• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Canvas side bags for my 2003 K1200GT

jrmull

Just some pictures and info on a water bottle holder and some small side bags I am trying out. The panniers are ok, but I like riding without them. Just enough to hold a book, paperwork or something for short trips.

Ebay $16 for the bags, they straddle both sides, under the seat and a zip tie attaches the bottom to the rear foot peg. I put a simple white tie zip on the zipper tab for easier grab. They might be too far forward so I will see if it gets in the way of my heels. Being attached to the foot peg, they are out of the way from the tire and muffler.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If others have other solutions, drop me a note.

Attachments

• waterbottleS.jpg
    waterbottleS.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 102
  • waterleftsideS.jpg
    waterleftsideS.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 99
  • watersideviewS.jpg
    watersideviewS.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 102
It looks to be awful close to your exhaust. Can't imagine that would be good.

:dance:dance:dance

I rode it around today and didn't have a heat problem yet. There is the rear foot peg and the support brackets provide a gap from the muffler. Works for many errands / excuses to get out journeys.

I will keep looking for a better setup though. Something that handles a tennis racket and a few carry items. Strapping an equipment bag to the seat with bungie cords work for a racket and a basketball. The luggage rack on the end is curved and slides around like crazy. There has to be a better, flatter attachment somewhere.

The hard shell panniers don't fit either item plus I keep banging them on the fence gate and picnic table. I get through the opening and them whap the back end. Yeah, I know skills issue.

Suggestions welcome.

BMW sells (sold?) a tail bag that locks onto the otherwise useless rear rack. It's fabric, and locks securely in place.
It won't hold a tennis racket, but may secure it with the handle sticking out. The basketball will be a challenge, but possible.

No surprise that the bag is pricey from BMW, but used ones can be found.

I appreciate the statement of a "useless rear rack". It sure is difficult to anchor a bag on it and stay put. For art work, the rear rack is really nice. I don't want to offend the BMW designers being new to this bike. I just haven't figured out how to use it well. I looking for ideas other guys have tried. I will look for a BMW tail bag.

I was thinking of putting a rubber tool mat (from a tool box) on it for grip. Not working well yet. Also not easy to hook bungie cords on it either. At least my hooks are plastic instead of metal so it doesn't scratch things. I end up using long ones and wrapping it around a couple times fro the equipment bag. Looks like hell but better than a milk crate.

Still available fr9m BMW is a rear luggage rack add-on that was used to support the original BMW softcase for the RS/GT. The complete bag kit is NLA, but the plate, carrier, and lock are still available. See https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...41-BMW-K_1200_GT_01_0548,0558_&diagId=46_0411

I don’t run a lock cylinder in mine as I find it easier to just remove the plate and whatever is strapped to it when overnighting the bike. A soft case, any softcase, attaches easily and well to the plate.

Best,
DG

I'm a new member of bmwmoa and so I'm perusing threads pertinent to my '04 K1200GT and I came across this one. My bike came to me (from its first owner, back in 2006) with the BMW soft tailbag. It fits directly onto the stylish-but-of-limited-practical-use factory rack and has a locking cylinder. I rarely use the lock because, like GTRider, I just snap off the tailbag when I'm leaving the bike for anything more than a lunch stop. It looks very much like the soft bag in the link on GTRider's post but it doesn't need the luggage rack add-on carrier plate.

My bike was also thoughtfully provisioned by its original owner with BMW's tank bag (which i think they referred to as a "tank rucksack.") These, too, are NLA and used ones aren't easy to find. Mine is hanging in there, 15 years later. It's my go-to stowage for things like you mentioned, less the tennis racket or basketball.

And yeah, I have to agree that your soft pannier looks dangerously close to the muffler. Unless it has a stiff bottom liner which wasn't apparent in your photos, seems to me it could easily sag down below the passenger peg, making it more than "close" to the muffler. Nasty melted nylon isn't fun to remove from other surfaces. DAMHIKT.

~ Corey

Back