Thread: 1983 r80 g/s

1983 r80 g/s

I was going through a reseal last night of the headers and, when I took the rocker arms off, the rocker arm shafts (both of them) fell out. Can anyone tell me the correct orientation to put them back in (where the dimples should go and which end is up)?

When I start the bike after the install, there was a large amount of oil that started to leak out of the rocker arms, so I'm assuming that I put it in incorrectly. There is a dimple on the top which is facing forward. Is this correct and is there anything I can do to limit the amount oil that's coming out as it seems excessive (are there any adjustments?).

Pictures here:

https://66.media.tumblr.com/e35aeac6...rlqs8z_500.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/90e8c984...rlqs8z_500.jpg

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I can't help other than this

Good luck.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Thanks

Yup, definitely helpful to get the pics on there. Thank you.

I just started it up with both valve covers off and it's dripping oil at the same pace on both sides. Is this normal? Does someone know what oil leakage should look like when both valve covers are off?

Anton has some discussion of the orientation of the rocker blocks...see the bottom of this page:

http://www.largiader.com/tech/rockers/

He says the plug faces upward and any dimples should be on top and face outward.

As for the amount of oil, it's not a great deal. Enough to get messy after a period of time. If you remember how much oil was inside the valve cover when you took them off, that's a sense of how much oil comes out. It immediately drains back to the sump.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thanks

Ahh, ok. So there is a draining mechanism. I was worried that it was leaking too much, but maybe it's only because the heads are off?

Hard to know what you mean by "too much". Oil is forced around the upper cylinder head studs out to the rockers. After circulating in the valve area, it drains back into the sump through passageways in the bottom of the head. That's why it's important to install everything correctly.

Typically after full assembly, the engine is started with valve covers off. Evidence that oil is migrating to the valves should be visible after a few seconds. If no oil is visible after say 30-45 seconds, something is wrong and should be investigated.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!