Thread: What Was The Problem With The Leaking K1300GT At The Rally?

What Was The Problem With The Leaking K1300GT At The Rally?

At the Econo Lodge in Lebanon there was a K1300GT with a fuel and coolant leak.
    Figured the fuel was the quick disconnect but thought it strange that a coolant leak would start at the same time.
    The owner decided to have the bike towed to the Nashville shop.
    When I talked to the two couples the next day they had not heard back from the shop.
    I think they were from Kentucky.
    Here's a picture of the two wife's that terham took.
    The one on the right is the wife of the guy with the GT.
    Anyone know them or know what was wrong with the bike?

borrowed from terham.jpg
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Hi Lee,

I was the guy who was working on the bike, trying to diagnose the problem. Turns out that the fuel pump was leaking. Bloodworth got the bike repaired on Saturday afternoon and we were good to head home Sunday. Not much we could have done to it in the Econolodge parking lot, even if we were able to find the leak.

Thanks for your help on the bike. According to Walt, the bike's owner, Bloodworth had a few KGTs with leaking fuel issues.

Take care,
    Daryl Casey (hubby of the blonde in the photo!)
    Daryl Casey
    Frankfort, KY
    Thank a teacher if you can read this, thank a veteran that it's in English.

Hi Daryl
    Good to hear the shop was able to get the bike back on the road.
    Maybe the coolant we saw was only a little that burped out of the tank caused by the kinked overflow tube you found??
    Good to meet all of you.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

FYI, in 2013, our Transport Canada issued a recall for several BMW bikes, including the K1300GT. I would imagine the US equivalent agency would have done same.

The recall stated:

"On certain motorcycles, cracks could develop in the fuel pump and/or auxiliary fuel pump flange (if equipped). This would result in fuel leaking when the engine is turned on and the fuel system is pressurized. Leaking fuel, in the presence of an ignition source, could lead to a fire causing injury and/or damage to property. Correction: Dealers will inspect the fuel pump flange(s) and install a reinforcing ring or replace the fuel pump(s), as necessary."

I'd suggest bike owners stay on top of these recalls. Dealers should be well aware too.
    Chris - '09 K1300GT
    Royal Blue Metallic

Here's the link. Hopefully it works for you.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/...rchResult&pg=0
    Chris - '09 K1300GT
    Royal Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by clafkas View Post
    FYI, in 2013, our Transport Canada issued a recall for several BMW bikes, including the K1300GT. I would imagine the US equivalent agency would have done same.

The recall stated:

"On certain motorcycles, cracks could develop in the fuel pump and/or auxiliary fuel pump flange (if equipped). This would result in fuel leaking when the engine is turned on and the fuel system is pressurized. Leaking fuel, in the presence of an ignition source, could lead to a fire causing injury and/or damage to property. Correction: Dealers will inspect the fuel pump flange(s) and install a reinforcing ring or replace the fuel pump(s), as necessary."

I'd suggest bike owners stay on top of these recalls. Dealers should be well aware too.
    We also have the recall here in the US. We talked about the recall and seems the owner was not sure if his bike had the recall done.
    I've seen one post where a member had the recall done and the fuel pump flange still cracked.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

People can say what they want, but that photo is definitive proof BMW riders aren't fussy about the company they keep
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Leaking K1200GT

My 2008 K1200GT also developed a fuel leak on Sunday morning in Lebanon. Had it towed to Bloodworth (Thank you MOA Roadside Assistance).
    The fuel pump flange reinforcement ring had been installed as part of the recall in 2015 (minor cracks were noted in the recall service paper work). However this was apparently not a sufficient fix since now fuel was spraying out from the flange covering my left boot and the left side of the bike. Bloodworth installed a new fuel pump, but I had to pay full cost.
    Has anyone else had a fuel pump flange failure after having the recall work done?

Quote Originally Posted by petemiko View Post
    My 2008 K1200GT also developed a fuel leak on Sunday morning in Lebanon. Had it towed to Bloodworth (Thank you MOA Roadside Assistance).
    The fuel pump flange reinforcement ring had been installed as part of the recall in 2015 (minor cracks were noted in the recall service paper work). However this was apparently not a sufficient fix since now fuel was spraying out from the flange covering my left boot and the left side of the bike. Bloodworth installed a new fuel pump, but I had to pay full cost.
    Has anyone else had a fuel pump flange failure after having the recall work done?
    I've seen another post on this forum where the recall had been done and recently it started to leak.
    I had taken for granted BMW would have had to honor the recall again if the first repair did not work.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Here's one thread. https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...n-2011-R1200RT

Post #2 mentions another thread.

In the one thread BMW covered the cost when the flange failed after the recall was done.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

I had two very small cracks in my flange (but no leak) and installed the BeemerBoneyard reinforcing ring a few months before BMW announced the recall. Since there was no hurry, I waited almost a year before taking the bike to the local dealer for the recall. The service manager said that simply adding the BMW reinforcing ring had led to several bikes being returned a second time. Their policy was to install complete pumps on the first visit, regardless of the severity of the cracks.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT