• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

TomTom 550 Question

LongRider2

I am thinking about purchasing a TomTom 550. I currently have a Garmin 660 that is SO DIFFICULT to see in sunlight . . .really annoying. Does anyone have insights regarding screen viewing of the 550 compared to this Garmin (or really, I just want to know if you can see the dang screen!). Is it brighter for daylight viewing?

Thanks so much!!

I have a 660 and can see it fine in Sun light. That is without sunglasses though. So not to ask a dumb question but are you sure you have the brightness turned to 100%?

I am thinking about purchasing a TomTom 550. I currently have a Garmin 660 that is SO DIFFICULT to see in sunlight . . .really annoying. Does anyone have insights regarding screen viewing of the 550 compared to this Garmin (or really, I just want to know if you can see the dang screen!). Is it brighter for daylight viewing?

Thanks so much!!

I have the BMW Nav 6 made by Garmin. It is hard to see in direct sunlight even with my dark visor down. Have you tried a hood or visor? Here’s a link:
https://boxer2valve.com/motorcycle/21070202.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 660 and can see it fine in Sun light. That is without sunglasses though. So not to ask a dumb question but are you sure you have the brightness turned to 100%?

Yes, the brightness is 100%. I have had the unit for a number of years and have not replaced it due to the high initial cost. I also wear sunglasses, but they are not polarized so they should be compatible wit the screen.

I have the 550 and find the brightness in sunlight to be good even with sunglasses. They do offer a sunshade for the 550 as well. I do recommend getting screen saver shields though as the lens does scratch easily in my opinion.

Yes, the brightness is 100%. I have had the unit for a number of years and have not replaced it due to the high initial cost. I also wear sunglasses, but they are not polarized so they should be compatible wit the screen.

Like Greg, my 660, which I've had for a number of years is very difficult to see, with the brightness at 100%, a sunshade and no sunglasses. My Helite neon vest may be part of the problem, reflecting onto the unit.

I have just picked up a Garmin 595 and have yet to install and use it to determine if it's brightness is any better than my 660. Garmin currently has a 33% discount on that unit.

I made the change as the last two times I downloaded the upgraded maps, they wouldn't load with the latest version of Garmin Express. Garmin tech help had no solutions. I thought the problem might have might have been the data card so I replaced it and again attempted to do the upgrade. Still no success. Since I had music on the original card, I switch it back into the unit and in doing so, the uploads were successfully installed. :thumb

Back