Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Thinking about highway pegs

  1. #1
    Registered User motor10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Spotsylvania VA
    Posts
    56

    Thinking about highway pegs

    I have Wunderlich Engine Guards on my 2018 RT. I use it for commuting from time to time and because of the long stretches of highway was thinking about getting some highway pegs. What manufacture of highway pegs do you guys recommend or DON'T recommend and why. Also, how comfortable are they? I'm 5'8" tall with a 30" inseam. If I had highway pegs would I be able to comfortably reach them? Any info would be appreciated.

    Jay
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” - Hunter S. Thompson

  2. #2
    Registered User skibumwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    270

    Ilium - if you can afford them

    Quote Originally Posted by motor10 View Post
    I have Wunderlich Engine Guards on my 2018 RT. I use it for commuting from time to time and because of the long stretches of highway was thinking about getting some highway pegs. What manufacture of highway pegs do you guys recommend or DON'T recommend and why. Also, how comfortable are they? I'm 5'8" tall with a 30" inseam. If I had highway pegs would I be able to comfortably reach them? Any info would be appreciated.

    Jay
    Ilium Works products have all greatly impressed me with their design, fit, finish, and support. But they are NOT cheap.

    http://www.iliumworks.com/

    Highway pegs on the RT can be hard to use because you end up mounting them outside the engine cylinders so it can be a groin stretch to reach them. I usually will only use one of them at a time.

    Enjoy!
    Ski

  3. #3
    I normally ride in an upright position: I call it the sit up and beg position. When I try to use highway pegs in what I call the "Pap Smear" position common to cruiser bikes my spine arches a little bit and I get lower back pain within two or three miles. Test ride before you invest big bucks.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  4. #4
    Registered User motor10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Spotsylvania VA
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I normally ride in an upright position: I call it the sit up and beg position. When I try to use highway pegs in what I call the "Pap Smear" position common to cruiser bikes my spine arches a little bit and I get lower back pain within two or three miles. Test ride before you invest big bucks.
    I'm not sure where I can test ride the pegs but you are right I need to try them out before spending the money because they aint cheap.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” - Hunter S. Thompson

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Prairie City IA
    Posts
    87
    I put a set of cheap ones on my Illium bars. I think you will find that you will use them for a couple of minutes at a time is all. They do allow you to throw a leg up and change the seating position. Riding for a long distance with your feet up isn't real comfortable after 3 -4 minutes.
    Never get to busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

    2018 R1200 RT- 24.5K miles and counting

  6. #6
    Registered User lasnin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Susanville, California
    Posts
    82

    Ilium!

    On my 2016 R1200RT, I have the Ilium Works front engine guards with their highway pegs. I am 5’8”, and I love the pegs. They afford me the opportunity to ride with my legs outstretched which is great on long rides. I also have my Clearwater Darla’s mounted on the front engine guards. I couldn’t be happier with these added enhancements. Of course, YMMV. Ride safe....

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I normally ride in an upright position: I call it the sit up and beg position. When I try to use highway pegs in what I call the "Pap Smear" position common to cruiser bikes my spine arches a little bit and I get lower back pain within two or three miles. Test ride before you invest big bucks.
    I have the same issue with the stock foot boards on my K1600. It puts me in the slightly forward position.

    Has anyone used handlebar risers to see if you can move them closer?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Registered User motor10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Spotsylvania VA
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by stig302 View Post
    Has anyone used handlebar risers to see if you can move them closer?

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have the ilium bar risers on my bike. They raise the handlebars about 3/4 of an inch and may 1/2 an inch back towards the rider. The amount that they tilt back is limited by the stock break lines. I love my bar risers.

    Jay
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” - Hunter S. Thompson

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cooperstown NY
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by lasnin View Post
    On my 2016 R1200RT, I have the Ilium Works front engine guards with their highway pegs. I am 5’8”, and I love the pegs. They afford me the opportunity to ride with my legs outstretched which is great on long rides. I also have my Clearwater Darla’s mounted on the front engine guards. I couldn’t be happier with these added enhancements. Of course, YMMV. Ride safe....
    Ditto on the pegs. similar height to you, I find them a great relief for stretches- sometimes even hooking my heel over for some air up my leg! Since I got the Illium bar-backs, the peg use is even better- though they did what I wanted before too.

    EDIT: The OP stated he has the Wunderlich engine guard- I wonder if the Illium will bolt to those guards...and if the necessary peg location would be OK. Anyone here have Illium on their Wonderlich (sounds disgusting)

  10. #10
    Registered User motor10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Spotsylvania VA
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    Ditto on the pegs. similar height to you, I find them a great relief for stretches- sometimes even hooking my heel over for some air up my leg! Since I got the Illium bar-backs, the peg use is even better- though they did what I wanted before too.

    EDIT: The OP stated he has the Wunderlich engine guard- I wonder if the Illium will bolt to those guards...and if the necessary peg location would be OK. Anyone here have Illium on their Wonderlich (sounds disgusting)
    Thanks exactly what I’m trying to find out if the illium or any other manufacture work well with someone of my low stature. I’m glad to see they work for you.

    Jay
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” - Hunter S. Thompson

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cooperstown NY
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by motor10 View Post
    Thanks exactly what I’m trying to find out if the illium or any other manufacture work well with someone of my low stature. I’m glad to see they work for you.

    Jay
    I'm like 5'9' ish 175 lbs
    I sometimes get cramps and these have really helped (since more hydration, electrolytes and compression socks cramps are less but an alternate position works for me. Perhaps your dealer has a used bike like yours but with pegs?

  12. #12
    Registered User motor10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Spotsylvania VA
    Posts
    56
    How are your pegs to ride with on the highway? Do you feel awkward? Do they cause you to arch your back or anything else that may be odd?
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” - Hunter S. Thompson

  13. #13
    Illium pegs bolt up to any 1 inch diameter bars. They also have shims available for smaller bars. I use them to alleviate cramping in my right hip on long days but only for short periods of time. I bought a pair on the marketplace from a fellow member at a good price.

  14. #14
    Registered User motor10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Spotsylvania VA
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by burnbender View Post
    Illium pegs bolt up to any 1 inch diameter bars. They also have shims available for smaller bars. I use them to alleviate cramping in my right hip on long days but only for short periods of time. I bought a pair on the marketplace from a fellow member at a good price.
    Do you know if the Illium pegs fit between the head and the Wunderlich motor guards?

    Jay
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” - Hunter S. Thompson

Similar Threads

  1. Highway pegs
    By fletchdude in forum Wetheads
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-18-2018, 03:07 PM
  2. Blue Pegs - Highway Pegs - Worth it?
    By P944T in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 11:29 PM
  3. Highway Pegs for K75
    By heejrbmw in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 06:17 PM
  4. highway pegs
    By jaakin1 in forum Thumpers - F & G bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 09:27 PM
  5. GSA Highway Pegs
    By TOMRUNNING in forum Gear
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 08:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •