Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Boots and gloves - what to get and expected longevity

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post

I confess I did not like the soles of these boots and had a shoe repair shop install hiking soles for a better grip, especially when putting my foot down where there might be loose gravel
    I also like a thick vibram sole on my boots.
    My wife likes thin flexible soles.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

6-10 years on a pair of boots? I feel lucky to get 2 years! I do wear them often and not just for riding so after a couple years they get replaced and get used for shop boots.

Boots, gloves

On all my leather stuff I usually use the mink oil stuff, or snow-seal

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  380.9 KB

Apply a really thick layer than use a hair dryer to melt it and allow it to soak in. Works well for me, also seems to preserve the leather keeping it from drying out.

Louise, lots of advice here . . . and some of it is good, some is opinion only and you know what they say about opinions. Well, here comes my opinion:

One factor no one has mentioned yet is color of your gloves. Has nothing to do with weather-proofness (is that a word?) but black is NOT a good color for gloves. It tends to stain your hands when it gets wet, either from sweat on a hot day or from rain.

Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

I followed a recommendation from this forum and bought Aerostich Triple-Digit rain covers for my gloves. They were brilliant through 500km of rain of sometimes biblical heaviness, they keep your hands warm, and they pack away almost to nothing. Plus they’re a lot cheaper than a pair of goretex gloves!

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    On all my leather stuff I usually use the mink oil stuff, or snow-sealName:  image.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  380.9 KB

Apply a really thick layer than use a hair dryer to melt it and allow it to soak in. Works well for me, also seems to preserve the leather keeping it from drying out.
    +1
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by lupinblue View Post
    I followed a recommendation from this forum and bought Aerostich Triple-Digit rain covers for my gloves. They were brilliant through 500km of rain of sometimes biblical heaviness, they keep your hands warm, and they pack away almost to nothing. Plus they’re a lot cheaper than a pair of goretex gloves!
    Exactly!!

Plus they dry faster than any gloves I've ever owned (Goretex included) and they have a nice squeegie for wiping your visor.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by lupinblue View Post
    I followed a recommendation from this forum and bought Aerostich Triple-Digit rain covers for my gloves.
    A long time ago I tried some nylon glove covers and did not like the slick feeling on the grips and levers.
    When I look at the Aerostich site I can't tell if there's any type of friction material on the palm side of the gloves.

Is it just nylon on the palm side and do you have problems with the gloves being slick?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    A long time ago I tried some nylon glove covers and did not like the slick feeling on the grips and levers.
    When I look at the Aerostich site I can't tell if there's any type of friction material on the palm side of the gloves.

Is it just nylon on the palm side and do you have problems with the gloves being slick?
    Wore mine for a few days of heavy rain in the Yukon last summer. I didn't find any slickness to the gloves on the grips. I've got the grip puppies on my bike, so I can't say how slick they may be on the original grips Lee.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    Wore mine for a few days of heavy rain in the Yukon last summer. I didn't find any slickness to the gloves on the grips. I've got the grip puppies on my bike, so I can't say how slick they may be on the original grips Lee.
    I found they felt a bit slippery at first- but I’d forgotten all about it in an hour or two.

Time is an ocean, but it ends at the shore.