• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

750 top speed?

seezur

I'm really having a blast with my new 750; honestly, it's reinvigorated my joy for riding that sort of got lost when I got into sportbikes.

That being said, now that I've broken the bike in and I'm at around 1,000 miles, I've been opening it up more here and there. The one thing I've noticed is that it's pretty damn slow once it hits 90. I've made peace with this, and knew going in that this wouldn't be a sportbike, or even a fast bike, but I find the suggested top speed of 118 a little hard to believe.

So far, bike unloaded and me at 178 lbs, it takes an uncomfortable amount of time to hit 100, and 105 is where I got to before I ran out of road on a couple long straights. This is obviously with aggressive upshifting.

Just seems bizarre to me, as my old Honda CBR500R with a 471cc engine and 48ish HP, at about 450 lbs, wasn't much slower than the F750GS. It's really my only grip other than nonadjustable front suspension; I really wish they kept the F850GS tune in the 750.

I guess there's no chance of a flash coming out down the road? Any other options to get a little more oomph out of the top end?

Things are generally kinda “busy” at those speeds. I’m curious where you are that you can “Do The Ton”?
Around here you would make the news pretty quickly.
OM

Things are generally kinda “busy” at those speeds. I’m curious where you are that you can “Do The Ton”?
Around here you would make the news pretty quickly.
OM

There are plenty of long country roads around here. I mean the bike might keep climbing, but I'm not comfortable pushing it for that long. I was just hoping it'd hit 100-105 kinda quick and then taper off for last 18-13 mph, but it loses steam quicker than that it seems.

Very easy to do it where I live and I can do it without anyone seeing me.

My brother was pulled over last night in his van because the police thought it was “late” for someone to be out. :banghead
OM

Omega, you need to get west of the Mississippi, or at least close to it and you can run 100 and only worry about the deer taking you out!

We ran 85-90 on the interstate for about 100 miles yesterday. Met a couple HP, passed one sitting on the shoulder, I don't think they even blinked.

Omega, you need to get west of the Mississippi, or at least close to it and you can run 100 and only worry about the deer taking you out!

We ran 85-90 on the interstate for about 100 miles yesterday. Met a couple HP, passed one sitting on the shoulder, I don't think they even blinked.

That’s why I said around here :). Where fun goes to die.
OM

Ha! My ‘82 R65 LS might have been rated for 50hp once but I seriously doubt it now. It ran fine at 75 for most of the 5000 km’s it took to get to the rally but there were plenty of times I had to do a little planning to make passes as it certainly lacks any real oomph at speed. I was surprised and pleased I hit 162 on my GPS not far from Lebanon on a bit of a downgrade for a true ton. I’m sure your 750 has plenty of get up and go in comparison.:)

We have been touring for the past two summers on G310GSs. With camping gear. One up on two bikes. Last year Texas to Washington to New Mexico to Des Moines to New Mexico to Duluth to Texas.

This year Texas to Kansas to Tennessee to Virginia and back to Des Moines so far. I think an R65 or /5 will suffice for one up touring if a person so desires. I can recall folks going all around North America and beyond on Honda 305s.

My f700gs could easily get to 100 by the time you got to the end of the on-ramp.

That's kind of more what I would expect. Are they ever accidentally limited or does BMW limit before first service?

Mine was one of the journalist demo bikes that got ridden in Colorado but maybe when they cleaned/set it up it somehow got limited? Honestly, it feels exactly like a 50 hp bike.

I have it in for service right now at a mechanic who is not a BMW certified whatever, but has the tools and works on a lot of them. Maybe he'll find something out.

That's kind of more what I would expect. Are they ever accidentally limited or does BMW limit before first service?

Mine was one of the journalist demo bikes that got ridden in Colorado but maybe when they cleaned/set it up it somehow got limited? Honestly, it feels exactly like a 50 hp bike.

I have it in for service right now at a mechanic who is not a BMW certified whatever, but has the tools and works on a lot of them. Maybe he'll find something out.

Don't expect it to run like it should until it has 5 or 6 K on it. Others may disagree but that has been my experience with the 13 or so BMWs I've had. I have an F700GS with 4k on it and it gets a little quicker each time I ride it. It shares time with an F650GS single, and R100/7 and my work bike, an R1200RTP, so I can feel the difference.

Last edited:
750 top speed

Hi,

Just started looking at these forums and this one caught my eye. I took a trip to Florida's Pan handle a few weeks ago and got the 750 up to 120 mph and recorded it on the Connect app. I weigh 150 and had my SHAD side cases on with them full of gear. I have been over 110 mph several times and the bike does it very easy. I think this bike is one of the best all around bikes out there. The bike handles well, is fast enough, comfortable, has all the electronics, and looks good.

Back