• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2019 1250RT Demo Ride

18grandam

I'm new to BMW motorcycles, bought a K1600 Grand America last May and love it. I've been riding Japanese motorcycles for more years than I care to remember. Brought my Grand America up to my Dealer last Friday to install new tires and to do a software update. While there they offered for me to demo any one of their bikes. I chose the new 1250RT model after reading about all of the improvements in magazines and advertisements. Never riding a Boxer bike, I thought I'd see what it was like.

One thing that I really like about BMWs is that most of their bikes have very similar control arrangements so moving from one bike to the other is not a new learning curve all over again looking for controls. I immediately noticed how light the RT was as compared to my K1600. The RT is almost 200 pounds lighter than my K bike, and it handles like a dream in the turns. Very neutral handling, felt light all the time. I owned several Kawasaki Concours 1400's which handle great but always felt heavy, and required a lot of effort to muscle the bike around and in the turns. The Boxer engine sounded funny to me because I always rode In-Line 4 cylinder bikes, and now the K16 6-cylinder. At idle the boxer had a noticeable vibration or light shake, which I assume is typical for these types of bikes. It shifted very smooth, but the clutch engaged far too soon for me. I'm sure a simple adjustment would fix that. The bike had lots of pep, and the seating position for me was much better and more natural than expected. At 6'3", I thought that my legs would hit the boxer engine sides, but nope, there was plenty of leg room. I found the suspension quite stiff though. It appears that the suspension isn't adjustable. The Dealer said that the ESA automatically senses the load and adjusts the suspension accordingly. I found it far too stiff to be enjoyable on a long ride. The windshield and fairing provided unexpected excellent wind protection their size. I guess the only thing I didn't like about it other than the stiff suspension was the throttle. My K1600 has the throttle-by-wire set up as well, and at times it can be more sensitive than I would like, and sometimes a little lurchy during down hill deceleration, although the "drivability" software update seems to have improved that. I found that the RT throttle was a little hard to control smoothly especially in 2nd gear. But I guess like any new bike, once you ride it for a while you get acustomed to the way the bike performs. Overall, I'd say that BMW did a nice job designing the 1250RT, and if I was looking for this type of bike I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Not to mention is looks real nice. I think I'll demo a K1600 GT next to see how it compares to my old Concours 1400.

Last edited:
RT versus K

I owned a 2012 K1600 GTL for a few years and loved it. I then switched to an adventure style given I was in TX and running into ranch roads that went to dirt and wanted that freedom. I tried the KTM 1290 SA and loved the engine, but it was tall, and the equipment just wasn't the quality of BMW. I moved to Memphis and found myself riding only road. So when the 1250RT came out I test drove it and loved it. So now I'm on the new RT and am enjoying it - not as punchy as my last two bikes but enough fun and extraordinary smoothness and light for a full sport/tour. I'm adjusting with some popular farkles to get the fit just right, but love this bike!

On my 2018 RT the ESA has settings for one rider, rider with gear, or two riders, it can be also set for three positions of ride firmness. Normal, comfort and sport if I recall. I assume the R1250RT does too. Where was it set?

I find the softest setting on my 2018's suspension is a bit soft, I generally run it in the middle setting.

I owned a 2012 K1600 GTL for a few years and loved it. I then switched to an adventure style given I was in TX and running into ranch roads that went to dirt and wanted that freedom. I tried the KTM 1290 SA and loved the engine, but it was tall, and the equipment just wasn't the quality of BMW. I moved to Memphis and found myself riding only road. So when the 1250RT came out I test drove it and loved it. So now I'm on the new RT and am enjoying it - not as punchy as my last two bikes but enough fun and extraordinary smoothness and light for a full sport/tour. I'm adjusting with some popular farkles to get the fit just right, but love this bike!

Welcome to the club! You will love that RT as I am enoying the heck out of mine. 4000 RPM's and up, you can really feel the power.

FYI on the 2019 RT, the ESA setting is AUTO, but can be manually adjusted up or down. I can only be done while stopped. The ride modes adjust the dampening rate, which can be changed while riding.

Cheers,
William

RE: stiff suspension

On page 68 of the 2019 RT owner's manual is described "available load settings." Fixed minimum setting is "MIN." See photo below. That is where I have mine set.

Pre-2019 RTs offered "SOFT," which is what I use.

Attachments

• load settings.jpg
    load settings.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 232
I am reading (lower right of that owner's manual page) that says the damping cannot be adjusted while the motorcycle is being ridden. DOH!! I must have confused myself with the riding modes. Sorry about that. Those modes can be changed on the fly. I was thinking that was for the shocks as well, but the manual clearly states shock adjustment is done while stopped. I have yet to adjust the shocks for riding. So far it works for me and my wife (in AUTO.) Maybe I will try some adjustments to see any differences. Thanks for pointing that out Jeff.

Cheers,
William

Adjust when stopped

I am reading (lower right of that owner's manual page) that says the damping cannot be adjusted while the motorcycle is being ridden. DOH!! I must have confused myself with the riding modes. Sorry about that. Those modes can be changed on the fly. I was thinking that was for the shocks as well, but the manual clearly states shock adjustment is done while stopped. I have yet to adjust the shocks for riding. So far it works for me and my wife (in AUTO.) Maybe I will try some adjustments to see any differences. Thanks for pointing that out Jeff.

You are most welcome!

Besides the confusion as to whether ride can be modified—it can— there are also multiple ride modes with different electronically adjusted throttle response maps.

An incomplete road test, too soon to come to any negative conclusions.

I am reading (lower right of that owner's manual page) that says the damping cannot be adjusted while the motorcycle is being ridden.

That's interesting.
On our K1300S we could change damping on the fly. Same thing on our R1200RSs.

That's interesting.
On our K1300S we could change damping on the fly. Same thing on our R1200RSs.

You can change damping on the fly on the 2019 RT- by changing the ride mode (it will switch when the throttle closes and the throttle map can be reset). However, the suspension load setting changes preload and ride height, and you need to be stopped for that.

Welcome to the club! You will love that RT as I am enoying the heck out of mine. 4000 RPM's and up, you can really feel the power.

FYI on the 2019 RT, the ESA setting is AUTO, but can be manually adjusted up or down. I can only be done while stopped. The ride modes adjust the dampening rate, which can be changed while riding.

Cheers,
William

Thank you William!:thumb

Cheers,
William

Thanks for the info. Yes, I found out after the Demo Ride that even though the ESA has automatic settings, I could have softened the ride dampening rate. To be honest, I was more interested in riding it than I was playing around with the settings. Very fun ride, but much different engine sound from the Boxer than from the K1600. If I ever decide to get a lighter Sport Tourer, the RT1250 will be at the top of my list.

Back