• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Auto windshield function

lstayner

I recently noticed that the windshield on my 2018 RTW doesn't go down when I shut the bike off. Doesn't matter if the kickstand is up or down. I can't see that there is a setting that disables this function. It will go up and down manually just fine.

Any ideas?

Are you shutting off with lol switch, kickstand or ignition? Only shutting off by ignition will return screen to low/resting position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine goes down when I turn off the ignition. The kill switch just stops the engine. The same with the side stand.

Are you shutting off with lol switch, kickstand or ignition? Only shutting off by ignition will return screen to low/resting position.

Yeah, I meant kill switch, but auto correct didn’t want any violence in my post so changed it to laughter.

I recently noticed that the windshield on my 2018 RTW doesn't go down when I shut the bike off. Doesn't matter if the kickstand is up or down. I can't see that there is a setting that disables this function. It will go up and down manually just fine.

Any ideas?

Last week, the windshield on my 2015 RT stopped the automatic "retraction(?)" when I shut down the bike. In the OM, there is a reference made to a "pressure-sensitive finger guard" function that will keep the windshield from dropping if there is some resistance. This weekend I had the opportunity to spend some time on the problem. I started taking apart the the system and after each step, I would power up the bike to see if there were any changes. Once I removed the windshield carrier brackets, everything began to work as normal.

I realized that last year, when I noticed a squeak during operation of the windshield, I had applied a small amount of grease to the stainless steel pins that connect the windshield motor arms to the carrier brackets. The repair manual does not call for lubrication but since it was squeaking, why not add some lube :nono. I cleaned up the pins which seemed like they were sticky, put everything back together and everything is right with the world.

Lesson learned

Back