• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stock seat modification

bavluvr

I just bought a 2011 RT. The stock seat is terrible. The bikes got ESA(no low seat option). There are two seat positions but in the lowest position I'm still on my toes(ie short legs). Has any one had any luck having the seat re-uphulstered to make it lower but adequate, like firmer foam? Thanks

You can of course buy any one of the many aftermarket saddles out there (Corbin, Russel, Lamm, Sargent, etc.) but you can also use either the of the BMW lower saddle options, the low "Comfort" seat or the one-piece ultra low seat, on any 2005-2013 RT regardless of whether it has ESA or not. The only thing you need to do is 1) get one of those seats, and 2) remove the two plastic spacers the stock seat sits on that are mounted to the frame on either side of the rear brake fluid reservoir. The extra low seat is not something I would ever recommend but I just did 850 miles this weekend on the Comfort seat and it worked out OK. My inseam is about 29" and I can almost totally flatfoot it.

PS - (note: shameless plug) I have a new Sargent seat coming in tomorrow and should it work out I will have a BMW Low Comfort seat coming up for sale pretty cheap...

Hi, I bought a 2009 1200rt last year in August, a used one, I got on it and was tippy toeing, I've never not been flat footed on a bike, I did what the previous poster stated to do, that did not help nearly enough. I have a 29 inseam and looked at the frame and the seat and knew I would have to do something real drastic which I did as I can not and still can not afford a custom seat so I took a Dremel to the bottom plastic, cut a large piece off and started pulling the foam out. I could finally sit flat footed but then added a lot of the foam back as I road in my area. Most who post here will ride all over America and further but I won't be able to do that, I had three bad car accidents that left me with a very messed up back. Driving a car bothers my back more than riding does, I was on disability for many years, I'm retired now and I have to be careful how far I travel. Some days I can go further but I've ridden most of my life and wanted to see if I could again. I'm not a big man, 5' 9" slender, 140 ibs I think, trying to gain more weight as you have to have muscles to ride a bike, more for the bigger one's. If I can win the lottery I'll buy a nice seat, I am flat footed completely and the ride is comfortable.

I bought a 2010 that was stock lowered (no ESA) with low seat and at 5’6” with a 29” inseam I could flat foot it or come very close to it depending on the surface. I know most don’t find the stock seat acceptable but for any rides I did, up to an 350-400 mile ride it worked fine for me. I was not impressed with the quality and the faux leather vinyl of the stock seat and I was fortunate to find a one piece Corbin low seat.

The Corbin low seat fits on the RT the same as the low seat, no adjuster hardware present so it sits as low as a seat can on this bike. Either because of the firmness of the foam or the shape it does feel like it sits about an inch higher than the stock low seat but I can still touch on both sides with the balls of my feet or flat foot on one side with a bit a a lean.

I’d say if you can get one of the one piece seats like the low seat or a aftermarket version that might help. It requires you to remove the adjusting hardware which puts the seat at the lowest it can be. I think any of the 2 piece seat options are going to put the seat higher up as you have the hardware in place to move the seat up and down.

9f406234f7607693c22d9154996972b2.jpg

I just bought a 2011 RT. The stock seat is terrible. The bikes got ESA(no low seat option). There are two seat positions but in the lowest position I'm still on my toes(ie short legs). Has any one had any luck having the seat re-uphulstered to make it lower but adequate, like firmer foam? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bavluvr,
I just had a stock seat reworked by a local guy in CT. He dropped a couple of inches of foam. I'm 5'7" and still touch on my toes, but the seat is also wider. More comfortable than stock. Also got a RDL when I bought the RT which I can only touch with one foot, but use that for long distance. I have a third seat which is a Rich's from Washington. That's also wider and lower. I may try to take the adjustor out too, I hadn't heard of that process. Good luck, let me know if you want to buy a low seat, I'll sell you one.

You can of course buy any one of the many aftermarket saddles out there (Corbin, Russel, Lamm, Sargent, etc.) but you can also use either the of the BMW lower saddle options, the low "Comfort" seat or the one-piece ultra low seat, on any 2005-2013 RT regardless of whether it has ESA or not. The only thing you need to do is 1) get one of those seats, and 2) remove the two plastic spacers the stock seat sits on that are mounted to the frame on either side of the rear brake fluid reservoir. The extra low seat is not something I would ever recommend but I just did 850 miles this weekend on the Comfort seat and it worked out OK. My inseam is about 29" and I can almost totally flatfoot it.

PS - (note: shameless plug) I have a new Sargent seat coming in tomorrow and should it work out I will have a BMW Low Comfort seat coming up for sale pretty cheap...

Thanks. Let me know:)

Some aftermarket manufacturers will have you purchase a turn-key replacement. A few others will use your seat pan and either completely redo the foam and support to customize it to your needs. There are lots of threads on 'which is the best seat?', but like clothing or mattresses, it's all about fit and comfort that is unique to you. The best move I ever did was to put a Russel Day Long on my GS. While the shape is completely different, and it didn't put my toes any closer to the ground, it does provide for 800 mile days without discomfort.

Back