Thread: Warming up for oil change

Warming up for oil change

I've always changed oil after riding the bike so that oil is warmed up. I was wondering what the service shops do. A bike comes in for service, sits for a day or two then it is its turn for service and oil change. Does the service tech ride the bike to get it warm, or do they just start it up and let it run for a while in the shop at idle until it reaches normal operating temperature?

I just change it cold. The only difference is that the oil comes out quicker if warm.
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 96 K1100RS (caretaker), 09 K1300s

In my shop, and when I was at a dealership, the bikes get ridden to warm them up if they are cold. Ideally the bike is ridden in by the customer and can go straight onto the lift.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    I just change it cold. The only difference is that the oil comes out quicker if warm.
    I've always felt that the quicker "warmer" it comes out, the more contaminants that come with it. And a more thorough drain of the old oil.

Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I've always felt that the quicker "warmer" it comes out, the more contaminants that come with it. And a more thorough drain of the old oil.

Am I wrong?
    That's what I thought as well. I'm mostly asking because the R1200RT in this case is part of a sidecar rig, and it's a little bit of a challenge to get it in and out of the garage where I would change the oil. I think I'm going to take it out, ride it to warm it up, then change the oil out on the street at a spot where I can get it nice and level.