Thread: Bank of America wants too much info

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Exclamation Bank of America wants too much info

I have been pestered with phone calls from Bank of America- lately. I had been sent a questionnaire asking for more info that a passport application.....figured it was some sort of scam and chucked it. They have now moved on to the phone calls so I thought I would do some investigating- on the Web.

Bank of America is asking customers to prove citizenship to access their own money

From- https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...heir-own-money

From- https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bank-...b0cf7b00339747

I don't know what is going on.......If you are "in deep" with BOA, seems like a massive over-reach to me.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

That is funny. At my neighborhood BoA, many years ago they started to court the spanish speaking crowd by employing spanish speaking employees, signs in spanish, etc. Over the years, I have obeserved the Hispanic community go from only cashing checks at the bank(and holding on to the cash) to actually using the ATM to depoit checks, deposit/withdraw cash, etc. I would not have thought the bank worried about immigrant status; their almighty dollar was paramount to their bottom line.

Strange, indeed.
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

Maybe I am missing something, but why would you need to be a USA resident to open a bank account? I would think if you can prove your identity it would make no difference what country you live in to open an account.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Maybe I am missing something, but why would you need to be a USA resident to open a bank account? I would think if you can prove your identity it would make no difference what country you live in to open an account.
    Who knows what the vagaries of fed banking law are! A legal- non-citizen status may not be a problem but if someone were here illegally and they were working without ss# OR TID (taxpayer id#) that could be a problem as the bank MAY then be actually laundering money or some such thing.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    Who knows what the vagaries of fed banking law are! A legal- non-citizen status may not be a problem but if someone were here illegally and they were working without ss# OR TID (taxpayer id#) that could be a problem as the bank MAY then be actually laundering money or some such thing.
    If you have opened an account, loan, mortgage lately, past few years, itís rather complicated to get going. BOA, is requesting way too much information just to have BOA supply a credit card.
    I havenít seen other CC providers ask for more information from long time CC customers.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    If you have opened an account, loan, mortgage lately, past few years, itís rather complicated to get going. BOA, is requesting way too much information just to have BOA supply a credit card.
    I havenít seen other CC providers ask for more information from long time CC customers.
    OM
    agreed...their app was a pia too...bye bye BOA

Forget the whole mortgage thing with ANY bank- it's exasperating!

But to your original point and PoorUB's musing- non-citizenship shouldn't be an issue, legal status might legitimately be an issue for the bank- but if they are the only ones doing that then something is rotten in the state of BOA

This issue has more to do with massive amounts of illegal drug money being moved around the world, much of it through legal banking systems. BoA may be "overreaching" a bit with their interpretations of the fed monetary laws, but I suspect all of us suffer some amount of this sort of privacy invasion with our banks. I am a long-time customer (30+ years) with my local bank and I still was asked for what I considered too much personal info and too much "nosyness" when I opened a new account for my college granddaughter. I simply bit my tongue and filled out the forms . . . (sigh)
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST