• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What do you do with your helmet?

aviator

Hooligan
This is my first MOA, so pardon the silly Q.
When you ride up and park what do you do with your helmet? Leave it on your bike? My daughter is going to be with me, and two helmets?
Or does one walk aroud with ot. That would be not only painful but an accident waiting to happen.

Hang them on your mirrors, turn signals or foot pegs depending on what your riding.

Ask the people when you sign in where to park at, usually next to your tent. If you park inside the security gate[fence] put your helmets in your tent or in a trunk or saddle bag. Outside the fence area take it with you. Have a good time.

My wife and I wear modular helmets and I carry a better bicycle chain lock to lock the helmets to the passenger grab bar if we leave the helmets on the bike for any length of time. Or we stuff them in the panniers on my RT if they are empty.

My wife and I wear modular helmets and I carry a better bicycle chain lock to lock the helmets to the passenger grab bar if we leave the helmets on the bike for any length of time. Or we stuff them in the panniers on my RT if they are empty.

Good practice at the Stop and Rob. Not needed at the rally grounds.

Thanks for ll the replies.
Yes, having never been there before, was worried and had no idea and it is a fairly new and shiny Schuberth.
I guess I will bring a small deterrent like described above. Thanks again.

Good practice at the Stop and Rob. Not needed at the rally grounds.

Hey, I get it, but if the OP wants to secure his helmet to ease his mind who am I to criticize.

I leave my helmet unattended often, more often than I should. If leaving the bike for more than a few minutes I will generally secure it. I just run a HJC, but add the headset and it gets to be a $450 loss if it disappears, plus the hassle of the remainder of the trip without a helmet and intecom or finding a replacement so it is more than just the expense involved.

61SJfP9iq4L._SY679_.jpg

WHEN I'm concerned about an area that I'm parking the bike in.....

I always keep one of these in my bike jacket pocket. Plenty of cable to run it through one sleeve of the jacket, through the helmet and through the handlebars. Helmet stays on the mirror, jacket slung over shield and dash to cover my other goodies. It's not super secure but it's enough to keep most people honest.

Many, I have never worried about our gear at a National.
This year I may lock our helmets or put a bike cover on.
Like you we will use the day parking area.
We carry a thin cable with a loop on each each end small lock.
This keeps the lazy thief away :)
If you feel the need, you could vet a ca .e and lock at Walmzrt.

I was at one of the nationals, I think the one in Lima, Oh. . I was wondering around looking at all the bikes and riders; just having a big time. Seen a couple get on their bike; something did'nt seem right. I took one step toward them and yelled STOP as loud as I could and waving my arms. I heard a loud bang as the bike skidded to a violent stop. The rider had attached a lock to the front wheel; via a disc brake lock. He totally destroyed his front fender, maybe more damage. He did'nt need to lock his bike; no more than he needed to lock up his helmet. Sad.:banghead

My wife and I are going to lock our helmets. With the intercoms they are about $1k each. That also goes for our Helite vests. Why take the risks when it only takes a few seconds to run a cable through them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is a pet peeve of mine....my $25,000 BMW does not have a helmet lock....my 40 year Japanese bikes have helmet locks. Tell me....who's bright idea was it to get rid of helmet locks???

This is a pet peeve of mine....my $25,000 BMW does not have a helmet lock....my 40 year Japanese bikes have helmet locks. Tell me....who's bright idea was it to get rid of helmet locks???

My guess is that the helmet locks on the Japanese bikes are rather generic and “D” ring based. Most BMW riders I see are wearing helmets with different fastening systems.
OM

Helmet on the mirror........

Doesn't resting the helmet on the edge of the mirror locally compress the expanded foam liner and tend to degrade the structural performance of this critical safety equipment?

If needed, strap / cable your helmet to the seat/frame, rear rack or other luggage.

Doesn't resting the helmet on the edge of the mirror locally compress the expanded foam liner and tend to degrade the structural performance of this critical safety equipment?

If needed, strap / cable your helmet to the seat/frame, rear rack or other luggage.

I always hang my full-face Arai from the right side rider foot peg, by the chin bar. I'm sure this does not in any way damage the helmet.

I always hang my full-face Arai from the right side rider foot peg, by the chin bar. I'm sure this does not in any way damage the helmet.
Ever find something that found its way onto your peg.....on your chin? :dog

OM

It's not a wide open location as far as wandering pirates , heck, my key is prob still in ignition...for those who remember what keys are:scratch

Do what makes you comfortable, it kind of depends on how life has treated you before.
My helmet often is on top of bars and gauge cluster and jacket over that if not in SketchyTown

Back