Thread: Clutch lever replacement - 2016 R1200gsa

Clutch lever replacement - 2016 R1200gsa

I replaced my clutch lever with a non-OEM part and now I need to be in Neutral for starting the engine as well as changing the riding Mode regardless if I pull the clutch lever in or not. Has anyone experienced this or know the cause and correction?

You need to look at how the OEM lever contacted the clutch switch and how the after market lever contacts it differently. The new lever is failing to activate the clutch switch. The devil, as always, is in the details.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    You need to look at how the OEM lever contacted the clutch switch and how the after market lever contacts it differently. The new lever is failing to activate the clutch switch. The devil, as always, is in the details.
    Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! Let us know what you find out..it might help someone else down the line. BTW...who was the manufacturer of the clutch lever? Maybe someone has used this part and we might be able to find info elsewhere on the forum.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I bought a cheap set of Shorty Chinese Levers and had a similar/same problem.

I measured the difference between the Stock Levers Switch Actuation Tabs and the Shorty lever tabs, the Shorty Lever Tab was about .005 less than stock.
    I added a piece of Mylar Tape to the tab and it has worked fine for 8,000 miles including a run up the Dalton to Prudhoe Bay. Still working here in Whittier and i expect it to work the rest of the way home. JSNS
    The only dumb question is the unasked question - Anonymous

Eat every Ham Sandwich like it is your last Ham Sandwich! - Anonymous