• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Probably a dumb oil question

brownie0486

Is it acceptable to use Walmart Castrol GTX synthetic 20-50 in my camhead 2012?

What other oils would be acceptable in the bike I can buy inexpensively at Walmart? My mechanic puts 20-50 weight in my bike as I live in the extreme heat of the Az. desert. I understand some think that's not correct, but he assures me it's fine for my riding conditions.

Thoughts from the learned members on this please.

Thanks

What does your manual say? Specifically, what does it say about the API grade? Older notations were SF, SG, etc., but I believe it's been update to say JSAO MA, etc.

1) The only "dumb question" is the one that isn't asked. For every person who asks a question, there are many more who also wondering but won't expose themselves to the rest.

2) It doesn't really matter who your local retailer is; as long as the packaging is genuine factory original, you're getting what it says.

3) I honestly don't know the specific requirements for your engine (should be in the owners manual), but Castrol GTX is generally Good Stuff. People will debate over whether "my oil is better than your oil", and there are threads in this forum where they do exactly that; check them out and see. And for summer in AZ, 20-50 synth sounds fine to me; I don't believe that first spec not being a 5, 10, or 15 will make a darned bit of difference.

4) Bikes with "wet" clutches will be much more finicky about what oil is in there; this doesn't apply to a 2012 boxer.

FWIW, i use Mobil 1, 15w50 generally bought from Amazon.com...sometimes O'Reilly's...

GTX is good oil, go for it...:thumb

BTW, i highly recommend HiFlow Filtro HF164 filters....

What does your manual say? Specifically, what does it say about the API grade? Older notations were SF, SG, etc., but I believe it's been update to say JSAO MA, etc.

My manual gives 5-6 different weights and those letters but that's not in front of me at the moment. Nothing listed in 20-50 however.

Thanks for the rest of the replies.

Is it acceptable to use Walmart Castrol GTX synthetic 20-50 in my camhead 2012?

What other oils would be acceptable in the bike I can buy inexpensively at Walmart? My mechanic puts 20-50 weight in my bike as I live in the extreme heat of the Az. desert. I understand some think that's not correct, but he assures me it's fine for my riding conditions.

Thoughts from the learned members on this please.

Thanks

I live in AZ too. I use Mobil 1 15w-50 or their 20w-50 vtwin oil. Both work great. I use a mahle or Mann oil filter, which is oem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I live in AZ too. I use Mobil 1 15w-50 or their 20w-50 vtwin oil. Both work great. I use a mahle or Mann oil filter, which is oem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm all-in with Ponch here. I have used both of these brands and now I'm running Motorex 15W-50. Any name-brand in the correct weight as specified in your owner's manual will work. I use Mahle but generally the same goes for filters. I personally would never use any sort of "high flow" or "performance" filters. Filters are filters. The system works with what the OEM provides and having less restrictive flow really doesn't do anything other than let larger particle through. Physics is immutable in this regard: high flow = less filtering. You can't have one without the other. Me? I choose a filter that works.

If you're concerned about heat, you use synthetic motor oil.

Maximum heat occurs at maximum speed.

I you're going to use nonsynthetic oil, stay for sure to the specified change intervals.

Back