• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

floats

jimwjarmour

jimmy armour
Hi Me again, while doing some maintence I noted the floats on my alcohol proof bing carb kit ,dont float as they used to so, I still have the original floats how do these stand up with todays fuel? once again thanks in advance Jimmy:scratch

I had problems with the floats on both of my Airheads, as well as other carb parts. I now run the bikes with only non-ethanol gas and have had no problems since. If it’s available to you, that’s what I would recommend

My suggestion

I would look for a replacement set of alcohol resistant floats to replace the bad ones. I would not go back to the original floats.

I am not an expert on floats, early BMW floats were not alcohol resistant, later year floats may have been or were.

I also run non-ethanol gas WHEN I can find it. I also run the highest octane 10% gas.

The bikes had been converted over to alcohol resistant floats and rebuilt with alcohol resistant parts and fuel lines.

Both my airheads run fine on either gas. I will not run any mix higher than 10%, however. St.

Hello again, i was wondering how long the std floats would last ? Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

I use the standard floats. To test if they are "fuel logged", weight them on a kitchen scale that can measure in grams. New floats are on the order of 10-13 grams. Fuel logged floats are on the order of 18+ grams.

I have standard floats that have been used for more than 5 years with Ethanol (10%) laced gasoline. They are not fuel logged. That said, the rubber seals in the carbs don't seem to hold up as long as I would like.

My general rule of thumb is to consider replacing the carburetor o-rings and floats in the 5-7 year bracket to avoid unpleasant experiences. It's easy to check the o-ring condition by unscrewing the jet carrier with the large o-ring and the idle jet screw with the small o-ring. It they tear when you remove them, seem swollen, or are cracked, time to replace them, the diaphragm, and the floats while you are at it, aka, a full carburetor rebuild. That will cost you about $250-$300 at today's parts prices and using your own labor.

Here is how you do a complete rebuild.

At about 35,000-45,000 miles, it's worth replacing the jet needle and needle jets as well. These wear from vibration and lose the ability to accurately meter the mid-range fuel flow.

I hope that helps.

Best.
Brook Reams.

thanks for the help

thanks again yes I noted Motobins only has the standard items for sale, I installed 2 bing kits way back at an national rally Madison Indiana I seem to remember so they are a lot of years old, so being the packrat that I am I still have the old std ones from both mine and my friends bike ,so if they only last a year or two that will do, re the diaphrams O rings and needles all changed last year, so, at present I,m installing an RT fairing ,and once finished will try the old floats, thanks all, bye for now Jimmy:thumb

Back