• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A grim day in NH

That Dodge may have been a commercial vehicle with a car-hauler trailer. Just a guess at this point, though. NTSB will be most interested in the safety rating of that business (along with all of the evidence to document at the scene,) if that is the case.

EDIT: just read similar idea in thread above;

A group of bikes with two to three second spacing in a nice staggered formation could still easily be wiped out by a pickup truck and gooseneck trailer going 60 mph at the initial impact. Yes maybe they were in too tight a formation, and maybe they didn't have on helmets but somehow given all the unknowns I refuse to throw stones. They are dead! Criticism will do little to sooth the survivors.

I concur. Easy to second guess what happened and what they should/shouldn't have done. But with the little information availble to us, we (as laypersons) can't accurately form an opinion of what happened. Bottom line is the riders may have done nothing wrong, been in compliance with every NH traffic law and this tragedy still happened. The truck driver could have been DUI, on the phone, fallen asleep or suffering from a medical emergency.

Bottom line it's was tragic loss of life, that most likely could have been prevented. But regardless of the cause, they can't be brought back and we need to be respectful to the fallen and the survivors.

As an aside,
There has been a recent enforcement/expansion of requiring DOT Numbers/Registration.
Having been "involved" in governmental safety/OSHA training classes, most instructors have pointed out that many agency involvement comes from news stories.
OM

Crash bad because pickup was pulling a long gooseneck trailer if it had jackknifed and was in their lane the bikes had a longe distance to swerve to miss truck and trailer,.

Yep it was a long gooseneck flatbed.

randolph3.jpg

The important thing is to take away lessons learned so future behavior can be modified to prevent a recurrence of this accident. Analyzing the accident needs to be done without emotion or personal bias, and not on a forum by people who have no access to the facts. Unfortunately, the factors that led to this accident have likely been analyzed many times and the lessons learned have not been applied. Bottom line is people are dead and families are devastated.

The important thing is to take away lessons learned so future behavior can be modified to prevent a recurrence of this accident. Analyzing the accident needs to be done without emotion or personal bias, and not on a forum by people who have no access to the facts. Unfortunately, the factors that led to this accident have likely been analyzed many times and the lessons learned have not been applied. Bottom line is people are dead and families are devastated.

Agree 100% with all of these points. Nothing bothers me so much as conjecture by internet spectators on what caused an accident or what the rider(s) should have done to avoid an accident. Happens in my neck of the woods all the time and it DOES NOT HELP.

Last edited:
Agree 100% with all of these points. Nothing bothers me so much as conjecture by internet spectators on what caused an accident or what the rider(s) should have done to avoid an accident. Happens in my neck of the woods all the time and it DOES NOT HELP.

Happens all the time across our country and the single most common cause is speed of the commercial vehicle.

When I drive a combination vehicle, the posted limit is what I do because if I don't, I have a trailer swing that can be fatal to oncoming. The difference of just 10 KPH can mean the difference of the trailer staying behind you or swing out.

Been following this since Friday night, can't figure out why the pickup caught fire. Latest report seems to indicate 23 yr old driver drifted across lane and then over corrected causing trailer to jack knife swinging across the lane. GF lives in Westfield where the trucking company is located. I rode to work today for the first time this year, traffic is brutal.

Yup, you just beat me to it ExGMAN, mine's from The Boston Herald. Doesn't say why they charged him with being a fugitive. The owner of the Trucking Company was quoted over the weekend saying he had tried contacting his employee many times and he didn't answer his cell phone..

"New Hampshire officials this morning charged the driver of a truck involved in a fatal crash that killed seven motorcyclists with seven counts of negligent homicide.

Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, 23, was arrested at his home in West Springfield by Massachusetts State Police at about 8 a.m. this morning on a fugitive from justice charge, according to a release from the New Hampshire attorney general’s office.

A warrant was issued for Zhukovskyy’s arrest out of New Hampshire on seven charges of negligent homicide in connection with the collision Friday, according the release.

The crash in Randolph, N.H., Friday afternoon killed seven bikers from a Massachusetts veterans group. Killed in the crash were Jo-Ann and Edward Corr, both 58, of Lakeville, Michael Ferazzi, 62, of Contoocook, N.H., Albert Mazza, 59, of Lee, N.H., Desma Oakes, 42, of Concord, N.H., Aaron Perry, 45, of Farmington, N.H., and Daniel Pereira, 58, of Riverside, R.I.

Several other riders were injured in the devastating wreck.

All of them died as a result of blunt trauma, according to Deputy Attorney General Jane E. Young.

Zhukovskyy was driving a 2016 Dodge 2500 pickup towing a car-hauling trailer on Route 2 west about 6:30 p.m. Friday, authorities said, when it struck the group of motorcyclists heading east, authorities said.

The announcement of today’s arrest was made by Young, along with Coos County Attorney John McCormick and N.H. State Police Col. Christopher J. Wagner."

— Developing

Yup, you just beat me to it ExGMAN, mine's from The Boston Herald. Doesn't say why they charged him with being a fugitive.

I think the "Fugitive from Justice" charge is simply a mechanism to get him from MA to NH. I'm more familiar with the Federal system, so my knowledge of the intrastate rendition process is minimal.

Russian driver had a DUI in May. Many Russians emigrated to the Westfield area in the 90's, they just finished building a huge Russian Orthodox Church in Westfield.
ENFIELD — Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, the West Springfield man facing 7 counts of negligent homicide in New Hampshire following a weekend crash in Randolph, was arrested on a drunken driving charge last month in Connecticut.

According to court records, Zhukovskyy was arrested by East Windsor police on Prospect Road on May 11 at 10:15 a.m. He was charged with operating under the influence of alcohol.

He was released from custody after posting $2,500 bail. He was due to be arraigned on the charge on May 20, but the hearing was postponed because his lawyer had a scheduling conflict."
https://www.masslive.com/news/2019/...driving-charge-last-month-in-connecticut.html

I think the "Fugitive from Justice" charge is simply a mechanism to get him from MA to NH. I'm more familiar with the Federal system, so my knowledge of the intrastate rendition process is minimal.
Your opinion sounds correct.

"Coos County Attorney John McCormick said during a weekend press conference that the investigation of the crash will look at the conduct of Zhukovskyy and the company he works for, Westfield Transport, Inc., of Springfield.

Records from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration indicate that the company has faced various violations in the last two years, including two instances where drivers were in possession of narcotic drugs.

A man who answered the phone at a number listed for Westfield Transport on Monday afternoon said he was on the other line with state police and hung up when asked for a comment.

During inspections on March 9, 2018, and March 12, 2018, a driver was found in possession of a narcotic drug, amphetamine, according to the federal records. Those inspections happened in Vermont and Massachusetts, respectively.
A photo from the scene of Friday’s crash showed license plate S26138 on the Westfield Transport pickup truck.

Federal records indicate that license plate number was involved in the March 9 and 12 inspections, when the driver was in possession of amphetamine.

The federal records do not list drivers who were behind the wheel during the inspections.

Other inspections led to the discovery of vehicle maintenance violations including inoperative or defective brakes, drivers who did not have a required CDL license and unsafe driving violations like failure to stay in a lane and speeding 11 to 14 miles per hour more than the speed limit, according to records.

Over the weekend, officials said they could not release many details about the investigation, including whether drugs or alcohol may have been factors in the crash.

When Zhukovskyy was arrested Monday morning, Massachusetts State Police found wax packets containing a residue that authorities believe is heroin in his home.

As of Monday afternoon, Zhukovskyy is not facing any drug charges. If the residue tests positive as an illegal narcotic, Zhukovskyy will face drug charges, state police said.

The crash has rocked both the veteran and motorcycle communities."
Those killed were members or supporters of the Marine JarHeads, a New England motorcycle club that includes Marines and their spouses.

Authorities have identified the victims as Jo-Ann and Edward Corr, both 58, of Lakeville, Massachusetts; Michael Ferazzi, 62, of Contoocook, New Hampshire; Albert Mazza Jr., 59, of Lee, New Hampshire; Desma Oakes, 42, of Concord, New Hampshire; Aaron Perry, 45, of Farmington, New Hampshire; and Daniel Pereira, 58, of Riverside, Rhode Island.

About 400 paid tribute to the victims during a Blessing of the Bikes ceremony on Sunday."
https://www.masslive.com/springfiel...story-of-violations-federal-records-show.html

OTE=ExGMan;1170598]
You have to wonder why the NTSB is investigating a traffic accident, not involving a commercial passenger vehicle, in New Hampshire?

But you are wrong on that point. It was a commercial vehicle. It belonged to some transport company. Pretty sure it one of those "hot shot" truckers that haul light loads, campers and trailers. Just because it was a Ram 2500 pickup does not exclude it from being a commercial vehicle.

Ukrainian on a green card with multiple DUI arrests and a B&E at Home Depot. why was he still in the country and why was he still in possession of a valid drivers license? Welcome to the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts. How do you get "permanent resident status" when you have multiple arrests? I highly doubt he had a CDL Commercial license considering his record. Also according to his facebook page he was at the beach the next day.
"SPRINGFIELD — The 23-year-old West Springfield truck driver charged with killing seven bikers Friday in New Hampshire had two drunken driving arrests — one just last month — along with a drug conviction on his extensive record and is now facing the prospect of deportation proceedings, court records show.

Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, a Ukrainian national with a U.S. green card, is due to be arraigned Tuesday in New Hampshire on seven counts of negligent homicide in the weekend motorcycle disaster — a crash his father said occurred on his son’s third day on the job.

“I’m sorry for the families,” the defendant’s father, also named Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, told the Herald Monday.

The father said they are from the Ukraine and his son recently got permanent resident status in the United States. The younger Zhukovskyy’s court file includes a newly filed June 23 letter from an ICE deportation officer requesting details of his 2017 heroin and cocaine convictions.

The younger Zhukovskyy also has a lengthy driving record, including a drunken driving conviction in 2013 and an arrest after failing a field sobriety test last month in a Walmart parking lot in East Windsor, Conn. He was due back in court for that case Wednesday.

When asked why Zhukovskyy still had an active Massachusetts driver’s license before the crash, MassDOT spokeswoman Jacquelyn Goddard said in a statement: “The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles is looking into this matter.” His Massachusetts license was only suspended Monday because he was deemed an “immediate threat,” records show, despite his second OUI arrest on May 11.

Massachusetts State Police arrested Zhukovskyy Monday morning on a fugitive from justice charge out of New Hampshire. He was turned over to N.H. law enforcement officials.

State police also confiscated “wax packets containing a residue suspected of being heroin,” when they arrested Zhukovskyy Monday. State police said additional charges may be filed if they test positive for heroin.

His hearing Tuesday is in Coos County Superior Court in Lancaster, N.H. — about 15 miles from the site of the deadly crash in Randolph, N.H.
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/0...motorcycle-crash-had-drunken-driving-history/
http://www.tbdailynews.com/driver-r...beach-sources-report-drug-use-prior-accident/

Last edited:
But you are wrong on that point. It was a commercial vehicle. It belonged to some transport company. Pretty sure it one of those "hot shot" truckers that haul light loads, campers and trailers. Just because it was a Ram 2500 pickup does not exclude it from being a commercial vehicle.
yes, it was a commercial vehicle and I highly doubt he had a CDL License given his arrest record.

No air brakes, under a certain weight limit CDL not required for an individual driver. I don’t know if he had to have one because he was driving for hire, or hauling interstate.
Justice moves slowly as a result 7 dead.
Westfield trucking shares the blame, I know people who have lost trucking jobs because of any ticket this man should have never been behind the wheel of one of their trucks at time of accident!

This is the discussion just now on local talk radio.....

They are saying it was a driving mistake by the truck driver. He was going to fast, drifted over the center line, over corrected, causing the trailer to swing out...hitting the riders.

They have no explanation for the fire, and none for the driver leaving the scene.

But already , many are defending him. It amazes me in cases like this just how many "experts" come out of the shadows......

FWIW- 26,000 GVW (gross vehicle weight) is the number. Dodge 2500 was probably around 9000 GVW and the trailer 14000 GVW which keeps in under a CDL.
the box trucks you see at a Budget or Penske rental facility are usually 25,900 GVW so anyone can rent them.
Bad decisions, bad driving with a side order of Mass.
OM

Back