• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding with rain and lightning

I'm not sure this passes the smell test.

I feel sad for the family, and the bike rider. But I'm not sure how a non-conductive helmet attracted lightning.

But I'm not sure how a non-conductive helmet attracted lightning.

The helmet had nothing to do with this. You really imagine a non-conductive helmet would protect against lightning? Motorcyclists are killed every year while riding by lightning strikes.

It is likely the lightning strike killed him instantly.

Harry

RIP Rider...

This happens more often than most people realize. Florida is pretty much at the top of most people hit/killed by lightning every year.
It is especially scary when you're out in open water on a boat... DAMHIK...:uhoh
Seen plenty of lightning in Florida Bay and the Keys when I was a charter captain... No place to hide anywhere...

Neither the reporter, nor the investigating police, claimed that the motorcyclist’s helmet “attracted” the lightning strike that prompted the accident.

Just as an aside, the helmet is no less conductive than the air the lightening bolt passed through on its way toward the ground.

The rider’s helmet:

b4817f94-Capture.png

The strike was observed by a Highway Patrol Trooper who said the rider left the roadway and died at the scene. It is unclear whether it was the lightening strike that killed the rider or if he died as a result of injuries sustained in the subsequent crash.

I know a person who was hit in the helmet by lightening in Washington State. He survived and managed to keep his Wing upright. He lost some hearing and he belives he lost some cognitive capabilities (he is an MD and has a PhD in physics). In his case he may have been saved by the audio cable that ran from his helmet to a plug-in on the bike. The cable was fried as were all the electronics of the bike.

30 plus years ago there was a news story that made its way around the motorcycle industry. A guy was wearing a Hein Gericke jacket and was struck by lighting. First responders accredited his metalized Thinsulate jacket liner to saving his life.. They said it acted like a Faraday Cage and made the current flow around his body. I was always a bit skeptical, because the outside of the liner, while reflective, is sort of like one of those space saver blankets, it looks metal, but is really just chrome Mylar. My guess was it was good press and no one questioned it. IIRC his son was a passenger and was able to reach around and bring the bike to a stop, which seems almost as incredible as a lightening strike.

Maybe someone needs to invent a lightning rod for a motorcycle. Lol.

I had a lightning suppressor added to my previous house's wiring after we had lighting strike that came in on a phone wire. When I asked how good the protection was, the electrician said "A lightning bolt jumps three miles to get here. There's really nothing I can do to prevent damage if it hits your house".

Back