• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Atlantic-Pacific-Atlantic

lupinblue

I’m back home in PEI 22 days after leaving. The R1200RS performed just about perfectly, except that the windshield is as noisy as ever, and I found the quick shifter to get increasingly balky towards the end ( perhaps due to my sore feet!). Average gas consumption 4.8 l/00km.
I had the tires replaced in Calgary and an oil change and filter: Anderwerks was the only shop I could find to do it, and they did a good job on time. BUT they charged $1027 Canadian for a pair of PR5s, oil and filter and labour.
Things that worked: Aerostich triple-digit gloves: the first time my hands have stayed dry in a real downpour, and easy to use
Bags Connection City tank bag- except it was hard to keep the rain cover snugged down.
Cortech tail bag
Speed Demon amber conspicuity lights
BMW crashbars when the bike blew over first night out
BMW cases, which stayed bone dry inside through the wettest day I’ve ever ridden
Tourmaster Synergy electric jacket: a life saver
Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket which just started to leak on the arms after 500 km of downpour
What didn’t work:
The waterproof liner in my Rev’It Sand pants. It’s the second liner, the first failed too. I was wet from my waist down.
TCX SP Master waterproof boots: they aren’t
Nelso-Rigg half cover, which caused the bike to blow over in a storm
HJC RPHA11Pro helmet: noisy and prone to fogging, even with the Pinlock-type insert. But it’s light and well-ventilated if a bit cold.
Me: at 73 I should know better anyway, but I was in fairly constant pain from my right shoulder in particular. It didn’t stop me putting in 650+ km days, the longest at 795. An evening hit of high-CBD cannabis definitely helped to relax the muscles without getting stoned.
Conclusions: travelling on your own is expensive unless you camp, and camping takes too much time.
I would have seen more if I’d taken longer, but it was always about the ride
I rode slower than I thought I would, particularly after i got a ticket (in Ontario,of course). Generally just 10-15 km over the limit. After a while you realize that every time you overtake it just means you’ll catch up the next vehicle sooner.
It was great to have a day’s R and r with friends halfway: made all the difference.
I rode across the Prairies on the Red Coat Trail: the biggest surprise of the trip, as I’d never expected the Prairies to be so beautiful. Coming back I came all the way on the Trans-Canada, and it was mostly pretty dull except around Superior- which is spectacular in parts but mostly a long way from the lake, and more of a sweeping road than an exciting one. Good for Harleys.
Was it worth it?
Yes, of course!

You gotta love a BMW rider...

Your story is a collection of neat stuff that doesn't seem to go together:

1. A R1200RS on a round-trip coast to coast jaunt.

2. 21 out of 22 days pounding miles!

3. Daily dosage of high CBD cannabis.

4. Doing this in early/mid June across Canada.

5. And achieving all this just before age 74 instead of the more customary age of 24.

Sure wish I could have tagged along!

"travel'n" John

Your story is a collection of neat stuff that doesn't seem to go together:

1. A R1200RS on a round-trip coast to coast jaunt.

2. 21 out of 22 days pounding miles!

3. Daily dosage of high CBD cannabis.

4. Doing this in early/mid June across Canada.

5. And achieving all this just before age 74 instead of the more customary age of 24.

Sure wish I could have tagged along!

"travel'n" John
Sorry you weren’t there, John - sounds like we might have got along!

Back