• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A grim day in NH

Anyname

Woke up this morning to news that seven motorcyclists were killed in an accident on Friday night in Canterbury NH. Not much information has been released but it was described as a head-on collision between the bikes and a pickup truck. Photos show at least six wrecked bikes with the identifiable machines being HD touring bikes. There were also at least two injured who survived. The riders were described as a group from the Boston area.

Woke up this morning to news that seven motorcyclists were killed in an accident on Friday night in Canterbury NH. Not much information has been released but it was described as a head-on collision between the bikes and a pickup truck. Photos show at least six wrecked bikes with the identifiable machines being HD touring bikes. There were also at least two injured who survived. The riders were described as a group from the Boston area.

very sad. just read a few reports on that. no word on why it happened. even looked like a fairly straight section of rt 2. apparently the riders were part of a US Marines riding club.

I saw the news this morning.

From a NH station-
https://www.wmur.com/article/seriou...ickup-shuts-down-route-2-in-randolph/28143655

From CNN-

190622075621-01-nh-motorcycle-crash-0621-exlarge-169.jpg

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/22/us/new-hampshire-accident-motorcyclists-pickup-truck/index.html

Pictures and video are hard to watch. A massive accident for sure. While I really like NH, I do feel uneasy riding the NH roads in/during tourist season.

RIP Riders.

OM

From the NYTimes:
The motorcyclists were riding east on Route 2 in Randolph, N.H., about 100 miles northeast of Concord, when the pickup truck, a 2016 Dodge 2500, swerved over the yellow line and “jackknifed” into the motorcyclists’ lane around 6:30 p.m., said Jerry Hamanne, the owner of the Inn at Bowman Bed and Breakfast.
Maybe the pickup truck driver fell asleep.

Edit: I listened to the press conference. Really tragic. I feel for the families of the victims.

Last edited:
I've ridden that road probably half a dozen times in my travels.

Waiting for an explanation of how that disaster happened...

OTE=ExGMan;1170598]I've been following this some. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is going to investigate also. Here's the 230PM report from NPR: https://www.npr.org/2019/06/22/7350...des-with-marine-motorcycle-group-leaving-7-de[/QUOTE]
You have to wonder why the NTSB is investigating a traffic accident, not involving a commercial passenger vehicle, in New Hampshire? The New Hampshire State Police can and is capable of conducting this investigation with the necessary expertise and equipment. Makes one wonder what we are not being told so far.

The NTSB investigates any accident it deems indicates a threat to public safety might exist. They investigate highway, rail, aircraft, and possible marine accidents though I'm not so sure about that last one. Most people only hear about airplane investigations due to the resulting news coverage so they think that's all the NTSB does. The fact that they are in on this would indicate to me there's more than just individual negligence involved in this accident.

NTSB’s Legal Authority

I seem to recall that the NTSB can do this if/whenever it choose to do so. Here is the reference to their authority to do so, and the breadth of the investigations: § 831.30 Authority of NTSB in highway investigations.
(a)Scope. The NTSB is responsible for the investigation of selected highway accidents (e.g., collisions, crashes and explosions), including at railroad grade-crossing accidents. Such investigations will be conducted in cooperation with the designated authorities of the state or local jurisdiction in which the accident occurred.
(b)Authority to examine or test. Pursuant to § 831.9 <https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/831.9> of this part, a credentialed employee of the NTSB is authorized to examine or test any item, including any vehicle, part of a vehicle, equipment, or contents of any vehicle or equipment involved in an accident subject to the NTSB's authority. Examination or testing will be conducted -
(1) To the extent practicable, so as to not interfere with or obstruct the transportation services provided by the owner or operator of a vehicle or equipment; and
(2) In a manner that preserves evidence relating to the transportation accident, in cooperation with the owner or operator of the vehicle or equipment, and consistent with the needs of the investigation.
(c) Any Federal, state, or local agency that conducts an investigation of the same highway accident the NTSB is investigating shall provide the results of its investigation to the NTSB. This last paragraph (c) is the important one.

Like to stay pretty spread out when riding in a group.
We've all seen m/c clubs riding in some kind of close formation, and I've even seen groups of motor LEOs riding that way too. I suppose this looks cool but it serves no practical purpose - and might invite the kind of disaster being discussed here. Do we know whether "close formation" riding was involved? And do I understand correctly that they were not wearing helmets!!??
May they rest in peace.

Common Carriers

Articles said driver working for a transportation company in Massachusetts, common carrier will have DOT number and regulations so crash will be investigated by NTSB.
Crash bad because pickup was pulling a long gooseneck trailer if it had jackknifed and was in their lane the bikes had a longe distance to swerve to miss truck and trailer, also trailer most likely low enough that the old lay her down and slide under also would not work.
Lots of assumptions and wag as I wasn’t on the scene and not a lot of info has been released yet, I can see how deadly this accident could have been no mater what formation the riders were in or how skilled of a rider they were or how maneuverable the bike was.
Final thoughts horrible tragedy but it could have been much worse think of the large groups of riders we have seen two abreast separated by a bike length or so.

You have to wonder why the NTSB is investigating a traffic accident, not involving a commercial passenger vehicle, in New Hampshire? The New Hampshire State Police can and is capable of conducting this investigation with the necessary expertise and equipment. Makes one wonder what we are not being told so far.

The pickup truck towing a trailer was stated to be a "commercial" hauler. Thus the NTSB is interested. They will likely defer to the State Police, but may take action against the commercial trucking company if they find that to be proper.

We've all seen m/c clubs riding in some kind of close formation, and I've even seen groups of motor LEOs riding that way too. I suppose this looks cool but it serves no practical purpose - and might invite the kind of disaster being discussed here. Do we know whether "close formation" riding was involved? And do I understand correctly that they were not wearing helmets!!??
May they rest in peace.

A group of bikes with two to three second spacing in a nice staggered formation could still easily be wiped out by a pickup truck and gooseneck trailer going 60 mph at the initial impact. Yes maybe they were in too tight a formation, and maybe they didn't have on helmets but somehow given all the unknowns I refuse to throw stones. They are dead! Criticism will do little to sooth the survivors.

Thanks David. I did find some information on the company (Westfield Transport). The report seems to have lots of information, but does not mean much to me. Perhaps you can interpret. See: https://www.quicktransportsolutions...tts/westfield-transport-inc-usdot-2896429.php

Great to see you in Lebanon, BTW!

Not having experience in trucking but on the dot inspections 30 over 2 years over 20% of the time they found something this may not be unusual they may inspect until they find something, they did have 2 drug or alcohol violations and a few driver hour violations both bad, usually if stuff bad they don’t get insurance or insurance they can afford which helps keep bad drivers off the road.
However you can never underestimate stupid drivers, once I passed a driver hauling propane driving to fast and erratic when I get beside him I notice he is watching something on a tablet resting on the steering wheel while driving.
John also good to see you hope to see you again possibly at the RA rally in Virginia I might get wife to go it’s reasonably close to her brothers place in Rockville, Md.

Back