• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I miss the "old style" of education.

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Seems like someone else does as well....

It seems (to me) that education has deleted some of the "life" training that comes in handy later in life such as Shop and Home Economics. It seems that it has become a "machine" in which students pass through on their way to the new "high school"- known as college.

[video]https://www.cbs8.com/video/news/local/san-diego-valedictorian-graduation-speech/509-81140512-2d4c-4345-8f68-9f14e2e4b3d5[/video]

If you have a skill, try to pass it along. If you have a skill, passing it along to "fresh eyes" and learn something yourself.

Not everyone can work from home on their laptop :)

OM

One good thing, the school still had a valedictorian.

A local school system ended that.....but of course they still have the athlete of the year.

I just read a-bit about the K-12 system, where the kids do not even need to go to school. It is public school, taught on-line at home! Somehow this does not seem like a good thing to me. Earning a diploma, and being mailed one after 12 years of ??, are IMO worlds apart.

Last edited:
I miss the "old style" of just about everything.

Certainly I preferred the old style of the MSF program with Instructors instead of the PC title "Rider Coaches" with real expectations and no tours of a dealership's fingerless glove and half-helmet clothing line. I mean back when it was possible to flunk the course. As for public education that is getting dangerously close to arguing politics so I'll skip that topic all together.

Certainly I preferred the old style of the MSF program with Instructors instead of the PC title "Rider Coaches" with real expectations and no tours of a dealership's fingerless glove and half-helmet clothing line. I mean back when it was possible to flunk the course.

Back in the day I had the pleasure of riding a decade plus with a co-worker who suffered the timing of this debacle. I actually rode his used bike purchase home for him, as he completed the original program himself, as a new rider.
This fellow was a stickler for standards and requirements as are many in aviation related occupations; and he became a very competent motorcyclist himself, and progressed into the MSF Instructor ranks a few years before the course transition.
The revised outline for the "Rider Coach" program was a thorn in his side until he eventually called it quits in disgust.
He always stated something like...
some people are not ready and don't possess the awareness for timely decision making or the common sense necessary for a safe ride...
but we coach them to best of our ability before their accident... instead of sending they away unhappy.

"travel'n" John

The MSF "Rider Coach " program still contains a 5 part student riding evaluation that must be successfully accomplished before a course completion card is issued. There is no assurance of a completion certificate being issued , at least in NY State, just because you were able to remain breathing during the entire course. The evaluation is completely objective, not subjective.

At the beginning of my classes I make sure the students are aware that they did NOT buy a license, they bought instruction, help, practice time and advice. It is up to them to demonstrate basic proficiency in order to EARN a motorcycle endorsement to their license. There is no prohibition, again in NY State, against failing students who do not meet standards. Those who do not pass the initial evaluation are entitled to a free second chance.

For the past 22 years I have passed those who qualified and did not pass those who haven't met the minimum standards. The first day I am told to pass someone just because their check cleared will be the last day I teach, no matter what the title.

Friedle
MSF 27713

Back