• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Special tools needed for valve adjustment

Knobby10

I cannot find the TDC tool or the cam chain tool in order to adjust the valves on my RT. Are the tools really necessary? Any others necessary if so?

Anyone know the BMW OEM part numbers for all four (4) tools?

Part # 83 30 2 327 796 Cam alignment tool
Part # 83 30 2 327 790 TDC tool
Part # 83 30 0 444 292 Cam chain tensioner
Part # 83 30 2 339 885 Spacer ring for tensioner

Yes, and you DO need the tools to check cam timing.

In 59 years of driving cars and 950,000 miles riding motorcycles (mostly BMWs) I have never had a need to check valve timing or camshaft position. If this is the new normal for BMW engineers they need to go back to school.

I got the complete set from Bike Bandit ... for example, https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/bmw/83302327790/b3196338

There are 4 tools in the complete set: the alignment pin, the alignment gauge, the cam chain tensioner, and the tensioner sleeve.

Do they sell as a set? Link gives only one Item, do I locate each item myself to make the set or do they sell an actual set, sorry long night working trying to be lazy,

Edit, OK before I get crucified, like I said been a long work night, I think I figured it out. Once I allowed my mind to eliminate the spaces in the numbers I can see what's going on. Sorry.

Last edited:
I have checked over 30 cams.

From 3000 miles to 81,000 miles, GS/GSA/RT.

At least 15 of those were out!

And more had the cam postilion sensor off which exhibits as a hard start or even a need for a second push of the start button.

I did 4 at JVB Productions Yearly Tech meeting and 3 were out!

Since I have not even tried to put some kind of degree wheel on the cams to try and figure out how many degrees they are out I have no clue how far or if they are retarded or advanced.

And to be fair the jig is a tight fit it either goes on or not. Some have been slight but others been way off.

I do not think BMW has quality control any longer. Soft cams, bad rear master cylinders, limp mode coming from no where with no warning reason.

Does BMW ever fix an older bike with a problem? I have a 2015, 60k miles... Yeah, it hard starts sometimes... Or, is this an adjustment thing?

Back