Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: A grim day in NH

Common Carriers

Articles said driver working for a transportation company in Massachusetts, common carrier will have DOT number and regulations so crash will be investigated by NTSB.
    Crash bad because pickup was pulling a long gooseneck trailer if it had jackknifed and was in their lane the bikes had a longe distance to swerve to miss truck and trailer, also trailer most likely low enough that the old lay her down and slide under also would not work.
    Lots of assumptions and wag as I wasn’t on the scene and not a lot of info has been released yet, I can see how deadly this accident could have been no mater what formation the riders were in or how skilled of a rider they were or how maneuverable the bike was.
    Final thoughts horrible tragedy but it could have been much worse think of the large groups of riders we have seen two abreast separated by a bike length or so.

Thanks David. I did find some information on the company (Westfield Transport). The report seems to have lots of information, but does not mean much to me. Perhaps you can interpret. See: https://www.quicktransportsolutions....ot-2896429.php

Great to see you in Lebanon, BTW!
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key”

Quote Originally Posted by 146023 View Post
    You have to wonder why the NTSB is investigating a traffic accident, not involving a commercial passenger vehicle, in New Hampshire? The New Hampshire State Police can and is capable of conducting this investigation with the necessary expertise and equipment. Makes one wonder what we are not being told so far.
    The pickup truck towing a trailer was stated to be a "commercial" hauler. Thus the NTSB is interested. They will likely defer to the State Police, but may take action against the commercial trucking company if they find that to be proper.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by sailorlite View Post
    We've all seen m/c clubs riding in some kind of close formation, and I've even seen groups of motor LEOs riding that way too. I suppose this looks cool but it serves no practical purpose - and might invite the kind of disaster being discussed here. Do we know whether "close formation" riding was involved? And do I understand correctly that they were not wearing helmets!!??
    May they rest in peace.
    A group of bikes with two to three second spacing in a nice staggered formation could still easily be wiped out by a pickup truck and gooseneck trailer going 60 mph at the initial impact. Yes maybe they were in too tight a formation, and maybe they didn't have on helmets but somehow given all the unknowns I refuse to throw stones. They are dead! Criticism will do little to sooth the survivors.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Thanks David. I did find some information on the company (Westfield Transport). The report seems to have lots of information, but does not mean much to me. Perhaps you can interpret. See: https://www.quicktransportsolutions....ot-2896429.php

Great to see you in Lebanon, BTW!
    Not having experience in trucking but on the dot inspections 30 over 2 years over 20% of the time they found something this may not be unusual they may inspect until they find something, they did have 2 drug or alcohol violations and a few driver hour violations both bad, usually if stuff bad they don’t get insurance or insurance they can afford which helps keep bad drivers off the road.
    However you can never underestimate stupid drivers, once I passed a driver hauling propane driving to fast and erratic when I get beside him I notice he is watching something on a tablet resting on the steering wheel while driving.
    John also good to see you hope to see you again possibly at the RA rally in Virginia I might get wife to go it’s reasonably close to her brothers place in Rockville, Md.

That Dodge may have been a commercial vehicle with a car-hauler trailer. Just a guess at this point, though. NTSB will be most interested in the safety rating of that business (along with all of the evidence to document at the scene,) if that is the case.

EDIT: just read similar idea in thread above;
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    A group of bikes with two to three second spacing in a nice staggered formation could still easily be wiped out by a pickup truck and gooseneck trailer going 60 mph at the initial impact. Yes maybe they were in too tight a formation, and maybe they didn't have on helmets but somehow given all the unknowns I refuse to throw stones. They are dead! Criticism will do little to sooth the survivors.
    I concur. Easy to second guess what happened and what they should/shouldn't have done. But with the little information availble to us, we (as laypersons) can't accurately form an opinion of what happened. Bottom line is the riders may have done nothing wrong, been in compliance with every NH traffic law and this tragedy still happened. The truck driver could have been DUI, on the phone, fallen asleep or suffering from a medical emergency.

Bottom line it's was tragic loss of life, that most likely could have been prevented. But regardless of the cause, they can't be brought back and we need to be respectful to the fallen and the survivors.
    No Matter Where I went, There I was...

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    As an aside,
    There has been a recent enforcement/expansion of requiring DOT Numbers/Registration.
    Having been "involved" in governmental safety/OSHA training classes, most instructors have pointed out that many agency involvement comes from news stories.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Crash bad because pickup was pulling a long gooseneck trailer if it had jackknifed and was in their lane the bikes had a longe distance to swerve to miss truck and trailer,.
    Yep it was a long gooseneck flatbed.

randolph3.jpg
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

The important thing is to take away lessons learned so future behavior can be modified to prevent a recurrence of this accident. Analyzing the accident needs to be done without emotion or personal bias, and not on a forum by people who have no access to the facts. Unfortunately, the factors that led to this accident have likely been analyzed many times and the lessons learned have not been applied. Bottom line is people are dead and families are devastated.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    The important thing is to take away lessons learned so future behavior can be modified to prevent a recurrence of this accident. Analyzing the accident needs to be done without emotion or personal bias, and not on a forum by people who have no access to the facts. Unfortunately, the factors that led to this accident have likely been analyzed many times and the lessons learned have not been applied. Bottom line is people are dead and families are devastated.
    Agree 100% with all of these points. Nothing bothers me so much as conjecture by internet spectators on what caused an accident or what the rider(s) should have done to avoid an accident. Happens in my neck of the woods all the time and it DOES NOT HELP.
    Last edited by BC1100S; 06-24-2019 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Agree 100% with all of these points. Nothing bothers me so much as conjecture by internet spectators on what caused an accident or what the rider(s) should have done to avoid an accident. Happens in my neck of the woods all the time and it DOES NOT HELP.
    Happens all the time across our country and the single most common cause is speed of the commercial vehicle.

When I drive a combination vehicle, the posted limit is what I do because if I don't, I have a trailer swing that can be fatal to oncoming. The difference of just 10 KPH can mean the difference of the trailer staying behind you or swing out.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Angry

Been following this since Friday night, can't figure out why the pickup caught fire. Latest report seems to indicate 23 yr old driver drifted across lane and then over corrected causing trailer to jack knife swinging across the lane. GF lives in Westfield where the trucking company is located. I rode to work today for the first time this year, traffic is brutal.

Truck Driver Arrested 6/24 - Boston Globe Story

The truck driver has been arrested and charged. See: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...Rw7JZJKgi6DhKA
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key”

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    The truck driver has been arrested and charged. See: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...Rw7JZJKgi6DhKA
    Yup, you just beat me to it ExGMAN, mine's from The Boston Herald. Doesn't say why they charged him with being a fugitive. The owner of the Trucking Company was quoted over the weekend saying he had tried contacting his employee many times and he didn't answer his cell phone..

"New Hampshire officials this morning charged the driver of a truck involved in a fatal crash that killed seven motorcyclists with seven counts of negligent homicide.

Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, 23, was arrested at his home in West Springfield by Massachusetts State Police at about 8 a.m. this morning on a fugitive from justice charge, according to a release from the New Hampshire attorney general’s office.

A warrant was issued for Zhukovskyy’s arrest out of New Hampshire on seven charges of negligent homicide in connection with the collision Friday, according the release.

The crash in Randolph, N.H., Friday afternoon killed seven bikers from a Massachusetts veterans group. Killed in the crash were Jo-Ann and Edward Corr, both 58, of Lakeville, Michael Ferazzi, 62, of Contoocook, N.H., Albert Mazza, 59, of Lee, N.H., Desma Oakes, 42, of Concord, N.H., Aaron Perry, 45, of Farmington, N.H., and Daniel Pereira, 58, of Riverside, R.I.

Several other riders were injured in the devastating wreck.

All of them died as a result of blunt trauma, according to Deputy Attorney General Jane E. Young.

Zhukovskyy was driving a 2016 Dodge 2500 pickup towing a car-hauling trailer on Route 2 west about 6:30 p.m. Friday, authorities said, when it struck the group of motorcyclists heading east, authorities said.

The announcement of today’s arrest was made by Young, along with Coos County Attorney John McCormick and N.H. State Police Col. Christopher J. Wagner."

— Developing