• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Thinking about highway pegs

motor10

I have Wunderlich Engine Guards on my 2018 RT. I use it for commuting from time to time and because of the long stretches of highway was thinking about getting some highway pegs. What manufacture of highway pegs do you guys recommend or DON'T recommend and why. Also, how comfortable are they? I'm 5'8" tall with a 30" inseam. If I had highway pegs would I be able to comfortably reach them? Any info would be appreciated.

Jay

Ilium - if you can afford them

I have Wunderlich Engine Guards on my 2018 RT. I use it for commuting from time to time and because of the long stretches of highway was thinking about getting some highway pegs. What manufacture of highway pegs do you guys recommend or DON'T recommend and why. Also, how comfortable are they? I'm 5'8" tall with a 30" inseam. If I had highway pegs would I be able to comfortably reach them? Any info would be appreciated.

Jay

Ilium Works products have all greatly impressed me with their design, fit, finish, and support. But they are NOT cheap.

http://www.iliumworks.com/

Highway pegs on the RT can be hard to use because you end up mounting them outside the engine cylinders so it can be a groin stretch to reach them. I usually will only use one of them at a time.

Enjoy!
Ski

I normally ride in an upright position: I call it the sit up and beg position. When I try to use highway pegs in what I call the "Pap Smear" position common to cruiser bikes my spine arches a little bit and I get lower back pain within two or three miles. Test ride before you invest big bucks.

I normally ride in an upright position: I call it the sit up and beg position. When I try to use highway pegs in what I call the "Pap Smear" position common to cruiser bikes my spine arches a little bit and I get lower back pain within two or three miles. Test ride before you invest big bucks.

I'm not sure where I can test ride the pegs but you are right I need to try them out before spending the money because they aint cheap.

I put a set of cheap ones on my Illium bars. I think you will find that you will use them for a couple of minutes at a time is all. They do allow you to throw a leg up and change the seating position. Riding for a long distance with your feet up isn't real comfortable after 3 -4 minutes.

Ilium!

On my 2016 R1200RT, I have the Ilium Works front engine guards with their highway pegs. I am 5’8”, and I love the pegs. They afford me the opportunity to ride with my legs outstretched which is great on long rides. I also have my Clearwater Darla’s mounted on the front engine guards. I couldn’t be happier with these added enhancements. Of course, YMMV. Ride safe....

I have the same issue with the stock foot boards on my K1600. It puts me in the slightly forward position.

Has anyone used handlebar risers to see if you can move them closer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone used handlebar risers to see if you can move them closer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the ilium bar risers on my bike. They raise the handlebars about 3/4 of an inch and may 1/2 an inch back towards the rider. The amount that they tilt back is limited by the stock break lines. I love my bar risers.

Jay

On my 2016 R1200RT, I have the Ilium Works front engine guards with their highway pegs. I am 5’8”, and I love the pegs. They afford me the opportunity to ride with my legs outstretched which is great on long rides. I also have my Clearwater Darla’s mounted on the front engine guards. I couldn’t be happier with these added enhancements. Of course, YMMV. Ride safe....

Ditto on the pegs. similar height to you, I find them a great relief for stretches- sometimes even hooking my heel over for some air up my leg! Since I got the Illium bar-backs, the peg use is even better- though they did what I wanted before too.

EDIT: The OP stated he has the Wunderlich engine guard- I wonder if the Illium will bolt to those guards...and if the necessary peg location would be OK. Anyone here have Illium on their Wonderlich (sounds disgusting)

Ditto on the pegs. similar height to you, I find them a great relief for stretches- sometimes even hooking my heel over for some air up my leg! Since I got the Illium bar-backs, the peg use is even better- though they did what I wanted before too.

EDIT: The OP stated he has the Wunderlich engine guard- I wonder if the Illium will bolt to those guards...and if the necessary peg location would be OK. Anyone here have Illium on their Wonderlich (sounds disgusting)

Thanks exactly what I’m trying to find out if the illium or any other manufacture work well with someone of my low stature. I’m glad to see they work for you.

Jay

Thanks exactly what I’m trying to find out if the illium or any other manufacture work well with someone of my low stature. I’m glad to see they work for you.

Jay

I'm like 5'9' ish 175 lbs
I sometimes get cramps and these have really helped (since more hydration, electrolytes and compression socks cramps are less but an alternate position works for me. Perhaps your dealer has a used bike like yours but with pegs?

How are your pegs to ride with on the highway? Do you feel awkward? Do they cause you to arch your back or anything else that may be odd?

Illium pegs bolt up to any 1 inch diameter bars. They also have shims available for smaller bars. I use them to alleviate cramping in my right hip on long days but only for short periods of time. I bought a pair on the marketplace from a fellow member at a good price.

Illium pegs bolt up to any 1 inch diameter bars. They also have shims available for smaller bars. I use them to alleviate cramping in my right hip on long days but only for short periods of time. I bought a pair on the marketplace from a fellow member at a good price.

Do you know if the Illium pegs fit between the head and the Wunderlich motor guards?

Jay

Back