• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1100 RT / rear brake rotor

RICH7196

after riding i put hand on rear rotor.. was extremely hot to touch.. cooled down after a few min.. anything to be concerned about ? thank you. had the rear caliper rebuilt recently with new brake pads, FYI

after riding i put hand on rear rotor.. was extremely hot to touch.. cooled down after a few min.. anything to be concerned about ? thank you. had the rear caliper rebuilt recently with new brake pads, FYI

I wouldn’t necessarily assume that anything is wrong. Rotors get hot when braking due to friction and can become extremely hot to the touch depending on how how aggressively you are braking. Obviously prior to touching the brake rotor, you were riding and had to come to a complete stop to even notice how hot the rotor was. If your concern is that the brake rotor is hanging up and your pads may be dragging, you may want to put your bike on the center stand while in neutral and try spinning the rear wheel. Do you hear/feel the pad dragging against the rotor? That’s the easiest way I know to determine if your rotor is hanging up.

For what it’s worth, I recently replaced my brake pads after installing a set of Spiegler brake hoses and I noticed that my pads were touching just ever so slightly. Just enough where I could hear them touching the rotor as I moved my bike around the garage. Not enough to cause any significant resistance. I figured they would become fully seated after a few miles and the sound would go eventually go away. That’s exactly what happened and now they don’t touch the rotors at all, unless braking obviously.

That’s my .02 cents worth. Hope that gives you some food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Pads will always rub a little. As long as you can turn the wheel relatively easily, with rear wheel off the ground on center stand, and brakes unloaded, you're generally good to go. And yes, that will cause heating of the disc. If the force required to turn the wheel is anything other than "light" (two fingers on the mag spoke to pull the wheel to rotate), then you may have an issue.

If you didn't do the caliper yourself and it was done by a shop. Check to see if there is free play in the link from the rear brake pedal to it's m/c.. I made a newbie mistake after i bought my R1100 and adjusted the rear brake travel, seems I reduced the play to the point on my first ride I destroyed the caliper and rotor from the heat of it dragging.

Back