Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: A grim day in NH

A grim day in NH

Woke up this morning to news that seven motorcyclists were killed in an accident on Friday night in Canterbury NH. Not much information has been released but it was described as a head-on collision between the bikes and a pickup truck. Photos show at least six wrecked bikes with the identifiable machines being HD touring bikes. There were also at least two injured who survived. The riders were described as a group from the Boston area.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    Woke up this morning to news that seven motorcyclists were killed in an accident on Friday night in Canterbury NH. Not much information has been released but it was described as a head-on collision between the bikes and a pickup truck. Photos show at least six wrecked bikes with the identifiable machines being HD touring bikes. There were also at least two injured who survived. The riders were described as a group from the Boston area.
    very sad. just read a few reports on that. no word on why it happened. even looked like a fairly straight section of rt 2. apparently the riders were part of a US Marines riding club.
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 96 K1100RS (caretaker), 09 K1300s

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I saw the news this morning.

From a NH station-
    https://www.wmur.com/article/serious...dolph/28143655

From CNN-

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/22/us/ne...uck/index.html

Pictures and video are hard to watch. A massive accident for sure. While I really like NH, I do feel uneasy riding the NH roads in/during tourist season.

RIP Riders.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I saw this earlier on another forum......

Condolences! And may they rest in peace.
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

More Information from NPR

I've been following this some. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is going to investigate also. Here's the 230PM report from NPR: https://www.npr.org/2019/06/22/73502...p-leaving-7-de
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key”

From the NYTimes:
    The motorcyclists were riding east on Route 2 in Randolph, N.H., about 100 miles northeast of Concord, when the pickup truck, a 2016 Dodge 2500, swerved over the yellow line and “jackknifed” into the motorcyclists’ lane around 6:30 p.m., said Jerry Hamanne, the owner of the Inn at Bowman Bed and Breakfast.
    Maybe the pickup truck driver fell asleep.

Edit: I listened to the press conference. Really tragic. I feel for the families of the victims.
    Last edited by BlueWaterCooled; 06-22-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

6/22/2019 @ 635PM - Boston Globe Update

Here's a comprehensive article on the Boston Globe website: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...5PJ/story.html

I've ridden that road probably half a dozen times in my travels.

Waiting for an explanation of how that disaster happened...
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

New Hampshire does not require a helmet unless you are under 18
    Bruce A. Brown #212072
    MSF 2-wheel Instructor
    H-D Riding Academy Instructor
    S/TEP 3-wheel Instructor

Jarheads MC "Go Fund Me" Campaign

The Jarheads MC has started a "Go Fund Me" Campaign to help those most affected by the tragic loss of their members and families last night in New Hampshire. Here is the link to the campaign:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/jarheads-...D8ZKz4VJSxEMCY

Like to stay pretty spread out when riding in a group.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

OTE=ExGMan;1170598]I've been following this some. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is going to investigate also. Here's the 230PM report from NPR: https://www.npr.org/2019/06/22/73502...p-leaving-7-de[/QUOTE]
    You have to wonder why the NTSB is investigating a traffic accident, not involving a commercial passenger vehicle, in New Hampshire? The New Hampshire State Police can and is capable of conducting this investigation with the necessary expertise and equipment. Makes one wonder what we are not being told so far.

The NTSB investigates any accident it deems indicates a threat to public safety might exist. They investigate highway, rail, aircraft, and possible marine accidents though I'm not so sure about that last one. Most people only hear about airplane investigations due to the resulting news coverage so they think that's all the NTSB does. The fact that they are in on this would indicate to me there's more than just individual negligence involved in this accident.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

NTSB’s Legal Authority

I seem to recall that the NTSB can do this if/whenever it choose to do so. Here is the reference to their authority to do so, and the breadth of the investigations: § 831.30 Authority of NTSB in highway investigations.
    (a)Scope. The NTSB is responsible for the investigation of selected highway accidents (e.g., collisions, crashes and explosions), including at railroad grade-crossing accidents. Such investigations will be conducted in cooperation with the designated authorities of the state or local jurisdiction in which the accident occurred.
    (b)Authority to examine or test. Pursuant to § 831.9 of this part, a credentialed employee of the NTSB is authorized to examine or test any item, including any vehicle, part of a vehicle, equipment, or contents of any vehicle or equipment involved in an accident subject to the NTSB's authority. Examination or testing will be conducted -
    (1) To the extent practicable, so as to not interfere with or obstruct the transportation services provided by the owner or operator of a vehicle or equipment; and
    (2) In a manner that preserves evidence relating to the transportation accident, in cooperation with the owner or operator of the vehicle or equipment, and consistent with the needs of the investigation.
    (c) Any Federal, state, or local agency that conducts an investigation of the same highway accident the NTSB is investigating shall provide the results of its investigation to the NTSB. This last paragraph (c) is the important one.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Like to stay pretty spread out when riding in a group.
    We've all seen m/c clubs riding in some kind of close formation, and I've even seen groups of motor LEOs riding that way too. I suppose this looks cool but it serves no practical purpose - and might invite the kind of disaster being discussed here. Do we know whether "close formation" riding was involved? And do I understand correctly that they were not wearing helmets!!??
    May they rest in peace.
    '17.5 R1200GS
    Priors: '16 R1200R, '14 R1200GS, '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5 (LWB).