Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Resetting the clock on the 1200GS

Resetting the clock on the 1200GS

I've read the owners manual, and pressed the rubbery button for two seconds waiting for the clock to start blinking in set mode. But nothing ever happens. I've tried it with the ignition in every position, with the bike's engine on and off, and in several gears plus neutral, pressing gently and with a lot of weight on it, and still, nothing happens.

Is there a trick I'm missing, or do you suppose my clock reset button simply doesn't work?
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

ScooterCain
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercindy View Post
    I've read the owners manual, and pressed the rubbery button for two seconds waiting for the clock to start blinking in set mode. But nothing ever happens. I've tried it with the ignition in every position, with the bike's engine on and off, and in several gears plus neutral, pressing gently and with a lot of weight on it, and still, nothing happens.

Is there a trick I'm missing, or do you suppose my clock reset button simply doesn't work?
    If you figured this out let me know how it works. I did not get the owners manual with my 05 GS so I have not figured out how to set my clock

Moved to the Hexhead forum where it might get an answer..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

gened12

Lightbulb 2 ways to do it

Hi,

First way to do it it to press the reset button for more than 5 seconds.
    2nd way is to disconnect the battery terminals but you should try the first option.

Cheers

Denis R1200RT (former GS owner)

Stuff2c
    Quote Originally Posted by gened12 View Post
    Hi,

First way to do it it to press the reset button for more than 5 seconds.
    2nd way is to disconnect the battery terminals but you should try the first option.

Cheers

Denis R1200RT (former GS owner)
    what he said has always worked for me

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    I can do mine anytime, but you have to hold the rubberized button for more than 2 seconds to get it started.

Hold the button until the hours start to blink, release it. Then push it repeatedly until it is at the right time.

Hold the button again until the hours stop blinking, release it.

Hold the button until the minutes start to blink, release it. Then push it repeatedly until it is at the right time.

Hold the button again until the minutes stop blinking, release it.

Done.

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download or DVD, or USB for the Wethead.

SNC1923
    Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden1 View Post
    I can do mine anytime, but you have to hold the rubberized button for more than 2 seconds to get it started.

Hold the button until the hours start to blink, release it. Then push it repeatedly until it is at the right time.

Hold the button again until the hours stop blinking, release it.

Hold the button until the minutes start to blink, release it. Then push it repeatedly until it is at the right time.

Hold the button again until the minutes stop blinking, release it.

Done.

Jim
    What Jim said. Nothin' to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuff2C View Post
    what he said has always worked for me
    The pita of it all is that the last push of the button to lock the hour, adds another hour to the display... The same w/ minutes!

It takes some getting used to, and how often does one adjust/set the time? Not exactly intuitive.

Len

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lenrt1200st View Post
    The pita of it all is that the last push of the button to lock the hour, adds another hour to the display... The same w/ minutes!

It takes some getting used to, and how often does one adjust/set the time? Not exactly intuitive.

Len
    That's odd, it never has for me.

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download or DVD, or USB for the Wethead.

I have noticed that there is a slight delay of maybe a fraction of a second between pressing the button and the number actually changing, so maybe that's what Len has had trouble with.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

Stuntman
    I just wait untill it is 12:00 then I disconnect the battery......

Wow! Can't believe this was resuscitated after more than two years!!! Well, I figured it out. Sort of...

It turns out that the button to reset the clock was bad so the the whole cluster had to be replaced in order to get a clock that could be reset. Thankfully it was under warranty. But still, it seems like a major design flaw when the entire cluster needs to be replaced because of a faulty clock.

BTW, I bought the bike (an '05 12GS) used with 12,065 miles on it at a dealership on October 22, 2005. Note the date of this thread: October 25, 2005, just three days after I bought it. Daylight savings time ended that week, and that's why I noticed it. For all I know the clock hadn't worked since the bike was brand new. I eventually got the new cluster around a month later when it had 13,181 miles on it. The dealership couldn't (or wouldn't) set the odometer to 13,181, so mine always reads 13,181 miles less that it ought to. Shouldn't be a big deal, I know, but I'm anal retentive about crap like that so it pisses me off. That, and for as long as I own this bike I'm going to be skeptical about that damn cluster. Probably not fair, but there you go. Otherwise I love the bike.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

Odometer set!?

Some states apparently have laws, requiring the odometer be set at the miles it broke or stopped working, when replaced. California must, because my pickup truck did this and they had to set the miles, as actual miles when the odometer stopped working, when the dealer ordered the new unit. It was electronic also. I wonder if it can be done on the BMW unit? Unknown quantity. Randy13233

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercindy View Post

It turns out that the button to reset the clock was bad so the the whole cluster had to be replaced in order to get a clock that could be reset. Thankfully it was under warranty. But still, it seems like a major design flaw when the entire cluster needs to be replaced because of a faulty clock.
    Same thing on my F650GS. I thought it was dumb then also. Nice to know that nothing has changed.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

copdoc

clock reseet

clock is incorrect setting following 600 mile service pressing rubber button w/ clock showing on display for any amount of time does not place any number in a blinking mode. K1200S. Any thughts?

tony