• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What Was The Problem With The Leaking K1300GT At The Rally?

lee

Debbie's Servant
At the Econo Lodge in Lebanon there was a K1300GT with a fuel and coolant leak.
Figured the fuel was the quick disconnect but thought it strange that a coolant leak would start at the same time.
The owner decided to have the bike towed to the Nashville shop.
When I talked to the two couples the next day they had not heard back from the shop.
I think they were from Kentucky.
Here's a picture of the two wife's that terham took.
The one on the right is the wife of the guy with the GT.
Anyone know them or know what was wrong with the bike?

borrowed from terham.jpg

Hi Lee,

I was the guy who was working on the bike, trying to diagnose the problem. Turns out that the fuel pump was leaking. Bloodworth got the bike repaired on Saturday afternoon and we were good to head home Sunday. Not much we could have done to it in the Econolodge parking lot, even if we were able to find the leak.

Thanks for your help on the bike. According to Walt, the bike's owner, Bloodworth had a few KGTs with leaking fuel issues.

Take care,
Daryl Casey (hubby of the blonde in the photo!)

Hi Daryl
Good to hear the shop was able to get the bike back on the road.
Maybe the coolant we saw was only a little that burped out of the tank caused by the kinked overflow tube you found??
Good to meet all of you.

FYI, in 2013, our Transport Canada issued a recall for several BMW bikes, including the K1300GT. I would imagine the US equivalent agency would have done same.

The recall stated:

"On certain motorcycles, cracks could develop in the fuel pump and/or auxiliary fuel pump flange (if equipped). This would result in fuel leaking when the engine is turned on and the fuel system is pressurized. Leaking fuel, in the presence of an ignition source, could lead to a fire causing injury and/or damage to property. Correction: Dealers will inspect the fuel pump flange(s) and install a reinforcing ring or replace the fuel pump(s), as necessary."

I'd suggest bike owners stay on top of these recalls. Dealers should be well aware too.

FYI, in 2013, our Transport Canada issued a recall for several BMW bikes, including the K1300GT. I would imagine the US equivalent agency would have done same.

The recall stated:

"On certain motorcycles, cracks could develop in the fuel pump and/or auxiliary fuel pump flange (if equipped). This would result in fuel leaking when the engine is turned on and the fuel system is pressurized. Leaking fuel, in the presence of an ignition source, could lead to a fire causing injury and/or damage to property. Correction: Dealers will inspect the fuel pump flange(s) and install a reinforcing ring or replace the fuel pump(s), as necessary."

I'd suggest bike owners stay on top of these recalls. Dealers should be well aware too.

We also have the recall here in the US. We talked about the recall and seems the owner was not sure if his bike had the recall done.
I've seen one post where a member had the recall done and the fuel pump flange still cracked.

Leaking K1200GT

My 2008 K1200GT also developed a fuel leak on Sunday morning in Lebanon. Had it towed to Bloodworth (Thank you MOA Roadside Assistance).
The fuel pump flange reinforcement ring had been installed as part of the recall in 2015 (minor cracks were noted in the recall service paper work). However this was apparently not a sufficient fix since now fuel was spraying out from the flange covering my left boot and the left side of the bike. Bloodworth installed a new fuel pump, but I had to pay full cost.
Has anyone else had a fuel pump flange failure after having the recall work done?

My 2008 K1200GT also developed a fuel leak on Sunday morning in Lebanon. Had it towed to Bloodworth (Thank you MOA Roadside Assistance).
The fuel pump flange reinforcement ring had been installed as part of the recall in 2015 (minor cracks were noted in the recall service paper work). However this was apparently not a sufficient fix since now fuel was spraying out from the flange covering my left boot and the left side of the bike. Bloodworth installed a new fuel pump, but I had to pay full cost.
Has anyone else had a fuel pump flange failure after having the recall work done?

I've seen another post on this forum where the recall had been done and recently it started to leak.
I had taken for granted BMW would have had to honor the recall again if the first repair did not work.

I had two very small cracks in my flange (but no leak) and installed the BeemerBoneyard reinforcing ring a few months before BMW announced the recall. Since there was no hurry, I waited almost a year before taking the bike to the local dealer for the recall. The service manager said that simply adding the BMW reinforcing ring had led to several bikes being returned a second time. Their policy was to install complete pumps on the first visit, regardless of the severity of the cracks.

:wave

Over here.

I had my 2013 K1300GT flange bust on me in 2018. BMW wouldn't warranty it, the *******s. My local dealer felt bad about it & sold me the replacement at cost & shaved off some labor. Damn good people at Pandora's European Motorsports in Chattanooga, TN.

But the recall work wasn't done before it busted though.

Back