Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Special tools needed for valve adjustment

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    West Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    6

    Special tools needed for valve adjustment

    I cannot find the TDC tool or the cam chain tool in order to adjust the valves on my RT. Are the tools really necessary? Any others necessary if so?

  2. #2
    Registered User cap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    113

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Knobby10 View Post
    I cannot find the TDC tool or the cam chain tool in order to adjust the valves on my RT. Are the tools really necessary? Any others necessary if so?
    I got the complete set from Bike Bandit ... for example, https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...27790/b3196338

    There are 4 tools in the complete set: the alignment pin, the alignment gauge, the cam chain tensioner, and the tensioner sleeve.

  3. #3
    Registered User kunkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    10
    Anyone know the BMW OEM part numbers for all four (4) tools?

  4. #4
    Registered User LFarling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    397
    You need none of those tools for a valve check and adjustment.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wills Point, TX
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by Knobby10 View Post
    I cannot find the TDC tool or the cam chain tool in order to adjust the valves on my RT. Are the tools really necessary? Any others necessary if so?
    You don't need special tools to check and adjust the valves, just a straight edge. Get JVB Produciton DVD http://jvbproductions.com/

    Jay

  6. #6
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    14,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Knobby10 View Post
    I cannot find the TDC tool or the cam chain tool in order to adjust the valves on my RT. Are the tools really necessary? Any others necessary if so?
    Have a peek here- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?93365-TDC-tool

    And don’t forget to check the Wethead index “sticky” in this forum area.

    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  7. #7
    Registered User cap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by kunkies View Post
    Anyone know the BMW OEM part numbers for all four (4) tools?
    Part # 83 30 2 327 796 Cam alignment tool
    Part # 83 30 2 327 790 TDC tool
    Part # 83 30 0 444 292 Cam chain tensioner
    Part # 83 30 2 339 885 Spacer ring for tensioner

  8. #8
    Registered User cap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    You need none of those tools for a valve check and adjustment.
    Yes, and you DO need the tools to check cam timing.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    Yes, and you DO need the tools to check cam timing.
    In 59 years of driving cars and 950,000 miles riding motorcycles (mostly BMWs) I have never had a need to check valve timing or camshaft position. If this is the new normal for BMW engineers they need to go back to school.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  10. #10
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    6,271
    There is no call for cam chain adjustment check in any service information from BMW.

    http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/im...%20Service.pdf
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  11. #11
    Registered User LFarling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    In 59 years of driving cars and 950,000 miles riding motorcycles (mostly BMWs) I have never had a need to check valve timing or camshaft position. If this is the new normal for BMW engineers they need to go back to school.
    I have checked over 30 cams.

    From 3000 miles to 81,000 miles, GS/GSA/RT.

    At least 15 of those were out!

    And more had the cam postilion sensor off which exhibits as a hard start or even a need for a second push of the start button.

    I did 4 at JVB Productions Yearly Tech meeting and 3 were out!

    Since I have not even tried to put some kind of degree wheel on the cams to try and figure out how many degrees they are out I have no clue how far or if they are retarded or advanced.

    And to be fair the jig is a tight fit it either goes on or not. Some have been slight but others been way off.

    I do not think BMW has quality control any longer. Soft cams, bad rear master cylinders, limp mode coming from no where with no warning reason.
    Last edited by LFarling; 06-24-2019 at 12:17 AM.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    I got the complete set from Bike Bandit ... for example, https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...27790/b3196338

    There are 4 tools in the complete set: the alignment pin, the alignment gauge, the cam chain tensioner, and the tensioner sleeve.
    Do they sell as a set? Link gives only one Item, do I locate each item myself to make the set or do they sell an actual set, sorry long night working trying to be lazy,

    Edit, OK before I get crucified, like I said been a long work night, I think I figured it out. Once I allowed my mind to eliminate the spaces in the numbers I can see what's going on. Sorry.
    Last edited by usablue; 10-08-2019 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Dumbassitis

  13. #13
    John. jstrube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atwater, CA
    Posts
    1,108
    Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    I have checked over 30 cams.

    From 3000 miles to 81,000 miles, GS/GSA/RT.

    At least 15 of those were out!

    And more had the cam postilion sensor off which exhibits as a hard start or even a need for a second push of the start button.

    I did 4 at JVB Productions Yearly Tech meeting and 3 were out!

    Since I have not even tried to put some kind of degree wheel on the cams to try and figure out how many degrees they are out I have no clue how far or if they are retarded or advanced.

    And to be fair the jig is a tight fit it either goes on or not. Some have been slight but others been way off.

    I do not think BMW has quality control any longer. Soft cams, bad rear master cylinders, limp mode coming from no where with no warning reason.
    Does BMW ever fix an older bike with a problem? I have a 2015, 60k miles... Yeah, it hard starts sometimes... Or, is this an adjustment thing?
    John.
    Atwater, CA
    2015 R1200RT

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-25-2018, 02:11 AM
  2. Rebuilding a clutch without special tools.
    By Roguetek in forum Airheads
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-09-2013, 06:29 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 06:32 PM
  4. Special tools
    By robertklee in forum Gear
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 12:49 PM
  5. Airhead special tools
    By robertklee in forum Airheads
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2009, 01:02 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •