• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1996 R1100RT Radio Handlbar Control Switch, Socket Connection for Special Equipment

oldcarman

Does anyone know of a schematic for the radio, handle bar control switch, ( volume up/down and seek/scan )? I have the Clymer and Haynes manuals but their radio schematic doesn't show this switch. In the Clymer manual radio schematic, for the 1150RT, it does show a "remote control switch), with wire colors, but doesn't say what switch function each color is for.

Where is the socket connection for special equipment located? Is this where additional accessories can be wired in? Thanks, Oldcarman jim

Attachments

• 20180913_114258_resized B.jpg
    20180913_114258_resized B.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 125
Most of those connections are by the lower left side of the gas tank (under the tupperware, of course); sorry I couldn't dig up the specific schematic for 'em; here's a partial from the 1150RT: View attachment Doc1.doc

Thanks, every little bit helps. I did find the manual for the radio, which has an abbreviated schematic . I also removed the radio Din cable cover so I can now see what color wires are used. I am going to get the ohm meter and test each wire so I can find what wire color goes to each switch and make my own schematic. I will post when I'm complete. oldcarman jim

Handle Bar Radio Control Switching Wiring 1996 R1100RT

I opened the cable for the Radio control switch and checked the wiring with an ohm meter. Attached pdf is the schematic. There are two switches in the one housing, a Volume up/dwn and a Seek up/dwn. Each switch is a SPDT, momentary switch. This past week I installed the CCS-100 cruise control on my bike, works great, and used this switch for the speed control up/dwn function. I will post more information of this installation in a separate post.

Attachments

• RadioSwitchWiring.pdf
    99.7 KB · Views: 18
How do you turn the radio on - while riding ?

I was wondering ... is the only way to turn the radio on /off is by opening the compartment ?

Back