• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A grim day in NH

Apparently the Mass DMV makes a habit of not processing notices like the one issued by Connecticut:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...e-traffic-notifications-untouched/1626906001/
DMV has been a joke for years, they used to have their own Police Force but they finally were disbanded because of corruption. In the 70's I rode on a series of learners permits which were only good for 6 months I think. finally scheduled an appt to get my license with a co-worker. Registry Cop comes out for road test and starts talking to my co-worker and he mentions he needs new windows in his house and my co-worker tells him he can hook him up. Cop looks at me and tells me to ride to the end of parking lot, do a figure eight and come back. I take off, he's still talking to my co-worker and not even looking at me. I ride around the parking lot for 5 minutes and ride back and stop next to him. He says good to go, signs my paperwork and my co-workers. They exchange phone numbers and we were good to go.
Jeff Kuhner, an AM radio host on WRKO is organizing a protest Saturday at the State House which will do nothing. If the accident happened in Ma. he probably would get minimal time but NH is different. The Leftists in the Peoples Republic are more interested in giving licenses to illegals and stopping ICE from deporting them than cleaning up the Registry. It's all Politics, nepotism and the good old boy network.

They(Dem Pols) hate O'Connell because she tried to investigate the selling of licenses to illegals thru the DMV.
"Gov. Charlie Baker is acknowledging a “complete failure” at the Registry of Motor Vehicles, adding the investigation will now include a look into Massachusetts’ notifications to other states about violations here — while watchdogs say audits could reveal deeper failures.

“That’s part of the review and I’m uncomfortable speaking to it beyond that at this point,” Baker said of what other states may or may not have been told.

“I view what happened at the RMV as a complete failure,” Baker said Tuesday.

State Rep. Shaunna O’Connell said she was rebuffed by the Registry of Motor Vehicles in her recent attempts to have a full audit that would look into illegal immigrants using fraudulent identities after a series of arrests of drug dealers and other criminals.

The Taunton Republican said she plans to call for a further hearing to haul the RMV brass in front of the oversight committee on the issue, and she wants to push further for her bill that would order a full audit.

“A full audit of the RMV database will uncover other problems people aren’t aware of,” O’Connell said Tuesday. “Once you scratch the surface, who knows what will blow up?”

O’Connell added, “It’s scary to think what other problems could be happening. People aren’t doing their jobs, and it starts with leadership.”

Her criticism comes a day after Baker and Transportation Secretary Stephanie Pollack outlined the series of problems uncovered in the aftermath of the RMV’s failure to suspend the license of trucker Volodymyr Zhukovskyy following an out-of-state drunken-driving arrest that happened a month before he was criminally charged with killing seven bikers in New Hampshire in a car crash June 21.

Following RMV chief Erin Deveney’s resignation last week after the fatal crash, Baker and Pollack have pointed to two different areas in which the RMV dropped the ball on notifications about out-of-state violations — which both contributed to allowing the 23-year-old West Springfield man to remain on the road. No RMV employees were doing the manual checks needed on commercial driver’s license violations from out of state, and the tens of thousands of notices for infractions on regular Massachusetts licenses from other states had also ended up unchecked, stashed away in 53 bins of paper."
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/07/02/rmv-probe-turns-to-violations-the-state-was-obliged-to-send/

Many years ago I went to RMV for license renewal and when I was walking out noticed the clerk failed to place the M for motorcycle on the license. Went back in and pointed out the mistake and she got upset and told me I didn't have a MC license. After 10 minutes of arguing her supervisor came out, dug my old license out of the trash and told her to redo it. Our public servants at their best.

Many years ago I went to RMV for license renewal and when I was walking out noticed the clerk failed to place the M for motorcycle on the license. Went back in and pointed out the mistake and she got upset and told me I didn't have a MC license. After 10 minutes of arguing her supervisor came out, dug my old license out of the trash and told her to redo it. Our public servants at their best.

I do not think this is exclusively a RMV problem. The same happened to me in TX once. Be glad you caught it I have heard of others that had to take the test over completely because the clerk failed to check that motorcycle endorsement box. I assume it lives in their computer system someplace when renewing, but in my case it was changing an IL drivers license for a TX license.

Well, this thread devolved pretty fast
Devolved? How so? We're placing blame were it needs to be placed, on the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles who failed to suspend the suspects license.
"A survivors of the fatal motorcycle crash in New Hampshire has filed a lawsuit against the driver accused of causing the incident and the company who employed him.

Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, 23, and Westfield Transport Inc. are the named defendants in the suit filed in Hampden Superior Court this week on behalf of Joshua Morin and his wife, Joyann.

Zhukovskyy is accused of crossing the yellow line and colliding with a group of motorcyclists while traveling on Route 2 in Randolph, New Hampshire on June 21.
Joshua Morin, a registered nurse from the Berkshires, was among the injured. Following the crash he was airlifted to Maine Medical Center in Portland where he has remained for more than a week after the crash.

He suffered multiple bone fractures among other injuries. “He’s undergone a number of surgeries and will have more,” said John Haymond, an attorney representing Morin and his wife.

Facing a months long recovery and mounting medical bills - which his attorney estimates will be above $500,000 - a lawsuit was filed on behalf of Morin and his wife, Joyann, this week in Hampden Superior Court in Springfield.
https://www.haymondlaw.com/practice...rpwQy_MokuMAp0W5alv5Gybfc4BByu7YaArJhEALw_wcB

We're placing blame were it needs to be placed, on the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles who failed to suspend the suspects license.

The blame lies with the driver of the truck.

The responsibility to get him off the road or out of the country rests in multiple places.

I do not think this is exclusively a RMV problem. The same happened to me in TX once. Be glad you caught it I have heard of others that had to take the test over completely because the clerk failed to check that motorcycle endorsement box. I assume it lives in their computer system someplace when renewing, but in my case it was changing an IL drivers license for a TX license.

There are always 1 or 2 students in my classes that failed to mention an endorsement when they moved here or got a renewal. They had to go through the whole process over again of class/testing.

The state of WA does not require motorcycle specific insurance. We have been blessed? with low insurance premiums for years. That will all change July 28th, which will then require all 2 and 3 wheel vehicles to carry a minimum of Liability Insurance. There go my premiums!!!

Facing a months long recovery and mounting medical bills - which his attorney estimates will be above $500,000 - a lawsuit was filed on behalf of Morin and his wife, Joyann, this week in Hampden Superior Court in Springfield.
https://www.haymondlaw.com/practice...rpwQy_MokuMAp0W5alv5Gybfc4BByu7YaArJhEALw_wcB

The company ( and their owners ) will just claim Bankruptcy and nothing will happen. That is why I had to increase my own Uninsured/Under-insured policy to $100k - $300k. It only cost me $8 more!! I got hit by a hit n' run driver 3 years ago and almost lost my life. At the time I only had $25k - $50k coverage.... my first 3 days in the hospital were $28k... I've had 5 surgeries since and through arbitration with my personal medical coverage, still had to pay $96k out of pocket!!!! :mad

The state of WA does not require motorcycle specific insurance. We have been blessed? with low insurance premiums for years. That will all change July 28th, which will then require all 2 and 3 wheel vehicles to carry a minimum of Liability Insurance. There go my premiums!!!

I don't know what you pay for motorcycle insurance in WA now, but in MA we've always had mandatory liability. FWIW, I pay Progressive about $300/year, which includes a liability limit way above the minimum. I think the extra only brings it up about $17.

In 2014 Connecticut implemented a program comprised of public service announcements re tailgating backed up by an aggressive campaign of citing offenders. I think the program only lasted for a few months and I haven't yet learned what impact it had. But to me this is a no-brainer. There are over 5,000,000 MV collisions annually and over 30,000 MV fatalities in the US, zillions of $$ of medical costs associated, and yet we don't seem to be taking advantage of the idea of targeting aggressive driving, tailgating, etc actively. We have lots of aggressive, unsafe driving here in the Denver CO area and I see so little enforcement. Yet the cost of public service messaging backed up by enforcement compared to all the costs involved in dealing w/ those 5,000,000+ collisions just seems unfortunate and stupid.

As autonomous vehicles slowly begin populating the roadways the end point of this will be much better spacing of vehicles, less vehicles on the road, and lower collision rates will most assuredly result as the process continues to unfold and improve, and it will. Here's a fascinating prophecy of where transportation is headed ultimately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0

In 2014 Connecticut implemented a program comprised of public service announcements re tailgating backed up by an aggressive campaign of citing offenders. I think the program only lasted for a few months and I haven't yet learned what impact it had. But to me this is a no-brainer. There are over 5,000,000 MV collisions annually and over 30,000 MV fatalities in the US, zillions of $$ of medical costs associated, and yet we don't seem to be taking advantage of the idea of targeting aggressive driving, tailgating, etc actively. We have lots of aggressive, unsafe driving here in the Denver CO area and I see so little enforcement. Yet the cost of public service messaging backed up by enforcement compared to all the costs involved in dealing w/ those 5,000,000+ collisions just seems unfortunate and stupid.

As autonomous vehicles slowly begin populating the roadways the end point of this will be much better spacing of vehicles, less vehicles on the road, and lower collision rates will most assuredly result as the process continues to unfold and improve, and it will. Here's a fascinating prophecy of where transportation is headed ultimately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0

I see lots of comments condemning public services and the lack of policing. It’s an inevitable result of downsizing government, the wonder solution to everything that’s been peddled by the right wing for decades. Take a look at what it’s done to Britain, a country that led the world in both the public service and policing.
Taxes buy civilization: the opposite also applies.

The NTSB investigates any accident it deems indicates a threat to public safety might exist. They investigate highway, rail, aircraft, and possible marine accidents though I'm not so sure about that last one. Most people only hear about airplane investigations due to the resulting news coverage so they think that's all the NTSB does. The fact that they are in on this would indicate to me there's more than just individual negligence involved in this accident.

I believe that this is being followed up due to great public interest in this tragedy. I doubt that any unique causes are anticipated in this situation.

I don't know what you pay for motorcycle insurance in WA now, but in MA we've always had mandatory liability. FWIW, I pay Progressive about $300/year, which includes a liability limit way above the minimum. I think the extra only brings it up about $17.

Here's the thing. WA does not require liability insurance. In Canada, Public Liability and Public Damage or "basic" insurance has been mandatory since I began driving 50 years ago. When my insurance agent advised me to buy Uninsured Motorist Protection insurance if I rode or drove in the USA a few years ago, I was pretty shocked to hear that WA had no insurance requirements.

So if someone in WA causes you or your vehicle harm or damage and they are at fault but have no insurance you have to sue. And usually there are no assets or they are advised to just declare bankruptcy so there is no compensation for the damage or injury. Apparently they are not the only state with no requirements. This may be changing now and I think it is something that should be mandatory. If you own a car it should at least be insured for potential damage and harm to others. If you don't want to cover your beater for it's own damages, that is up to the owner. It's also extra here in BC but this may vary province to province and state to state.

Kinda scary!:dunno

So if someone in WA causes you or your vehicle harm or damage and they are at fault but have no insurance you have to sue. And usually there are no assets or they are advised to just declare bankruptcy so there is no compensation for the damage or injury. Apparently they are not the only state with no requirements. This may be changing now and I think it is something that should be mandatory. If you own a car it should at least be insured for potential damage and harm to others. If you don't want to cover your beater for it's own damages, that is up to the owner. It's also extra here in BC but this may vary province to province and state to state.

Kinda scary!:dunno

Believe me, WA State does require insurance on cars/trucks and we do pay a premium!

I insure 4 motorcycles at a cost of only $604/yr.... that's with full coverage with increased coverage limits. After July 28, I'm sure that will double!

Back