• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A grim day in NH

Wow. This kind of stuff only happens in the "Peoples Republic of Ma"? I had no idea. Good to know I live in the super safe state of Ohio. That's a load off.

Since I don't live in Ohio I can't comment on the situation there. I stopped riding my RT to work last summer because of idiots behind the wheel. I rode in twice this week becauase the traffic is lighter when kids are out of school.

"The head of the motorcycle club that lost seven members when a driver plowed into a group of riders in New Hampshire last week has called the Massachusetts RMV director’s resignation following the crash “ridiculous.”

Manny Ribeiro, president of Jarheads MC, told The Boston Globe that he believes it’s ridiculous that RMV Director Erin Deveney was allowed to resign and “run away from the problem” after the crash, which was allegedly caused by a West Springfield man who kept his commercial driver’s license after being arrested on a driving under the influence charge in Connecticut last month."
"Deveney, who was hired as acting registrar in March 2015 and made the permanent chief nine months later, resigned on Tuesday, the same day as the driver, 23-year-old Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, pleaded not guilty to seven charges of negligent homicide in New Hampshire.

“That’s how nothing gets solved,” Ribeiro told The Globe. “That’s how I feel.”
https://www.masslive.com/news/2019/...ass-rmv-directors-resignation-ridiculous.html

"The head of the motorcycle club that lost seven members when a driver plowed into a group of riders in New Hampshire last week has called the Massachusetts RMV director’s resignation following the crash “ridiculous.”

Manny Ribeiro, president of Jarheads MC, told The Boston Globe that he believes it’s ridiculous that RMV Director Erin Deveney was allowed to resign and “run away from the problem” after the crash, which was allegedly caused by a West Springfield man who kept his commercial driver’s license after being arrested on a driving under the influence charge in Connecticut last month."
"Deveney, who was hired as acting registrar in March 2015 and made the permanent chief nine months later, resigned on Tuesday, the same day as the driver, 23-year-old Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, pleaded not guilty to seven charges of negligent homicide in New Hampshire.

“That’s how nothing gets solved,” Ribeiro told The Globe. “That’s how I feel.”
https://www.masslive.com/news/2019/...ass-rmv-directors-resignation-ridiculous.html

In addition, ICE had some responsibility- his accumulation of serious offences was sufficient grounds for revocation of his Green Card and deportation...they dropped the ball as well.

In the Peoples Republic of Ma. they give out drivers licenses to anyone who can see and walk and talk. The roads are full of texting, tailgating, speeding morons and the cops don't care. Riding to work this morning on RT.2 in the left lane,(2 lane divided highway) all of a sudden right lane is slowing down and cars are trying to move into the left lane causing slowdown and tailgating. Finally get up to a red Prius in the right lane doing about 50 MPH and this ahole is texting on his phone. I lay on my horn and point at him and he goes right back to texting.

and how, exactly, is this different than any other state in the US? drivers licensing (cars and bikes) is a joke in this country. it is not a Mass problem.

and how, exactly, is this different than any other state in the US? drivers licensing (cars and bikes) is a joke in this country. it is not a Mass problem.

I'm beating a dead horse here, but will agree it's a nationwide problem. However, I can't blame the licensing process. The vast majority of Americans are now completely addicted to their phones. No different than heroin. They've got to be texting all the time, talking all the time, sitting in parking lots with engines idling while playing with their phones, etc. Those little screens are their life now.
Add to that the "me first" of a whole lot of our fellow citizens who love to speed, drink and drive, take drugs, and the country has really shot itself in the head. The solution? There isn't one. Well, maybe sell our bikes and do like everyone else: buy a double cab 4 x 4 3/4 ton truck to go get a gallon of milk with.

I'm beating a dead horse here, but will agree it's a nationwide problem. However, I can't blame the licensing process. The vast majority of Americans are now completely addicted to their phones. No different than heroin. They've got to be texting all the time, talking all the time, sitting in parking lots with engines idling while playing with their phones, etc. Those little screens are their life now.

The Netflix series Black Mirror (especially Season 5, Ep. 2) highlights this about technology today.

Never said it was, I can't comment on other States because I don't live and drive there. This is the main reason I am contemplating selling my RT, might be time for my Vette.

and the hits keep on coming. Thank God big brother is there to protect us, NOT!
"More details have surfaced about alleged drug abuse and additional driving violations by Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, the 23-year-old charged with killing seven motorcyclists in a New Hampshire crash last week, according to a new report.

The newly unearthed records bring the total number of states in which Zhukovskyy has been charged with impairment or traffic violations to six.

The Boston Globe reports that records from Ohio show Zhukovskyy pleaded guilty in 2014 to driving with a suspended license, speeding, providing false information and possessing drug paraphernalia."
At the time, his license was reportedly suspended in Massachusetts due to a drunk driving charge.

The Globe reported that records in the Ohio case show that Zhukovskyy was pulled over while driving a 2007 Chevrolet Impala with Ohio plates after a police officer observed the vehicle make an unusual lane change.

The officer wrote in a police report that the car slowed down and sped up several times as he followed it, going over 75 miles per hour in a 60 zone. When he tried to stop the vehicle, the officer wrote that Zhukovskyy almost swerved off the shoulder and into the grass before overcorrecting and nearly driving back into the right lane of traffic.

When Zhukovskyy handed the officer a Massachusetts license, it had someone else’s name on it, according to The Globe."
https://www.masslive.com/news/2019/...-had-violations-in-ohio-and-iowa-as-well.html

"For over a year, out-of-state violations against Massachusetts drivers were not registered into the Registry of Motor Vehicles computer system. Instead they were sorted into mail bins that sat in a records room in Quincy. Fifty three bins containing tens of thousands of notices were found during a review of the process, following a deadly crash in New Hampshire last month.

The backlog included information transmitted from Connecticut transportation officials that would have terminated Volodymyr Zhukovskyy’s commercial driver’s license. Zhukovskyy, of West Springfield, has been charged in the horrific New Hampshire crash that left seven motorcyclists dead on June 21."
https://www.masslive.com/boston/201...problems-discovered-at-massachusetts-rmv.html

The lawyers are going to have a field day with this one. This terrible loss of life could have been avoided had there been some modicum of effective information sharing. I sure hope he serves a hell of lot more than 7 years. On second thought, deport him with no possibility he returns to the US and inform his native country how much of a slimeball he is. Maybe he can serve his time there!

The lawyers are going to have a field day with this one. This terrible loss of life could have been avoided had there been some modicum of effective information sharing.
It sounded to me that the information was shared........its just that nobody did anything with it. :hungover
OM

Civil Rights 42 USC Section 1983 Application?

Considering the alleged inactions by MA Registry of Motor Vehicles officials, I wonder if some of the litigation attorneys who are BMW MOA members/forum readers might see what are called "1983 Actions" aka "Deprivation of Civil Rights" as a possible avenue for the families and survivors of this crash to sue MA for damages?

Here's the background: "The Civil Rights Act of 1871 is a federal statute, numbered 42 U.S.C. § 1983, that allows people to sue the government for civil rights violations. It applies when someone acting “under color of” state-level or local law has deprived a person of rights created by the U.S. Constitution or federal statutes."

3% of the population ride motorcycles.

Almost 100% have horrific stories about crashes and losses of life. Even you, on this forum love to share them and have the attitude they get what they deserve when it comes to those not riding ATGATT.

Do you think the general public sees the difference between ATGATT or not? Or do you think they simply see another "biker" hellbent on a death wish?

It is very common for courts/juries to offer smaller settlements to those killed or injured while riding a motorcycle, because of the prevailing idea that the person riding the motorcycle was NOT being safe as possible because they chose a form of transportation that was known to be less safe than an automobile. Even when the other road user is completely at fault the general public often feels the motorcyclists is at least partially culpable for their choice of vehicle.

I would be willing to bet that young Zhukovskyy will be out of prison and back in society before his 30th birthday, no matter the circumstances regarding his intent or level of impairment. He might lose his "license" for good, but obviously he does not care about driving legally and will suffer the consequences as they arise. Anyone doubt he will continue to drive if out of jail? Do you think not having a license will stop him?

I am speculating less than 1 year in prison (actual served) per life.

Us 3% better learn to stick together, no matter the type of riding, the badge on the tank, or the protective gear we wear.

Almost 100% have horrific stories about crashes and losses of life. Even you, on this forum love to share them and have the attitude they get what they deserve when it comes to those not riding ATGATT.

Do you think the general public sees the difference between ATGATT or not? Or do you think they simply see another "biker" hellbent on a death wish?

It is very common for courts/juries to offer smaller settlements to those killed or injured while riding a motorcycle, because of the prevailing idea that the person riding the motorcycle was NOT being safe as possible because they chose a form of transportation that was known to be less safe than an automobile. Even when the other road user is completely at fault the general public often feels the motorcyclists is at least partially culpable for their choice of vehicle.

I would be willing to bet that young Zhukovskyy will be out of prison and back in society before his 30th birthday, no matter the circumstances regarding his intent or level of impairment. He might lose his "license" for good, but obviously he does not care about driving legally and will suffer the consequences as they arise. Anyone doubt he will continue to drive if out of jail? Do you think not having a license will stop him?

Us 3% better learn to stick together, no matter the type of riding, the badge on the tank, or the protective gear we wear.

If he was here on a green card (as is being reported on several outlets) - after the seven years in prison he can go kill people in the Ukraine- unless some bikers/marines who "stuck together" meet him between the prison exit and the airport! (And assuming ICE isn't abolished)

This is a particularly disturbing post.... because it is accurate.

With any luck, young Zhukovsky will resume his driving career in the Ukraine. After an inappropriate delay, ICE has started action against Zhukovsky.

It is very common for courts/juries to offer smaller settlements to those killed or injured while riding a motorcycle, because of the prevailing idea that the person riding the motorcycle was NOT being safe as possible because they chose a form of transportation that was known to be less safe than an automobile.

This is where personal injury lawyers come in. Many of them specialize in getting the most for motorcyclists injured by other motorists' carelessness.

This is where personal injury lawyers come in. Many of them specialize in getting the most for motorcyclists injured by other motorists' carelessness.

I would guess that the US is similar to Canada...........The Plaintiff gets a big award and those paying insurance see a 1-2% increase in premiums to come up with the big payout.

I can guess the increase in my insurance premiums based on the number of bikes at salvage auction.

My experience going south of the border is it's easy to skip weigh scales, compliance officers are scarce and carrier fitness is a myth.

If Zhukovskyy is a major contributor to this accident, data will show that his actions are not the only factor. In fact, the data that almost every state releases shows almost 40% of all riders in that particular state aren't licensed to ride. I know, that where I live, you can walk in and buy a 1700CC behemoth and get it licensed and insured without having a valid permit to ride such a monster.

Hence, when I hear about another single vehicle accident and two fatalities, I budget for next year.

It ain't just Zhukovskyy and it ain't innocent bikers. Tragedies like this will keep on coming, one at a time maybe, but the math will be the same.

Back