• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A basic oil question (yes, I said that!)

beemermyke

After two oil changes using the standard BMW oil, I started ordering servicing kits from Beemerboneyard for my 2016 GSA. I've used the Liquid Moly Racing Synth 4T 5W-40 oil that you can get with these kits for probably the last three oil changes. I've learned to live with the somewhat noisy valves (yes, I had them checked at the dealer recently so I know they're in spec).

My question is this: Has anyone used a synthetic oil that noticeably quieted the top end (er... side end) on your Wethead? Any recommendations out there? Coming up on my 24,000 mile service and was considering going to a different brand of oil to see if things will quiet down a bit.

Disclaimer: I don't own a Wethead...

But every one I've ever heard running makes a very slight mechanical clatter (I think it's the cam drive chain?) as compared to my Camhead that sounds like a sewing machine. I don't think oil is going to change that. Further, I read that the new ShiftCam engine has a different kind of chain that it go back to that "sewing machine" sound.

I’ve been using the rebranded shell for the last 2 changes, next change going to Rotella T6 5-40 meets Bmw specs and a lot less expensive
Jim

I used Motul "7100" 5W-40 full synthetic, ester type. It meets all BMW specs. It's red in color. I had to double check to make sure it was motor oil! I got it from Amazon.

Harry

oil

In todays world with thinner wt oils you'll hear more noise. The heavier oils while they may quiet an engine do not lubricate as well or as soon on startup. I'd take a good 5-40 ester any day and allow its intrinsic properties to do the work and live with the noise. With the tighter clearances you really do need a thinner oil. They will let more valve noise thru.

In Voni's 1,100,000 miles and my meager 950,000 miles I always preached, and still do, meet the BMW specs and you will be just fine. Try the Internet of Forum favorites, maybe not so much, unless the forum wisdom also meets specs.

Rotella is evidently not recognized as meeting JASO standards as their label proclaims.

to:mike <mike.spurgin@gmail.com>

cc:Hidan Sigenori <hidan@jalos.or.jp>,

Yamazaki <yamazaki@jalos.or.jp>

date:May 7, 2019, 11:10 PM

subject:Re: shell Rotella MA rating verificationmailed-by:jalos.or.jp

Dear Mr. Mike Spurgin,

Please refer to the Implementation Manual on our web-site ---

Motorcycle Four Cycle Gasoline Engine Oil

(*Please see page 1 “NOTICE” and page 11 – 4.8 “Quality Assurance”.)

As far as we recognize now, the product you have mentioned is not listed, "Shell Rotella or it's directives", on our on-file list.

Based on the description in our implementation manual, this is all we can tell you at this time. We have no concern in the oils that are not in our on-file certification list.

We would advise you to ask the oil manufacturer.

Best regards,

----------------------------------

Yuka Toda (Ms.)

BUSINESS DEPARTMENT

JALOS-Japan Lubricating Oil Society
2-16-1 Hinode, Funabasi-shi
Chiba 273-0015, Japan
Fax: +81-47-431-9579
e-mail: toda@jalos.or.jp

Both my brother and I find that the LiquiMoly oil makes our '18 GSA's shift better vs the BMW oil when using the Shift Assisit Pro. It is just our observation so YMMV...

Back