• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 R1200RT oil question

highlandboy

With my previous bike a Kawasaki VoyagerXII most riders used Shell 15W40 diesel oil in their bikes with great success and consider cost savings over the MC shop oil. My question now that the oil is down a bit what oil do riders use in their engines?:scratch

Oil is cheap (even good oil). Use whatever brand tickles your fancy as long as it meets the spec and the viscosity for the temperature where you are. Buy the best oil you can afford. Don't go cheap no-name stuff just to save a few (hundred) pennies. The Camhead has a dry clutch so you don't need to buy "motorcycle-specific" oils that are formulated for wet clutch lubrication.

Me?

I've used Mobile 1, Motorex, Castrol, etc. Except for Motorex, most good brand name oils you can get at Walmart run about $20-$25 dollars. Keep in mind that it takes 4 liters with a filter change so you'll need just a tiny bit more than four quarts.

Pay attention to the amount you put in. The Camheads are finicky about how you check oil quantity. It has to be run until it reaches running temperature, parked on the center stand, and checked five minutes later. Do it this way or you run the risk of overfilling it (bad).

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your ride. It's a great bike!

PS - Oil threads are generally anathema on forums. Search is your friend.

Separate oil thread?

Some of us looking for a laugh enjoy reading all the experts on oil threads. So why not humor us?

OK...

<...pulls the pin...>

...I think Mobile 1 10W40 is the best and anyone that disagrees with me in the least is a poopoo head!!!

<...chucks the grenade...>

:hide

oooohh, here's one

Since I am leaving in July for a trip across Texas and New Mexico headed for the volcanoes in Oregon, I blended some M 1 20w50 with my 10w40.

Back