• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2002 K1200RS Fuel leak.

MrKB

I filled it up with premium no alcohol. Road 8 miles to my garage, placed it on the center stand. Next day I noticed a fuel smell and a three inch spot on the floor. Spot was fuel and some oil residue. Fuel was running down the right side of the engine, just above the oil fill plug, above the visible fuel lines and connections, I cleaned up the fuel with towels. Oil level was center of site window. After several days of no leaking, I moved it outside and it started and ran normally with no leaking, I rode it 75 miles, with no problems. When back, i still noticed a fuel smell, but couldn't see any leaks. I added more fuel on my last ride but did not fill it. I left it on the side stand overnight. The next morning, another gas/oil spot under the engine. Back on the center stand, oil level is higher than it was. I plan on draining the oil to see if it has fuel in it. Ideas? Could this be from the fuel rail still having pressure even with the engine off? Thanks

Ron,

Please don't forget to include the year of the bike in the title of your thread. I've added it for you.:thumb

BMW has had problems with the plastic fuel line quick disconnects. You need to make sure that they have been replaced with metal ones.

They also have had problems with the top of the pump cracking. This was handled by a recall if I remember correctly. Contact a dealer with your VIN# to see if your bike was one of the ones involved and if it has been upgraded.

:dance:dance:dance

Ive had this and fixed it with one other

The fuel disconnects right where you are seeing the problem go bad over time.. replace with metal quick diconnects. Its an age thing
paul

If I recall correcdtly

those parts are behind the plastic covers on the right side.. take it off and see if that is your problem
P

They also have had problems with the top of the pump cracking. This was handled by a recall if I remember correctly. Contact a dealer with your VIN# to see if your bike was one of the ones involved and if it has been upgraded.

:dance:dance:dance

The fuel pump flange recall was on the newer bikes. The K1200RS fuel pump is a different setup.

Here's what the metal fuel line quick disconnects look like.
Also check the big plastic ring above the QDs, that's where the fuel pump is located.

Quick Disconnects.jpg

I also had to change the sending unit gasket on both of our bikes due to leaking gas.
It's circled in red.
This one is not a common problem but I would look at that area.

Sending unit.JPG

My money is on the quick-connects.
FWIW, there are aftermarket replacements for these, but BMW themselves have upgraded as well. Replacements for the male side of the two-piece connectors are no longer plastic.

Thanks for all the replies, it helps to hear from those that have experienced leaks in this area. I'm going to pull the right side panel, and look at the couplings and big plastic ring above the QDs. I did drain the oil, I plan on testing it for gasoline. Will keep you posted. Ron

It may be too late but try to keep the gas cleaned off of the engine cases.
It will stain the silver paint yellow.

Stains

So far I don't see any. I found the leak early, wiped off the gas, and kept paper towels at the leak to soak up the fuel. Thanks for the tip.

Back