Thread: 1994 r80rt

1994 r80rt

I recently purchased this bike. It is Euro spec to include a speedo that reads in KPH. It was originally purchased in Germany and brought over to the states by the previous owner.

I have all of the original documentation, in German of course. This bike has 31,000 kilometers, very low for this model/year. I have been browsing ASC Cycle and another well known on-line site for replacement parts, seems I can't locate by this model year. I'm assuming this must be due to this model not being exported to the US in 1994?

Do you all think that I will have problems finding replacement parts? Where does one suggest I find parts for this bike? All I want for now are basic tune-up parts.

But other things will certainly follow. I definitely need a taller windscreen. I have way too much wind noise with this screen. I'm a brand new airhead owner, but am a seasoned wrench. Thanks in advance.
    Frank Smith
    New Market AL
    2016 R1200GSA
    1994 R80RT

Windscreen

Clearview company makes a direct replacement windshield for the stock RT shield. They make different heights and also tint. Plus you can have a vent installed.
    https://www.clearviewshields.com/mot...0rt-1981-1995/

As for tune up parts and such, a bit of detective work will help you to cross over to parts available in the US for the Euro bike.

Start with Mark Huggett BMW. They list the bike you are asking about as well as USA bikes. You can look up part numbers for your bike on the microfiche at their site and then go to the USA site for the Older R80RTs. There may not be much of a difference in parts for 1985 to 1994 between the bikes.

I hope this helps. St.

Thanks Steven. I will look into Clearview for a higher windshield. Also will look into your suggestion on replacement parts. So far, when I browse a parts store's website and search for my model, it does not appear. I was also thinking that maybe Ted Porter's shop in CA may have the parts I'm looking for. I font think there should be much difference in part numbers either. Hopefully BMW locked in the configuration and simply ran it for several years.
    Frank Smith
    New Market AL
    2016 R1200GSA
    1994 R80RT

Try searching by VIN.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Nick Kennedy
    If you do get a new Clearview windscreen, go for the vent option. More $ but its very nice to have. I have one and like it.

You are going to have almost zero problems finding parts.

The only parts that could be different could be carburetor jets.

You of course don't need to find parts for things you don't have ... such as the air injection system.

Besides these things (and of course your speedometer), it's the same bike.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    You are going to have almost zero problems finding parts.

The only parts that could be different could be carburetor jets.

You of course don't need to find parts for things you don't have ... such as the air injection system.

Besides these things (and of course your speedometer), it's the same bike.
    Kent,
    When you say it's the same bike, what are you comparing it to, the the R100RT? It was exported to the US in '94.
    Frank Smith
    New Market AL
    2016 R1200GSA
    1994 R80RT

It’s “tune-up” engine & carb bits will likely be the same as those of the mono-shock R80 & R80RT that were brought to the U.S. from ‘85-‘87. All the rest is the same as the mono-shock R100RT that was sold here through 1995. So parts are available—which is not to say that the parts counter staff at your closest roundel-equipped-unit-mover/BMW dealer will be particularly interested or helpful in meeting your bike’s parts needs. The ABC club is a must-do for you.

Quote Originally Posted by khittner View Post
    ISo parts are available—which is not to say that the parts counter staff at your closest roundel-equipped-unit-mover/BMW dealer will be particularly interested or helpful in meeting your bike’s parts needs.
    Which means you need a better dealer - a ride, an email or phone call away.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Which means you need a better dealer - a ride, an email or phone call away.
    Thanks for the advice. I went to MAX BMW website. They have a VIN search tool that pulls up ALL parts data for my exact bike. And my VIN is not US.
    Frank Smith
    New Market AL
    2016 R1200GSA
    1994 R80RT

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    Kent,
    When you say it's the same bike, what are you comparing it to, the the R100RT? It was exported to the US in '94.
    Different cylinder barrels and pistons, different rear drive ratio, different carb jets = only differences between your bike and a same year R100RT. There’s no rocket science here.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S