject and how in 10 years, countries like China and India are banning internal combustion engines. And Europe is following along, but with no date set. That's not politics. It's fact.

We had five posts after #6 where no one jumped on that comment as "politics", just treated it as another statement. Then at post #12, this has become a thread about politics. Do all of you on your political stumps even remember what the original subject was about?
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    How is it even possible to do that ? when politics do directly effect the internal combustion vehicles that we all embrace? Can we not have an honest / thorough discussion on a topic just because it hints of a taboo component ?

This is ridiculous , politics are the only thing that effects each & every one of us, each & every day....and yet we must tip-toe around it ? Be afraid of the mere mention ?

If a person cannot take the mention of anything in a thread ? Then they should remove themselves from that thread...as opposed to telling others what they are permitted to say.

I know we ride & covet motorcycles from the land of the Nazi's.....does that mean that the admin's / some of the admin's must act like them ?

I left here for a while...due to , in large part this kind of crap. Fifty bucks p/yr to read a discussion group where I'm told what I can say...yeah I know ... don't let the door hit me ...... etc,etc. Well, I just might once again . I don't think I was alone the first time, I may not be alone this time either.

How many exits can one group take, and still exist?
    Right on, Ron. Politics is too important to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by lupinblue View Post
    Right on, Ron. Politics is too important to ignore.
    Yes. WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE. So go vote. I don't want to read about it here. This site is about motorcycles and I don't give a rats behind about what someone else's opinion is about those kind of hot-button topics.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Chicken Little

"The sky is falling."

There is an unhealthy preoccupation with more is better; growth means health, lack of growth indicates failure. HD is definitely on the skids these days, why should I care? BMW seems to be holding up well, good for them. Regardless of how either company performs, there will be motorcycles to admire, purchase and ride. Asian marquees continue to sell vastly more small bikes, well, due to Asian demographics.

I'm not particularly concerned with what "youth do". Each generation that ages looks back at the youths and shake their collective heads.

Fuel it or Charge it and just ride for the pure joy of riding. Horses have seen a significant drop in sales but there are still plenty of horses to ride. Worry about the important stuff like did you remember to zip your fly before you went into the grocery store.