Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: KTM passes Harley in sales

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoalpha View Post
    In all fairness though with regard to styling, I find many of the bikes made today to be somewhat polarizing whether it be Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, KTM, etc. So in reality, I see this new edgy styling as being more of an industry styling trend and not exclusively KTM design.
    Agreed.

Not directed at you personally, Tangoalpha, but many riders of a certain vintage find today's designs off-putting or not as pleasing to the eye as older designs. I know that I prefer a more organic and flowing design.
    Last edited by BC1100S; 06-21-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Agreed.

Not directed at you personally, Tangoalpha, but many riders of a certain vintage find today's designs off-putting or not as pleasing to the eye as older designs. I know that I prefer a more organic and flowing design.
    “Riders of a certain vintage” LOL! That’s a very polite way of saying that I’m old, but I like your phraseology much better! Yes, this Sept will mark my 50th Bday and you’d be correct my vintage sensibilities have me yearning for more traditional/classic offerings. I do love the styling of my R1150RT which has more rounded, sculpted and in my opinion, sexier lines than many of the bikes today.

Yup. It’s the new, bold and youthful generation of riders that are dictating the current direction in motorcycle styling.
    Older riders like myself are no longer the target audience for these manufacturers. Perhaps one of the few exceptions would be Harley-Davidson who is also chasing that younger buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Der Bimmer ist wunderbar."

Tango Alpha
    2002 R1150RT

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoalpha View Post
    ..... you’d be correct my vintage sensibilities have me yearning for more traditional/classic offerings. I do love the styling of my R1150RT which has more rounded, sculpted and in my opinion, sexier lines than many of the bikes today.
    I'm of the same mind.

And we all know the best looking bike BMW ever made was the R1100S.

I can't think that much of Harley's issues is their reliance on the mid life crisis demographic. Those riders are buying a lifestyle accessory and for their purposes a nice, low mileage used Harley is as good as a new bike. Unfortunately for Harley, there seems to be an enormous supply of used Harleys.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Huh? 50th b'day is old? Did I read that? Oh my! Then what about us with kids that age? What does that make us? Fossils?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I'm of the same mind.

And we all know the best looking bike BMW ever made was the R1100S.
    Ya know....you’re not wrong about that. The R1100S is a sexy looking bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tango Alpha
    2002 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Huh? 50th b'day is old? Did I read that? Oh my! Then what about us with kids that age? What does that make us? Fossils?
    That’s funny! You’re not alone friend. I have an 11 year old son and a 15 year old daughter. I consider myself an adventurous and youthful guy and most days I don’t “feel old”. That is until I look in the mirror and see all that grey hair. How did I get to be 50 so quickly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tango Alpha
    2002 R1150RT

Agreed.

As far as design goes, what's with the high rear fender/big gap [between tire & fender] of so many? And why do so many look like they are going downhill? Exhaust sicking up & the darn saddlebags/panniers sitting crooked?

Generational differences I suppose?
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

My next bike could very possibly be a 1290 Super Duke with hard panniers... REALLY like the looks, sound,, and features it has. It would be the weekend blaster!
    Big John in Arkansas
    2014 K1600 GTL
    2007 R1200GS Adventure (Sold)
    MOA# 200130