Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1991 R100 Classic paint code

Quote Originally Posted by ozziex7 View Post
    Wow...those last two pictures of the R100 look stunning. Paintwork looks great as does the chrome. It's testimony to how well these bikes are engineered that almost 30 years after she popped of the production line, you're able to bring her back to that condition.

My R100 Trad (your Classic) is having the forks resprayed and a full service including a carb rebuild, that should give me another 10-15 years of running. I have got a dent in my tank and I need to find someone to help me coax that out without damaging the paintwork. Also....how did you get your carbs and engine block looking so good? apart from elbow grease, what did you use?
    For the dent, I've had good luck in the past with paintless dent repair. Any auto dealership can point you to those guys.
    I use an ultrasonic cleaner to get the carbs looking like that inside and out. On the engine block, I used Dawn dishwashing liquid and water, together with a rag and a lot of scrubbing. It's a great degreaser and doesn't stain aluminum. But it will take the wax off of painted surfaces - just FYI.

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by bikegeezer View Post
    Funny you should mention that. I bought the windshield set when I bought the bike in '91, and you're right - it looked great. However, the shield cracked after only about 2,000 miles. Bought another shield, and it did the same thing. I got the DSM involved, and he installed another shield for free, convinced I was screwing something up. When that one cracked a month later, he refunded my purchase price. That's when I bought the Parabellum. I hope they changed whatever was causing that.

Stu
    Strange, I rode with mine on a '74 R90/6 over 100,000 trouble free miles and no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Strange, I rode with mine on a '74 R90/6 over 100,000 trouble free miles and no problems.
    As you know, the '74 and '91 are different animals in several areas. The shield kits, or at least the mounts, may have been entirely different. And what I had may not be the same as what they're selling now. I might be able to dig up an old photo of it. If so, I'll post it.

Stu

In this instance, I think their the same. If you go to my thread Ride, eat, and meet under the South under the Club.
    Post # 2823, 2824, 2879, 2889. I think these pics show the mounting of the windshield set.

Hello all. This is my first post so not really familiar how this all works so bear with me.
    I wanted to pass on some info.
    Came across your posts a couple weeks ago and found it very interesting. First because I have always liked this model of airhead, secondly because I have one of the missing 'Unicorns'.
    The elusive 91' R100 'Classic' came to me used in 2001 from a purchase through BMW dealer and original owner. My # reads... M6419165.
    I love riding mine and hope your rejuvenation project works well. Best wishes for many miles of fun riding.

Quote Originally Posted by cbacco57 View Post
    Hello all. This is my first post so not really familiar how this all works so bear with me.
    I wanted to pass on some info.
    Came across your posts a couple weeks ago and found it very interesting. First because I have always liked this model of airhead, secondly because I have one of the missing 'Unicorns'.
    The elusive 91' R100 'Classic' came to me used in 2001 from a purchase through BMW dealer and original owner. My # reads... M6419165.
    I love riding mine and hope your rejuvenation project works well. Best wishes for many miles of fun riding.
    Sounds great, and you might also be interested in my Thread discussing the "R100 Trad", in many ways the predecessor to the R100 Classic https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...0-Mono-Classic

Quote Originally Posted by cbacco57 View Post
    I wanted to pass on some info. Came across your posts a couple weeks ago and found it very interesting.
    Thanks cbacco. Maybe post up a pic for us?
    I was looking forward to many miles of smiles, and I still am, but that'll be down the road a bit. The wife and I rode it several hundred miles after giving it a full service, and it ran like new. But the next morning, the garage floor showed what can happen when a bike sits unused for 23 years. Aside from the oil leakage, the guy I sold it to apparently was running some sort of "magic elixir" in the fuel which resulted in extremely thick, hard deposits all over the combustion chamber, valves, piston crown, and the unswept area at the top of the bore. This thread probably isn't the place to discuss that, so I'll post pics of the carnage in a new topic.

Stu

Sorry to hear about the bike, hope you can revive it soon.
    I will get to cleaning mine up (as she's much too disheveled for display) and post some pics. Maybe another thread is better. I'll either go direct message or start a new thread.
    Cheers!

I started a new thread, but feel free to PM me

Stu