• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hand pain - My new riding gloves

Anyname

I have actually been using these for over a year. So far they are the most effective solution for hand pain that I have tried. They are industrial work gloves intended to relieve carpal tunnel symptoms. The good news is they are fairly cheap. The bad news is they are not too stylish, although they also make a fingerless version in black leather and spandex just in case your other ride is a Harley:

IMG_0900.jpg

Stylish smilish. Who cares what they look like if they work. Only thing wrong with the gloves in the photo are the gauntlet is too short. Need some length above the wrists for protection in the rain and in a bug shower.

If you want motorcycle specific gloves try these from Klim. Very comfortable, they have Poron energy dispersing foam, are of proper length, and have a velcro closure.

Carpal Tunnel Surgery Was Effective for Me

I'd like to mention that Carpal Tunnel Surgery is safe and very effective, and can help for other situations where one experiences carpal tunnel pain: for example bicycling, using hand tools, using climbing ropes, sometimes driving a car or truck, etc. Tests are readily and cheaply available to validate the need for surgery on carpal or ulnar tunnels - for satisfying insurance authorizations. If this bothers you in multiple situations, it's probably worth considering the surgery.

I just bought a pair of those Impacto gloves for $12.50 plus free shipping on eBay. Brand new. Haven't received them yet but hopefully they'll be no surprises. Coming from Nebraska.

Gloves are like tires, oil, etc... None of them are horrible, you just have to find what's right for you. I use Held Rodney gloves in the summer; Lee Park gauntlets in the shoulder seasons, and BMW winter gloves in the sub-zero (Celsius) range. My favourites are the Rodney's

This is a sincere thank you for this thread. I'm in the netherlands between finally getting around to having a diagnosis and deciding when to lose 4 weeks to recover from surgery on both wrists.

My hands would start going numb after 10 minutes, especially on my RSL (didn't stop me from riding across the country but the numbness was a serious drag, and wrist / hand pain limited my miles on any given day). I ordered these gloves after seeing this thread and...they provided a 90 percent reduction in numbness and a healthy reduction in hand pain. I'm going to order a second pair for a backup set.

Thank you for posting this! For me, the gloves are fantastic!

Mitch

Stylish smilish. Who cares what they look like if they work. Only thing wrong with the gloves in the photo are the gauntlet is too short.

They don't have metal or hard plastic knuckle protection, they don't have little finger tied to adjacent finger, they don't have wrist strap to keep them on in a get off, they don't have a protector flap for that wrist strap, they don't have metal sliders, they likely have no kangaroo leather. If you're not wearing basically the same glove Valentino Rossi wears running MotoGP, you don't have hand protection.

My fingers were going numb after about 30 minutes riding, but only occasionally, and only with a particular pair of gloves. It took several rides before I figured out that I was putting them on incorrectly.

You wouldn't think that was possible, pull it on my hand, fasten the wrist strap, go. What could go wrong?

Well, I was stretching the glove on with my hand flat, fingers straight, when I snugged up the wrist flap. So when I curled my hand around the grip, the fingers of the glove were now too short to go around the outside curve, putting pressure on my finger tips. Once I started making a fist before fastening the wrist strap, the numbness went away and the glove was still secure.

Back