• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rally Patch

lee

Debbie's Servant
Did they not hand out a rally patch this year?
There was a pin in our mugs but no patch.
Most of my patches and pins go in a gallon zip lock, but I like to pin the National patches to the wall in my bike room.
If they had patches I'll contact the office to see if they have any left.

No, they didn't include them this year, just a pin and a sticker. The patches were available at the sewing booth for $3 each.

No, they didn't include them this year, just a pin and a sticker. The patches were available at the sewing booth for $3 each.

I wish I had known this I would have purchased one, is there any way to get one now? Maybe in future years if patches are not being included, please put up a sign during check in or something.

I only found out they were there because I went to the sewing booth to ask the ladies a question.

I read a sign that they were $3 at the sewing booth with the proceeds going to the charity. One key reason we got the proceeds to the charity all the way up to about $3 per head instead of the typical 80 cents to 1$ a head. One of my pet peeves is the miserly amount we typically raise for the charity.

I bet they have leftovers they ought to be willing to sell for $3.

amount raised for (childrens') charity should be increased

I read a sign that they were $3 at the sewing booth with the proceeds going to the charity. One key reason we got the proceeds to the charity all the way up to about $3 per head instead of the typical 80 cents to 1$ a head. One of my pet peeves is the miserly amount we typically raise for the charity.

I bet they have leftovers they ought to be willing to sell for $3.

Hi Paul,
I agree with you! I expected the charity funds to exceed $25,000. I'm sad that over 6,000 attendees only donated $16,000! I'd like to see the registration fee increased by at least ONE DOLLAR so that every attendee donates to the charity, over & above what's raised by various methods at the rally. I enjoyed buying several rounds of wing-span 50/50 tickets, but I'm amazed how unaware many riders were of the efforts being made for this disabled childrens' school this year.
Thanks for listening!
Mark

I emailed Ted Moyer to see about buying a patch.
He said they sold all the patches at the rally but they are ordering more.
Latter in the week you will be able to order patches from the Gear Store.
It will be 4 to 6 weeks before the patches are available.

I had heard that they weren't providing patches this year year in the cup, so I went over to the sewing booth and gave the ladies $20 for 4 and passed them out at the campsite for my friends who I know collect them. I heard they had only brought less than a thousand to sell at the rally, so I'm glad that they will be made available through the store soon

I'm a terrible person

I don't think that it is appropriate to charge extra for the rally patch regardless the reason. Historically the cost for these have been included in the registration fee. As far as charities go, I feel that each individual needs to look within themselves & then make his or her decision as to charitable contributions. Charities are a fine thing until we begin being taxed for them by the MOA in our rally fees. Lets keep charities voluntary.

I don't think that it is appropriate to charge extra for the rally patch regardless the reason. Historically the cost for these have been included in the registration fee. As far as charities go, I feel that each individual needs to look within themselves & then make his or her decision as to charitable contributions. Charities are a fine thing until we begin being taxed for them by the MOA in our rally fees. Lets keep charities voluntary.

While I agree about the patch, I have long been dismayed by the pattern of stinginess I see among our rally goers. In Terlingua, Texas 80 or so Ford Cobra owners gather every year and raise tens of thousands of dollars for local schools, EMTs, etc. Most years our rally generates less than $1 per attendee and that includes the club contributions, sewing booth, etc. I was elated when this year we actually got the total a bit over $3 per attendee. When our culture as a whole becomes "all about me" instead of "all about we", our culture is the lesser for it.

As for patches, between us Voni and I have a few over 60 of them in bags and drawers but have never sewn one on anything. YMMV.

I'm fine with the way it was handled. It was up to the individual to decide if they wanted to make a donation and as a thank you they received a patch.
It can't be cheap to make 6,000 to 7,000 patches each year.
It a lot of money spent for the few who want a patch.
Like Paul, many members just toss the patch in a draw when they return home.

I'm fine with the way it was handled. It was up to the individual to decide if they wanted to make a donation and as a thank you they received a patch.
It can't be cheap to make 6,000 to 7,000 patches each year.
It a lot of money spent for the few who want a patch.
Like Paul, many members just toss the patch in a draw when they return home.

Ok I'm guilty. I was a first timer didn't know what to do so I.stopped in the building where they sold those. They said it was a wait to sew it on but buy one now if you want it since they might not last. I bought one. I don't know what charity it went to or if I agree with it. I never went back to sew it on. Now it's still in the mug on my desk with the pin. Now that I see this is a "thing" maybe I will get some more (I have stuff from other clubs) and sew it on a different jacket.

Maybe a cool jeans jacket. To ride to the coffee shop on the Airhead I currently don't have.

While I agree about the patch, I have long been dismayed by the pattern of stinginess I see among our rally goers. In Terlingua, Texas 80 or so Ford Cobra owners gather every year and raise tens of thousands of dollars for local schools, EMTs, etc. Most years our rally generates less than $1 per attendee and that includes the club contributions, sewing booth, etc. I was elated when this year we actually got the total a bit over $3 per attendee. When our culture as a whole becomes "all about me" instead of "all about we", our culture is the lesser for it.

As for patches, between us Voni and I have a few over 60 of them in bags and drawers but have never sewn one on anything. YMMV.

I agree Paul, it should be WE not me!

Back